1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man I feel kinda disappointed. Surprised so many here lack empathy for someone just because they came from a decent family or they are white. 15 year old white girls from middle class families deserve empathy also.

She has zero other history of racial "slip ups'. She sang along to a song and directed at no one when she was 15. That really should prevent someone college admissions? Really?

A pattern of behavior I understand, but this one off incident really defines someone especially when they were 15?

This is absurdly irrational.

Nook and Tomstro like this.
  2. fchowd0311

Like I said, I'm disappointed. Like for years I've told right wingers that they absurdly overreact to "cancel culture" and that people are generally more reasonable and will utilize context. You are strengthening their point.

Nook likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes. Didn't really expect that, and I can understand why people would be outraged by the casual way in which she said it. The inability to forgive the stupid transgressions of children who are apologetic and see the errors in their ways is also kind of outrageous, though.

4. fchowd0311

It's more outrageous in my opinion. Because the later involves adults being this irrational and the former involves a child being irrational.

Nook, Tomstro and durvasa like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are u fcking kidding me? She wasn’t singing along to any song, stop saying that. Listen to the song playing in the background, and tell me u hear the lyrics “I can drive n***ers. She made a statement while a song was playing in the background, she wasn’t singing anything. She probably was saying it all the time, this was the just 1 time her dumbass recorded herself doing it. She felt quite comfortable saying it on camera, and u think there’s no pattern of behavior? U really can’t be this naive, can u?

don’t record yourself saying the n-word, period

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I couldn’t care less...I have zero tolerance for idiots throwing out racial slurs, especially the n-word with a hard er

RedRedemption likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is it different?

So rap songs are only for black people?

Interesting?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

Okay and I'm telling you are are extremely stupid and irrational to not utilize context. Your strength in being headstrong about a subject matter doesn't make you more morally righteous. This type of vindicitivr attitude isn't going to help anyone. All it would do is make casual young racists who can be saved deepen their views.

She was 15. She has no other history of racial slip ups. It wasn't directed at anyone. The person who released it did it 3 years after she did it not out of principle but because he had a personal fall out with her. The motive behind it was petty. This whole thing is petty. She did something stupid for one second at the age of 15. Her future in higher education shouldn't be ruined because of it. If you think it does, you are a bad person. Full stop.

DVauthrin and Tomstro like this.
  9. fchowd0311

The clip was literally less than 2 seconds. The fact that the person who released the video edited so precisely to only include the 1.5 seconds in the video, tells me that the person has insincere motives along with the fact he waited three years until they got into an argument.

Again, she was 15 and had no other racial slip up incidents. She was apologetic. She still got kicked out of University of Tennessee, a good school that she probably worked hard to get accepted into.

Stop being a dick.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know how she got into the habit of using that word. Probably the fact that it is used in a lot of popular music is part of it, and I guess her social group uses it in a generic way (like "homies" or whatever) and that influenced her.

We should be able to draw a clear line between casually (and foolishly) using the word in a non-racial way, which appears to be the case here, and using it specifically to refer to black people in an attempt to demean them. And that should factor in to the punishment we inflict on someone who uses the word, along with their age.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just because she felt comfortable using it does not make her racist, millions of young white teens use it and its not used derogatorily.

So using this word shows a pattern of what behavior?

It was obviously used just like black people use and not as a slur.

If we actually want to be looked at as equals we can't arbitrarily rule who can and cannot use a word, context matters.

If we are gonna start canceling people for using the word then we got to cancel a lot of pop culture.

Nook, Tomstro and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m telling u u are stupid as hell thinking she was singing some song lyrics...u were way off right from the start, and have yet to correct yourself

“young casual racists deepen their views”...lmao, what a load of sh*t...there’s consequences for tossing out racial slurs, especially if you’re dumb enough to record yourself doing so...maybe these young casual racists will at least learn not to blast their racism on social media

there’s a reason why u should always watch what u post online

DVauthrin likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If they start cosigning this type of stuff.

Yes.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Especially these days. This isn't a 30 year old video surfacing. How hard is it to not say racist ****? Is it really that hard?

VooDooPope likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

black people do not use the n-word with a hard er...neither does pop culture...

the n-word with a hard er is always derogatory

stop...

RedRedemption and Andre0087 like this.
  17. fchowd0311

Do you know what age the frontal lobe is fully developed? Do you know what the frontal lobe is responsible for?

15 year olds slip up. There are varying degrees of slipping up like murder or a hate crime etc. And then there is a girl who said the N word once not directed towards anybody in a malicious intent when she was 15 and apologized for it and didn't "double down" like actual racists do. If you believe she deserves her life being turned upside down for that, you are a bad person.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dude, don't say the word on Video. Easy. I'm black....I don't use any form of ******/***** in conversation...EVER. She wasn't singing a song, she used to brag about being able to drive. It is EASY. If you are by yourself, singing a song......don't film yourself doing it. LOL. It is NOT ok for white people to use the word. I cringe when Black people use ***** all the time in conversation or in "mixed company". I hate that Drake uses it in every other sentence in many of his songs (although he may be reducing its use).

Don't use the word. It won't end well for white people. In 47 years, I've only heard ONE white person use it in my presence...that was almost 30 years ago. And they apologized...

My wife (white) of 21 years...been together for 24....has NEVER used it.

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

the n-word with a hard er is not used in a lot of popular music...

RedRedemption likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

I would say this adds a lot of fuel to their rhetoric. Don't know if this stuff alone is enough to increase GOP turnout or have people "walk away" because there are so many other pressing issues of higher importance.

Nook likes this.