1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You're talking about a group of guys who are traditionally starters being used as relievers in the playoffs. Yeah, those guys are OK with the additional workload - starters are traditionally better pitchers whose velocity and "stuff" play up when they can concentrate on an inning or two in relief as opposed to a traditional workload. I've never seen a traditional closer add that many innings, and I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it working out. The stress on arms isn't a one-to-one correlation with innings pitched - the types of pitches thrown and the 110% type effort put into traditional closing pitching plays a part.

msn and mikol13 like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

To me if we could sign Hendriks, Brantley. I’d be ok with going into the season with journeyman CF like Straw or Profar. Go really hard after Correa next year after Verlander and Greinke are gone or trade him for a boatload of high end prospects.

everyday eddie and Joe Joe like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have no problem stocking the pen with traditional starters as they are better pitchers as long as they get adequate rest between starts.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I agree with that approach. I think there are some starters who aren't cut out for a bullpen role, but there are plenty out there who could. I think that several versatile arms would work better than paying an elite closer and hoping he could expand his role.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Chris Cotillo of Masslive.com tweeted out the same thing yesterday. Never heard of him but looks like he's a verified Red Sox beat writer. On Climbing Tals Hill, they mentioned last year Will Smith got a 3 year $40 mil deal and Hendricks is better than Smith so he'll probably command more. CTH also said the Astros are still on Osuna. Is this true? If they can't sign any of the top relievers, he's plan B? Is Osuna for sure healthy?

raining threes likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is the win now type of approach that I would prefer, but expect Click will try to spread it out on players that will likely not degrade in value as quickly (not counting Profar).

raining threes likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I really think Click is waiting for Springer and maybe Bauer to sign before doing his thing. Don’t really think it will be Hendricks or Hand, but one of the next tier reliever. He has to sign at least one offensive outfielder, probably Brantley or Bradley jr.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Joe Joe likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You are probably right. I think teams (not owners, but don't see any of them coughing up money besides Cohen) are going to run out of money with some decent players taking very low deals. Considering the number of meh outfielders and pitchers, it benefits Click if he chooses to bargain bin shop.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bradley Jr is an offensive OF'er?

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No he is not. My bad

15. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Why would Springer goto Toronto beside the money. He doesn't seem like a Toronto guy.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Would be awesome to see Springer and Harden end up in Toronto

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And David Johnson could go to the Argonauts for good measure

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looks like it may get a little harry for the Braves if the Mets get Springer.