1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-season 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 13, 2020.

1. dookiester

dookiester Member

Lol at thinking you need to waste a draft pick to pick up Sam ehlinger. Bigger lol at thinking he is worth adding as a qb at all (maybe he can be a decent fullback).

2. payaso

payaso Member

The Tea-sip hate is strong here... seems my post count has averaged 24 a year for a reason.

"Ehlinger sucks" is not an argument. I'm inclined to assert "Social media sucks" in reply.

UT may be an ineffective program when it comes to winning but it regularly unloads quality contributors onto NFL teams.

The Texans need more athletic assets.

Maybe this proposal would be unnecessary if the O-line could protect #4 but he's gonna get killed, sooner or later, with the current arrangement.

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

nobody suggested an argument was taking place here. assert away. as a UT grad i have no reason to hate on ehlinger, but it seems like you're suggesting the texans draft him in lieu of trying to shore up positions of need, because you're thinking ehlinger will be BPA and/or because he's worth taking a flyer on because if the texans are unable to build around watson, maybe they can rebuild around ehlinger after the watson era. if that's your proposal, good luck to you and i look forward to hearing about how ehlinger is taking the nfl by storm in 5 years. or maybe i read you wrong and you're actually suggesting, bc ehlinger is such an athletic asset, we can plug him into the holes on our offensive line. which actually might be a more viable way for him to help the texans than running him out at QB.

payaso likes this.
  4. payaso

payaso Member

I'm actually saying I strongly doubt they'll be able to shore up positions of greatest roster need after the first 2 rounds, from which they are absent. (The areas of greatest overall organizational need is the entire coaching staff and front office, which would consistently rate a John McClain "F-minus cuz I can't give 'em a G"). They do have 8 picks from the 3rd round on, so let's stipulate that you're someone in the control room on Draft Day- do you see your run protection problems solved when on offense? Who can you draft to stop the run on defense? Is there anyone there to keep #4 from being routinely wrecked off the edge? To me, the whole thing points towards a BPA draft until you can evaluate / draft best-of-breed in the first 2 rounds.

I'm sure I sound like a jock-rider for Ehlinger, but to your point (taken at face value for my purposes), an athletic asset like Ehlinger could be a special teams commando while #4 is still upright, and be able to saddle up as a bigger-stronger-faster Case Keenum-type spark plug when the line collapses and #4 is left twitching on the turf. He doesn't shy away from the moment- unless you're an anti-football Longhorn grad like my eldest daughter, you've probably witnessed that yourself.

Let's open this up a bit - anyone else think this is a BPA or targeted-need draft, and any other BPA prospects out there besides the Longhorn QB?

#2004 payaso, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. Buck Turgidson

Just stop it. Sam could be a solid 3rd string rookie QB, that's all for a couple of years and maybe he gets to be a backup eventually. He's not a great athlete like Taysom Hill, and he's frankly not a very smart QB. His running style and lack of pocket awareness will get him broken within 20 snaps or so in the NFL. He may last longer than that, because he is indeed tougher than hell, I'll give him that.

I've only watched every game he's played, maybe I'm just drunk on that "tea-sip hate"?

6. payaso

payaso Member

Maybe you are, IDK. No idea how team scouting is projecting the 8 picks but they won't be, barring a miracle, any transformational pieces available. I'll take a tough / tough-minded SOB with one of them, and Sam's my guy for that.
    Peace out.

#2006 payaso, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021