1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The ugly cycle of abuse continues. Seems to me we were in the reconciliation phase - making up for past mistakes (OBrien) offering some hope of a new future, a new "culture" some calm and then some tension starts building reports of the team talking to the ex side chick who got you in trouble instead of the smarter choices and all of a sudden BAM b**** STFU AND GO GET ME A COLD BEER!! IM HIRING NICK CASERIO AND YOU CAN SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND IF YOU DONT LIKE JUST LEAVE! Black eye incident phase - fans sad and dejected - same old sht with these guys and you have to ask yourself how long? How long before fans just have enough and stop showing up and force these pathetic owners to sell to someone who is more invested in a winning than mimicking another franchise like monkeys? Undoubtedly McDaniels or Patricia or some other Patriot Way reject will pick up an important role and the team will continue to flounder because it surrounds everyone with YES MEN instead of truly qualified candidates. Optics just suck with this hire and everything that is about to unfold in another disgusting display of career nepotism. Watch Tim kelly while he had an OK year will be retained as OC regardless of a head coach. Why? He shares an agent with Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio. You'll see.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The tweet was about Kenosha people damn

delta69er and airflights92 like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Relax. I meant that Trevor Lawrence lost the heisman race. That was it.

could also have been about no charges filed against officer who shot Blake.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s exactly what it was about I get it people want to bash the Texans and hiring Caserio or whatever but some things are bigger then sports.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Texans dont want to win. They want YES MEN who will be subservient and allow the game of cards to be played with executives while the team suffers.

coaching "search" LOL - Welcome to Houston Josh McDaniels!

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Man this depresses me so much.
    Poll didn't have a regular dislike so I had to choose hate.
    You can't look back at the recent track record of the Patriots draft picks and personnel moves and have any confidence in the world in this hiring.

It's become clear that Brady was masking the deficiencies of the team for awhile.
    They have not been able to find a wr for quite some time now, Edelman was their last good get.
    Not just bad college scouting but even their trades for wr's haven't worked out either.

Even some of their "hits" on the o-line I would attribute more to their wunder-coach Dante Scharneccia, kinda like Alex Gibbs used to be here.
    No their roster has atrophied much like ours has.
    I have no confidence at all that Caserio will be able to identify players late in the draft to build our roster.

I wonder if Cal is just sheltered and has no idea whatsoever that popular sentiment is here in Houston.
    I also wonder if he has been apprising Deshaun of this prospective gm hire to see what he thinks about it.
    This sure isn't a "new" direction!
    If Cal causes us to lose Deshaun eventually I'll be ready to see him rode out of town, maybe even before Tilman!

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

Maybe this will end up being a good hire, but this franchise has lost all benefit of the doubt and any trust that they know what they are doing. Before any further chips fall or decisions are made, at the outset, this just looks like a lazy hire - simply circled back to a guy that wanted before.

Nook, Hey Now!, magman and 3 others like this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well get ready to welcome our new head coach. Josh McDaniels.

Rudyc281 and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. Stoli

Stoli Member

This.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It's what I expected all along. That whole "hiring a search firm to look for the next GM" was all PR bullshit to give the illusion of a competent professional search. Caserio was not recommended by said search firm. The first domino has fallen.

coachbadlee and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Always thought Caserio looked a little familiar for some reason.
    Now I know why.
    Can't take credit for this, but find it hilarious! (or at least a little abby-normal)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brothers from another?

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

What do you get when you try NE South but without Brady? Houston Texans last 7 years!

coachbadlee likes this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

What a disaster McDaniels is! Everyone in Denver hated that guy, HE REALLY BELIEVES HE'S BILL BELICHEK!

coachbadlee likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Texans have become a living, breathing Spiderman-pointing meme.

What’s old, is new again. Bill O’Brien with a side of Jack Easterby has become Nick Caserio, with a side of Jack Easterby likely still in place.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Or as Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson put it in a late-night tweet after it was reported the Texans had a deal in place to make Caserio the next general manager: “Some things never change”

OBLIGATORY AND CRUCIAL DISCLAIMER: Caserio deserves a chance to prove things will, in fact, be different as Patriots South entrenches itself at NRG Stadium yet again.

SPOILER ALERT: It won’t happen.

And the reason the new czar won’t get that chance is not so much because of his resume, which can be interpreted any number of ways, given the relative all-encompassing power his former Patriots boss Bill Belichick had with the Patriots.

It’s because of how Caserio’s hiring came about.

It had all the markings of Easterby wagging the dog, convincing Texans CEO Cal McNair to make the search for a new regime look open-minded and all-encompassing, but in reality simply putting on a show.

It all came across as a well-orchestrated sham – the hiring of a search firm, the building of a committee of advisers, the interviewing of candidates from every corner of the league.

If the search truly was unbiased and fresh, would McNair have landed on Caserio?

Consider: Watson just this week said the Texans needed a culture change and, “too many people think they have this power.”

Yet Caserio is an extension of the Patriots Way that brought former coach Bill O’Brien and the Easterby-Caserio relationship has all the markings of being a similar two-headed monster like the previous regime.

Caserio even often uses the same catchphrases and terms that Easterby often does: Serve. Be the best he can be. Tough, smart, dependable.

McNair went out of his way to say the decision to hire a new coach and GM was going to be his and his alone, even very publicly announcing the hiring of the search firm Korn-Ferry.

Yet while interviewees for the GM job Matt Bazirgan, Trent Kirchner, Omar Khan, Louis Riddick and Scott Cohen all were recommended by Korn Ferry, Caserio was not. Hmmm.

McNair equally very publicly announced a search committee of highly respected NFL and sports power brokers who he said would assist and influence the search.

Yet the committee never met and by many accounts proved to be a committee in McNair’s view only. When asked about interviewing Spurs GM R.C. Buford, who was on the committee, a Spurs spokesman said, “We have enough on our plates … Will let the Texans tell their story on their current and future organizational plans.”

Super Bowl winning coach Tony Dungy even said, “No. Don’t start the rumor … all of a sudden it became, you’re on a committee … I’m not picking the person, all I’m doing is giving Mr. McNair a formula.”

McNair also said Easterby would not be a part of the interviewing or hiring process.

Yet SportsRadio 610’s John McClain reported on Chron.com that Easterby flew to New England with Cal McNair to pick up Caserio and bring him to Houston for his official interview.

Meet the new boss. Then again, no need. You know him already. Or more precisely, you know them.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. showa13

showa13 Member

After sleeping on everything, I guess I don't feel as bad as I did yesterday. As someone posted before Caserio was recommended by the search firm, so in that instance there was no rogue move by Cal/Easterbunny. And Caserio knows Easterbunny very well and I bet he's adept at reading the room. He should be up on the fact that Easterbunny has little to no knowledge of how a team should be ran, and that he's a very unpopular figure within the organization. A Caserio power move of having Easterbunny shot out of a cannon would be the most reassuring move, I unfortunately doubt that happens but it's wishful thinking. As to the coaching search, I haven't seen any reputable sources say McDaniels is an actual candidate, just quite a bit of logical speculation but nothing solid. I do think that Daboll becomes the top candidate as I do think there will be some Pats overlap. Still not sold at all on any of this, just don't feel as doom and gloomy as I did yesterday.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Dude looks like he’s pumped up full of adderall. No wonder he could take care of 20 different titles within the Pats organization.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yep and we know how that turns out.