1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebounds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, Jan 4, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A little Jeff Green wouldn't have gone amiss.

ilias, diehardrockets, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The rebounding issue is going to get really ugly against big physical teams. Wood is a solid rebounder against athletic and small teams. He is toast against physical teams.

PJ Tucker is undersized and just isn’t a great fit next to Wood. From the small forward spot we lack size to get a solid amount of boards.

Adding someone like Harrison Barnes would make a huge difference overall rebounding, defensively and even offensively.

kjayp and s3ts like this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Some people are just talented at reading misses and positioning their bodies. We have none of that on the team. I vomit every time I see our players just jump as high as possible and tipping the ball randomly

s3ts likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we fooled ourselves with high expectations again, at least a lot of folks.

Silas needs at least one full season plus offseason to implement his ideas to full extent.

Not sure if Harden is still here by then.

There are still old players like Tucker who shouldn't be here and guys like undersized Nwaba who is just a high energy and defensive dude.

Really wish we could just trade Gordon, Harden, Wall for picks and start from scratch.

This 2nd round exit is just purgatory and waste of time.

kjayp and s3ts like this.
  5. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

I remember when Harden used to grab rebounds and have a triple double. Now it seems like he doesnt care

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  6. s3ts

s3ts Member

Put big men in the lineup and we're almost screwed. We need offensive production + forced TOs in order for us to get out of holes without bigs that can fight in the paint.

But this is also Silas's system, there's a whole myriad of issues embedded in the way he runs this team. As others have said, this is going to take a long time to iron out the kinks.

People were too quick to jump off of MDAs system, Daryl and him knew what they were doing. It's just that MDA was terrible in terms of Xs and Os, timely timeouts, etc.

To be fair, I think this system works really well against certain teams. But we can't contend with this glaring hole, IMO.

7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Well, they’re gonna give luka the Giannis treatment this year for sure. They’re due for a white guy MVP... it’s been years since anyone was in the running. I guess Steph Curry could count. Bahahahah!

s3ts likes this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Harrison Barnes???

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Christian Wood will never be an elite rebounder, but he at least tries, and it’s not from a lack of effort. I mean, he didn’t get many, but he did lead the team tonight. He had as many rebounds as Harden and Tucker combined, and that’s the real problem. Rebounding is about effort, and I didn’t see as much of that as I would have liked from several people.

Stephen_A, kjayp and s3ts like this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No rebounds, No rings.

—Pat Riley

11. s3ts

s3ts Member

I do feel like there's potentially a huge number of rebounds we can get. The question is where do we do less so we can do more rebounding?

The whole team overworks, the system isn't simple and easy, that's how I feel when I watch.

D-rock and bj3175 like this.
  12. s3ts

s3ts Member

This is the only part of your take that I can't agree with.

Lots of problems here, but the solution shouldn't be just throwing everything in the trash. This is still very salvageable, IMO.

D-rock likes this.
  13. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Do everything to get Nerlens out of NY as soon as possible.

ilias and Stephen_A like this.
  14. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

We need bigger size at 3/4, player like Larry Nance Jr / Thad Young , will definitely help.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Simple. We struggle with bigger lineups. We equaled or were right there in the two wins and blazers games. Denver had a bigger lineup with milsap, porter, and Jokic. Dallas started Klieber and Stein. Rox can’t just start wood at 5. I think consensus is out there that we need a defensive 5. I think Taj Gibson can fill this hole if he can still play. The Rox were successful in years past because Capela clogged the lanes and made it really difficult for anyone trying to score in the paint. Rox also had Ariza who was a really good rebounding SF. We really miss and could use ROCO at the 3 right now. This is our issue.

ilias likes this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Issue isn’t so much tuck it’s Wood. Wood is not the defensive and rebounding presence clint was. PJ is handling his business grabbing 6 boards a game. That’s better than most 4s in this league. And remember why Rox were so good years ago was we had a rebounding wing in Ariza. with a weak center and no Ariza or ROCO, this is a very weak rebounding team. I agree with most fans that we need a defensive big to start. He can get 15-18 min a game or so.

Greedydex likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

PJ gets 6 boards a game. That’s right up there with most 4s in this league including John Collins, milsap, and Jae crowder. PJ isn’t the issue. Weak ass center. And our starting wing isn’t a strong rebounder either (house). That 17-18 season Clint was dominant and we had Ariza and PJ. And CP3 was a really good rebounding PG. we don’t have the personnel simply.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

People are blaming PJ for no reason no data. I suspect people just hate because of his contract situation. He grabs 6 boards a game and plays great defense and hustles. His boards are right up there with starting 4s in this league (bagley, crowder, draymond) except for a few elite (sabonis, Tristan Thompson, Julius randle). Wood wood wood is the issue. And no more Ariza or roco which means less front line toughness. Simple.

HP3 likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not the issue. Watch the game tape. But you have a point. Not sure boogie can or should start. They need Taj Gibson type.

ilias likes this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Huh? Jeff green was never a great rebounder. He’s not a true 4 either.

D-rock likes this.