1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Books that should be made into movies or series.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah it wasn't really even remotely related - Movie Z was just another big budget zombie film.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

haven't seen the series, but what i understand is that they took the world and characters of dresden but didn't use the actual stories.

the books are really great! first few books are decent, but series gets better and better as the author becomes better with experience. they are page turners as a straight detective novels, then layer on the fantasy elements and character development and it becomes special :)

malakas, Joe Joe and jiggyfly like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is a kind way of putting it. I don't remember Marcone being in it, and Murphy was a brunette giant in comparison to the book version.

I enjoyed the series, but it was nothing plot wise like the books.

saitou likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

[​IMG]

Probably my favourite Star Wars novels and would be perfect for a series or movie trilogy.

McNultyisDrunk likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My top 3 that I've read that should be made into a film series:

1. Lord of the Rings

This book series might be the best epic ever and it deserves a film series made by a true master of film. I'm thinking Mel Brooks to direct, George Clooney to play the wizard and Kristen Stewart as Frodo Bagginses.

2. Game of Thrones

I know the books left off with John dying and we have no idea if he'll come back, but imagine Sacha Baron Cohen's rendition of John. He's a bit old, but Sacha is such a good actor. I think he could play a good Queen Elizabeth if given the chance. Hell, he should play Danaerys too if he wants that part.

3. Star Wars

Can you imagine a fight with those laser sword thingys?

dmoneybangbang, jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

We're in the era of TV arguably being better than movies, and you can remove time constraints if you go a series route. You could do 2-3 books a season and you would have 6-8 years worth of solid material for a Dresden series, more if you count the comics and short stories, all of which are considered cannon.

I'm in the process of re-reading the entire Dresden run in chronological order right now, and I can say I could see book 1 as 3-4 episodes.

By the way, the recent duology (two books that should be read together) are fantastic. You could tell that Butcher was finding his footing after a layoff but he really got going. He's a prolific writer and has said he thinks Dresden will go 20+ books, and I don't think we'll have to wait another five years for him to wrap it up like Martin.

malakas, saitou and Yung-T like this.
  7. don grahamleone

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

May the quality of your valve last an eternity.

JumpMan likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There's no way -- maybe a cartoon movie.

Xerobull and jiggyfly like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I think it's awesome that yall named 4 books that I have re-read during the covid:

WWZ
    Blood Meridian
    Confederacy of Dunces
    Don Quixote (partial)

The Son would be awesome, mixed in with other proper Texas history, and not the b.s. thing they tried to do on tv.

JumpMan and don grahamleone like this.
  10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Amazon Studios is producing a Wheel of Time show.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Yall are getting way to seriously in depth into the SciFi nerdlevel.

Any of yall read Red Mars; Green Mars; Blue Mars?

Just the first book would make a fantastic series or something...plenty of stuff to keep it going after that.

12. don grahamleone

What did you think of Confederacy of Dunces? I would seriously enjoy hearing yours' or anyone's reviews on here. I should probably read it again, but when I read it a decade or more ago.. holy crap was that man funny. John Kennedy Toole deserves, in my opinion, something higher than the Pulitzer Prize he won though that may be rather impossible. What he wrote touched an inner clown that when touching your own inner clown, made life feel regulated and made me laugh at myself. At times, out loud. Not many writers can do such a thing for me in the long form.

JumpMan, jo mama and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Ludicrously fun when I was a teenager, more fun the 2nd time in my late 20's...even better the 3rd time now.

Yung-T and don grahamleone like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ive read the first 3. and agree.

Ill throw out there the only book i have read in my life twice. make enders game and speaker of the dead (only read once) into a well done tv series. it would be amazing. Orson Scott Card actaully has a few series that could be good. and yes i know he is a dipsh*t which could hurt this from actually happening.

15. don grahamleone

I've always been the type to pass a book I enjoyed to the next person I thought would enjoy it. I passed Dunces on long ago, but you're making me think I should go buy it again. Lord knows my library ain't opening anytime soon.

16. Buck Turgidson

Have you read any of the Kim Stanley Robertson (spelling?): Red Mars...and the next 2 books?

17. Buck Turgidson

Also a great question: what books are worthy of reading a 2nd+ time, every 10 years or so?

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No. I’ll look into it. I don’t think I have even heard of the author or series. School has severely screwed up my reading. I need less internet and more books probably.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have never wanted to read a book twice, interesting because I will watch shows and movies multiple times.

#39 jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Anne Rice books need to done as a series, I am talking about the ones that have a historical content.

The Vampire Lestat.

The Vampire Armand.

Blood and Gold.

I know there is vampire fatigue so a series on the Mayfair Witches would be great it's actually something tailor made for the CW but it would be better on a cable site would love for BBC or AMC to do it.

After looking at her bibliography I realized that there are a number of books I missed and that she has some recent ones.

I really loved her books when I was younger.