1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Tilman really THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I mean a lot of the things you said in your post are questions that I have posed here and never got a valid reply. One guy mentioned Green and Temple and I don't believe those guys were that much better than the guys we had on previous rosters. Other than Jimmy Butler I don't know of any players we could have added that would have made us massively better over the last few seasons that weren't just fringe guys.The Rockets have been a top 8 spender for several years now but to the logic of CF if you aren't the number one spender in the NBA you aren't really trying. That's the best I can tell you.

2. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I read your entire post and you bring up good counterpoints to The “Ferntits BaF” argument. On the flip side of the argument is Tillman didn’t retain Ariza out of fear of not being able to move him at the trade deadline in order to avoid the tax. He also moved all of those 1st rounders for LTS every year. If the Paul, Harden, Ariza team pushing the Warriors to the brink even without Paul didn’t give him enough of a reason to pay the tax I don’t know what will.

As a businessman I would also be hesitant to dip into the tax let alone the repeater tax if I wasn’t 100% sure my team was an absolute championship contender. The hate that Les and consequently Tillman get for this is unjustified, however his refusal to pay the tax to retain Ariza after a 65 win season showed us his true colors.

Deuce, Nook, Duke Fan and 2 others like this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Was Donald Sterling racist?

4. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Dude don't flatter yourself, I honestly think you are a $hit poster. I just remember how it was when I first started posting on here and had to deal with posters like you. Now you think you are the big $hit on this site and for what reason(your post are really terrible but you belittle every single poster on here that doesn't have 10,000 post to their name)? Grow the f*** up dude...

Duke Fan likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Tilman Fertita is a fake billionaire so overleveraged, his empire has essentially been turned into a debt ponzi scheme.

Der Rabbi, HAYJON02 and HP3 like this.
  6. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

In all honesty, don't reply if you didn't read the post. It just makes you look dense. OP is bringing up valid points for a logical discussion that can be had regardless of what your opinion is.

BamBam, Duke Fan and Htown's Finest like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

This is all of us LOL

Nook and HP3 like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

When I actually give a fck about anything u say, I’ll let u know. U follow me around like a lost child. I’ve never seen someone so desperate for somebody to acknowledge their posts. Hit the ignore button if u can’t help yourself from following me around and getting triggered. I live in your head rent free.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He sucks and is currently in damage control mode.

But none of that is going to save him from his own cheapness and incompetency.

Richie_Rich and HP3 like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

something thats been talked about for over 2 years now and countless threads about this and someone is actually asking is he that bad. you either continue to turn the other cheek or just refuse to see it. In which case you never will.

dude is a dumbass, cheap who has no business being a owner of a professional franchise, and his basketball iq for decisions is abysmal. he single handily destroyed a contender in a span of 2 years. And the last straw that makes this franchise relevant wants out.

stop with these dumb threads already

#30 YOLO, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    DVauthrin, Der Rabbi, Nook and 3 others like this.
  11. sungjina

sungjina Member

He's not that bad. After Morey left, we were in danger of becoming one of the worst teams in the league but he and Rafael really turned it around when they got Boogie, Wall and Wood, and, as it stands, a pretty good team overall with Harden.

sushimaster and Duke Fan like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

NO Fertitty isn't that bad. If Alexander is like 8.5 I'd say Fertits is around 7 assuming he isn't a fake billionaire by now.

Yeah I don't like the cost cutting measures, but Fetits did something right which is hire the right coach and right GM. That is so key because as we've seen in NYC, Detroit etc it is hard to get the right personnel for your franchise. Cleveland's been trying to get a good GM since Lebron was a rookie lol, it's been 16 yrs and they still suck ass.

Hiring Silas as the coach and Stone as the GM redeems him a lot in my book. There are lots of cheapskate owners out there like Pacers. I mean according to Paul George the Pacers ownership flat out refused to sign AD because they couldn't afford him. At least Fertits only cost cut on role players not future MVP players.

Duke Fan, Mr Woods and palmsnbananas like this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

His choices to stay under the cap with a 2 max players both playing because of his personal financial issues, yes he is not a good owner. He is wasting once in a generation talent because he can’t afford the team.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  14. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

You keep repeating yourself dude, you can't think of anything cooler to say Reeko? LMAO... You say that same tired ass lazy line to everyone (When I actually give a fck about anything u say, I’ll let u know). You said that at least 5 times from what I've seen on here in the last past week. I'm not defending myself, because I honestly don't give 2 fcks about you. But it's the other people, the lurkers on this site that read CF and have been lurking on here for years that won't post anything because of people like you who I am defending. It people like you that push those people away. CF used to be an awesome site before it got over ran with little punks like you. Thanks for further validating my point about you. $hit poster...

Duke Fan likes this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

yes he is that bad. We’ve gone over this ad nauseum but I’ll go over the timeline of why he sucks again. But before that ask yourself why would a HOF coach, HOF general manager, top 5 generational talent, an all star, and several sought after front office managers all leave within 3 years of TF purchasing the rockets? That level of instability is astounding to me and speaks volumes about what’s going on internally.

another reminder on roster construction before we get into the details of trades. Once you identify your core group of players there are only so many ways you can add to them once you’re above the cap. With capela, cp3, tucker, harden, and ego you’ve locked in your core and there are above the salary cap. To add pieces without hard capping yourself you are limited to , TPMLE, trades, and picks. That’s likely all you have. So once you start losing those things you can only now fill out a roster with minimum contracts or incur a tax apron above the tax limit by using a BAE and NTMLE. So what Tf is guilty of is losing our team assets that could garner the best possible product in favor of a more favorable book sheet.

1) Not offering Ariza a salary. No one knows the full details of what was offered and if Ariza would stay with us. But we had the guys bird rights. We could’ve offered I’m a comparable 1 year salary and used him as a player on the floor or as an expiring contract asset to fill the team with a useful role player later I.e the oubre and rivers trade for ariza

2) That same offseason the Rockets elect not to use their MLE

3) The rockets decide they do not want to keep Anderson on the books anymore and use a promising Deanthony Melton ( now a rotation player for the Grizzlies) to dump his contract for Chris’s and Knight

4) Dumped MCW and a 2nd rounder

5) Rumors that we got cold feet on a trade for Jam Green and Temple due to cost. We did however dump Chriss, Knight, a first round pick for Shumpert

6) Hardball with House over an MLE we didn’t use

7) do not sign shumpert to a birds rights contract to use as salary filler for potential trades

8) not use the entire mle again

8) cut Clark and hartenstein

9) push through a trade for WB using huge amounts of draft capital when it’s likely we didn’t need that much to begin with

by constantly mistiming trades to duck taxes he has effectively cost us 5-6 rotation players in a time when Harden was pushing the greatest team of all time.

so yes he is that bad

16. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Can I steal Napalms avatar to be my response?

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

OPs question reminds me of the scene in No Country for Old Men when they ask Woody Harrelson's character how bad (dangerous) the antagonist of the movie is and he responds "compared to what .. the bubonic plague?"

thats how I feel about Frittata.

HP3 likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

at this point, you’re basically a little mosquito buzzing around me

well, that’s enough time spent on some rando desperate for my attention

Nook likes this.
  19. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Smart move son...

20. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

My point is, Tilman’s strategy of paying the stars but surrounding them with dirt cheap role players actually works if the scouting is done right. We look like geniuses right about now.

Wood, Nwaba, Tate, Brown, Mclemore have a combined salary of $20M — the same price of Ryno’s contract when he was with us. Only $5M more than what Ariza got that year in Phoenix.

Finding diamonds in the rough rather than overpaying for retreads is actually turning out to be a solid strategy.

kjayp, roslolian and Duke Fan like this.