1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

a college rescinded her acceptance...stuff like that happens often if your social media history gets exposed and it’s not flattering

1 of my friends has a son in medical school, and 1 of the kids just got kicked out last year because of some things he had said on Twitter in the past

don’t say n***er and post it online...it’s really not that hard, and it’s not something that takes being an adult to know

DVauthrin likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And we are saying that type of recourse is going to far. Just because you provided an example of someone else being a victim of absurd consequences, doesn't mean they aren't a victim. Your friend is a victim. People work their entire young lives to get to that school of choice or go to med school. A singular slip up of a word at 15 doesn't merit that drastic level of recourse.

It's a very Puritian conservative view on justice and punishment.

A pattern of behavior is what I need to see in someone to yeet them out of college.

Tomstro likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Black have done the same.

Ever been around Africans?

White people also use it the same as blacks, I have white friends and we use it among friends.

You don't have say anything about rap music but its implied by what you are saying.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t do stuff like post u saying the word n***er online, it’s not that hard, and it’s not something u need a fully developed frontal lobe to know...millions of kids manage to do it

or it will result in young impressionable people realizing that what they say or post online has consequences...

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She did not post it online so it seems you need to do a little research and no acceptance is not rescinded all the time for stuff like this or half of all college students especially blacks would not get accepted.

Tomstro likes this.
  6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The streets should run red with her blood.

Space Ghost and Tomstro like this.
  7. fchowd0311

Boy oh boy are some congitive scientists who study brain development pulling their hair reading your bullshit.

Knowing right and wrong and impulse control and being easily influenced by peers and your surroundings are things kids who don't have fully developed frontal lobes struggle with. Again, you honestly believe one slip up at 15 merits her life being turned upside down?

A 15 year old who drinks and drives probably understands before hand that it's morally wrong. The problem is impulse control hence why a 15 year old who kills someone because of drunk driving is goin to be treated differently in the court system than a 25 year old.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

she posted it on Snapchat...

it’s in the very article u posted

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

So how do millions of kids know not to say the n-word or post themselves saying it online?

10. fchowd0311

Millions of kids don't drink and drive. We still treat kids with manslaughter charges from drinking and driving differently than adults because of advancements in cognitive science over the past century and understanding brain development better.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Poor judgmental call. Doesn't deserve to lose her admission to college or to not be a cheerleader over it though IMO. Seems like she's making the most of her existing opportunities going to a community college and is still pursuing her goals. It's odd to me. I've had former friends on Facebook that I've smoked weed with that would use the hard r around me when referring to someone they served at a restaurant. The customer wasn't even black either. They also had black friends they'd never even come close to saying anything racist like that around and would use the profile picture change of BLM too and probably would identify as not racist despite only ever using the hard r around white or hispanic people assuming we'd just be cool with it too. People are ****ing stupid is all I'm saying.

There's some power trip people get off in saying it and I don't get it personally but whatever. And yet I love love love love rap music that is not above saying a or r repeatedly. If it slips once and you're on something, I try to let it slide but it is divulging a side of you that is there I didn't otherwise assume existed until it slipped. If it it's a repeated pattern though, then ya man, **** off. From the one Twitter video, she strikes me as the type to say it casually around people she feels comfortable with. I seriously doubt it's her first time to say it. Doubt it'll be her last even after going through this. Some people change and get called hypocrites by their contemporaries. But better to be a hypocrite that learned from your mistakes than someone who never changes IMO.

DVauthrin likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

and she got her college acceptance rescinded...a consequence that happens often when social media history gets exposed

there’s a reason why kids are always warned to watch what they post or to erase any bad content from from their FB, Twitter, IG, etc when applying to college or things like med school...

for some reason, she’s supposed to be special because her poor little underdeveloped frontal lobe couldn’t give her the common sense to not post her saying n***er on social media

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I didn't make any leaps in conclusions about the girl but I will now. She may not be a racist but it damn well looks like the classmates at her school as racist as hell and she's damn sure comfortable using a vile and racist word, so comfortable that she did it on video and like most things that happen on video it's probably happened many times off of video. And if you read the New York Times piece, this is the context. A deep pattern of racism without consequence in the one of the richest districts in the country in a town named after Robert E. Lee in the home of the Confederacy. **** that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/26/...cial-slurs.html#click=https://t.co/cgIsjgMKp3

You know on a more local level, remember this video? Did a bunch of conservatives come run up to whine about cancel culture? No, they surely did not. It's only cancel culture when they get caught and face consequences for it. Otherwise it's just personal responsibility and yadda yadda.

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

not so my friend. Rolling hills and mansions. Very well off area

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Yea that's the first thing that came to mind.

DVauthrin and Reeko like this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It doesn't matter. She knows better. 15 years knows what that word means to many people. Was shitty for him to wait to release.....or even release it at all? Sure. However, don't put yourself in that situation.

DVauthrin likes this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You sound like "White people should be able to say the word, if black people can...It is not Fair!". Please, the world is not fair. The context when a black person saying it is not the same. Sorry. One thing that is Black privilege....if u call it that.

VooDooPope likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

So I'm assuming you believe children should be tried as adults? Because I'm sure a 15 year old knows that manslaughter or drinking and driving is wrong.

Understanding the limitations of 15 year olds isn't understanding "right vs wrong". It's impulse control. It's not fully understanding all the ramficarions for your actions.

19. fchowd0311

Man my opinion of posters are sinking so low right now. So now because the town she is from has a lot of racists, she should be the brunt of collective punishment?

Dude, this is draconian as ****.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

play stupid games and win stupid prizes.