1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just looked him up and convinced we need to hire this man today.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I think Shaw is deserving of being an NFL coach, as he isn't a glorified coordinator like some of the coaches being hired the last decade, he is an actual organizer and culture setter.

As you know I have been very outspoken about the Texans, but I agree with you, it appears that Cal is doing a thorough and exhaustive search and even looking at guys like Ozzie Newsome who may not leave the Ravens, but at a minimum the effort is being made. What I keep hoping is that Cal McNair (unlike his father) actually loves football. So Cal is likely going to be more invested in the team than his father.

I agree with you on Watson as well, we have a limited window and need to take advantage of it. I get the appeal of the Jacksonville and Chargers jobs. The Chargers have a lot of talent and the Jags will bring in the top ranked QB since Andrew Luck. Still, there is something to be said about getting a top 5 QB like Watson right as he enters his prime.

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Your 1st mind is correct, THEY HAVE TO NAIL BOTH!

A great GM will find the right coach IMO.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The McNairs are not *bad* owners - they're patient; they spend; they (mostly) stay out of the way and out of the spotlight... If they had two decades of success, everyone would love them as owners.

That doesn't mean they don't make bad decisions. They do. Handing GM duties to Bill O'Brien was an epically *bad* idea. But that doesn't mean they are bad.

If they nail these two hires and continue to be patient, willing to spend and stay out of it...........

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Riiiiiight... Here's why I don't believe in Cal getting this right:

Cal has "announced" that they intend to interview Nick Caserio for GM. Who recommended Nick to Cal? Easterby. Who is good friends with Nick? Easterby. Who is going to still be lurking around in the background if Cal hires Nick? Easterby. So what we'll wind up with here is (yet) another incarnation of "The Patriot Way" with clueless Cal at the helm. The McNairs are stupid and no amount of patience or money is going to change this. We keep expecting the idiots responsible for screwing everything up to somehow magically get it right "this time" and that just never happens - especially as far as professional football in Houston is concerned. As it was with the Oilers and Bud Adams the more things change, the more they remain the same.

6. Hey Now!

Nick Caserio is a highly-regarded general manager candidate who is being interviewed by multiple teams. Last year, the Patriots filed a tampering charge in order to keep him. And until they hire Nick Caserio, none of your doom-and-gloom matters.

Rudyc281 and csj like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

That’s freaking ridiculous, what are they doing? how could you not try to interview bienemy?

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ozzie Newsome would be a wet dream come true.

Rudyc281 and mikol13 like this.
  10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I can't imagine they won't. They just haven't requested an interview with him yet. If for some reason they don't end up requesting one that would be really dumb, but right now they're most likely focusing on the GM first. Then I'd imagine they'll let the GM submit more interview requests for HC candidates. I do agree though that it's a little strange that they haven't put in a request yet.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Regarding Caserio possibly being a favorite to land the GM spot, Adam Wexler pointed out on Twitter that Caserio was on Pats staff w/ Daboll for 6 years. The whole Easterby fiasco aside, I wouldn't mind a Caserio-Daboll GM/HC combo one bit. Easterby is the big problem though.

13. Hey Now!

Yeah - they really need a GM now-ish. Sooner the better on the head coach - but GM more pressing, IMO.

red5rocket, texans1095 and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Sigh, it's not gloom and doom but observation. So I ask you this: So they bring in Caserio as GM. Exactly what is going to change? Do you honestly expect them to make a clean break with what's been going on in the building if Nick and his "good buddy" are calling the shots? More importantly, what about that scenario would indicate that we won't be getting (yet) another reincarnation of "The Patriots Way"? I understand your optimistic (and hopeful) position but questioning the intentions (and abilities) of Cal and the other guys in the room is not engaging in "gloom and doom". As far as I'm concerned, this organization has a long way to go before they earn my trust.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Looks like we’ve already interviewed 3 HC candidates which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if Cal is sticking with his word.

Honestly, I’m sticking with my theory that Easterby is trying to muck things up to get his buddy Caserio hired. If you are a GM candidate, you have to be questioning why HC interviews are being conducted right now.

16. Hey Now!

You're getting upset about a scenario that exists... only in your head. I don't care about all the things you're upset about. Wins is all I care about. Nick Caserio is a highly-regarded general manager candidate and if he puts a great team on the field and they win.......

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  17. Hey Now!

.......... They're being conducted right now because the Texans are competing with other teams for these head coaches and waiting would lessen the available pool.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Color me jaded, but I honestly want no part in any of the Patriots coaching tree/management team.

I just haven't seen a great example of any of the limbs branching off and holding root within an organization... their best they could show for was shown the door after just a few games this season.

Hard pass for me.

19. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Deshaun said it best. We need a culture change. Constantly continuing this New England obsession is ridiculous. It’s time to let it go. I don’t want Caserio. I don’t want Easterby here. Hell I don’t even want Keion Crossen here anymore. I want nothing to do with the Patriots or any of their former coaches or staff under Bill Belichick. Belichick and Brady have/had the sauce. They had a fantastic run for 2 decades. Best coach/ qb combo of all time. But the nfl is changing. Philosophy is changing. Give me someone who will change the damn culture on Kirby and hold people accountable from top to bottom. The “buddy buddy” New England connection is so tiring at this point. I can’t speak for everyone else but I know I want someone who will inject some life and excitement into this organization and I don’t think anyone from New England does that for me. What’s caserio gunna do? Bring josh mcdaniels to be his HC? No thanks bruh

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It’s very interesting with Eric B.

If I’m not mistaken I remember somebody mentioned how he wasn’t going to to do a lot of interviews maybe like 3 tops. I think his agent mentioned it.

And at the moment we don’t happen to be none of the teams.

houston19519 likes this.