1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebounds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, Jan 4, 2021.

1. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Good point. He has the size + athleticism of a modern 4. But how much would he help on defense. I've only seen him play < than 5 games. Intriguing option should we possibly move EGo. I believe their salaries are similar
    @D-rock

Edit: contracts same AAV but EGo is 2 years longer. Not sure how we'd acquire other than a Ego/House plus pick

#61 RustyHarden, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  2. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

D-rock and BamBam like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a suggestion, but sure, you have your own point of view.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's not about height, the Rockets just don't box out. Getting outhustled for boards last night.

D-rock likes this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We are playing lazy on DEFENSE and each player is waiting for the other player to rebound...no energy. We need Cousin at the 5 and Wood at the 4....we need another BIG coming off the bench to block and rebound for the team.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Would only update that to chicken-fried steak, central-TX style, with gravy.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gordon can't guard bigs....it kills his legs and therefore his shot!

We need him off the bench, we need a true PF at the 4 position.

DD

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My bad, suggesting our best and cheapest option from last season when we are hard capped. I guess we should just go get Vucevic and Love? He's capable of a box out and thats really the main point in getting better at team rebounding. At times, Green was our 3rd best player on the floor last year just due to fit. He can pass, roll, and shoot too. Wood is capable of playing the 4/5 next to another 4/5 hybrid. What does a "true 4" even mean in 2021? Turning up your nose at playable guys with literally 0 options is just message board hubris to me, lol.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lol you are taking this quite personally. The thread is discussing our rebounding issue. Your post suggested Jeff Green as an option. I simply disagreed. No need to be in your feelings and judge. Now that’s foolishness. Btw putting an undersized guy without rebounding proficiency next to a soft stick isn’t going to work. Thanks for your time though.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Guy, this is a message board. When you banter at someone that their opinion is silly, they're gonna banter back. My last post was all about basketball. Not this one though, because now we made it weird.

Beat me with the merits of your argument. lol. If Jeff Green is a silly option I'd love to know who we could've snagged that would've been better in the offseason. Really, I do, because we desperately need a defensive SF/PF!

I guess I just expected Stephen_A to be feistier.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I never said ur point is silly man. I made my point. If u read my posts I’m just about facts, analysis, and assessments. Your opinion. My opinion. Nothing more.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

People talk abt Wood being too light to battle but a big part of his problem is he ball watches and does not move into position to box guys out until they’ve already made their move to the ball. As soon as the shot goes up he needs to put a body on someone.

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I know the era of centers is long gone, but shorties boxing out night in night out still sounds like a recipe for back problems without proper conditioning.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

AG is at his elite best in Iso defense.

But he's not bad defending low post at all.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

I meant to say if the opposing team puts bigs in their lineups we are screwed.

17. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Wall 6'3 Gordon 6'3
    Harden 6'5. House 6'6
    Nwaba 6'5. Sterling 6'5
    Pj. 6'5. Tate. 6'4
    Wood 6'10. Cousins 6'10
    The average height of our sf and pf is 6'5 ,that's why they can't rebound and protect the paint, wood can't do everything by himself

D-rock likes this.
  18. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

pretty much this. it's not really about height or length when it comes to rebounds. barkley, rodman, ben wallace... these guys were 6'4" - 6'7" in height and still outrebounded everyone by boxing out, being great at anticipating how the ball will bounce off the rim, and just wanting that rebound more.

no one this team save for maybe cousins, tate, and sometimes pj knows how to box out properly.

D-rock and Kevooooo like this.
  19. Fefo

Fefo Member

Yeah, except that all those guys you named were all physical guys. Height is definitely not the biggest factor on rebounding, but it does help. Same with athleticism. The key is instincts, fundamentals and having the will and strength to go get them. Wood possesses non of these qualities. He is not a strong rebounder, ideally he needs somebody next to him to help him with that and protecting the paint, to complement his great offensive game.