1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY post] Tilman not good at business

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jan 4, 2021.

1. fattz

fattz Member

More random thoughts...
    If he were to sell the team at a small loss he would be able to keep the rest of his portfolio because he would recover what he leveraged. The Rockets are by far his most stable investment, so if he guts the team the value of the team will drop making him less short and long term because he won’t be able to to build the foreign market value like when he bought the team. The man is in an impossible situation; now and later.

Space Ghost and BallaDoc like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I foresaw him penny pinching which is why I canceled my season tickets prior to renewing for this season. I'm surprised he started spending to start the season. Not really sure what to expect out of him this trading deadline.

pugsly8422 and D-rock like this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

I don’t think the $600 stimulus check is going to help him

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well he's used to a billion dollar deals on a balance sheet, not pulling in anything like a billion dollars in income, at all, ever. I previously wrote about how Harden was pulling in about 4-5x as much cash as Tilman based on old financial statements from his company. Sort of like an average Joe buying $80K cars and $500K houses on a $50K salary. Its amazing what debt can do for you.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Bobbytheclown has assured clutchfans that our moves in the past were not cost cutting but all for flexibility. And that spending any extra money had 0% chance of improving the team so we shouldn’t worry about it.

EVERYONE should be shocked if we make cost cutting moves because again, we have never done it before. Well at least according to Bobby....

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If he could bring in some minority owners, that would be great. My understanding is he owns 100%. That's largely an ego thing, I imagine. If he sold off a minority interest in the team, retaining control for most matters, that would help him a ton, I imagine.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

also...the value of the franchise is enormous in large part due to the size of Houston's market. According to Forbes, they are the 8th highest valued franchise in the NBA. Ask the Titans/Oilers about the difference in franchise value (balance sheet stuff) in Nashville as compared to Houston. Moving the team to another city isn't going to help...it would hurt. The Toyota Center deal is great for the Rockets as well.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

He really tried to make a “Tilman was making sure we had flexibility” argument? Lol, wow...

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Since Harden was consulted on a lot of things, he probably has 1st hand knowledge of just how financially unstable Tilman is, what moves were passed on because of finances, and what moves were made just to save money.

Does Tilman look like the type that will spend whatever it takes to get a championship? We win 65 games. We make it to a game 7 of the WCF. What is constantly getting talked about? How we need to avoid the luxury tax...

francis 4 prez likes this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not holding my breath, but he did spend some money this summer. He even bought the pick that got us KJ Martin. I'll reserve judgement for now based on however this team does these next few months. My guess, if we aren't looking like championship contenders, he will get rid of PJ for LTS, he will also trade House (although I'm hoping this happens sooner rather than later), and try to get rid of Gordon. Getting rid of PJ at least gets him below the tax line I believe.

Patience likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yup , needs to be at least 2k

BallaDoc likes this.
  13. sheb

sheb Member

I think his hands are tied. If he does this I can see harden pulling a kawai and not playing the rest of the year. I would do the same if I was him honestly. Why play and risk injury if we’re just gonna get bounced in the first round anyway

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This.
    Dude has punted assets to save money EVERY year. And for years, defenders (online and on podcasts) would talk about the flexibility the moves would create. Nobody believes that now.
    So yes, unless they're the #1 or #2 seed, the team is shedding at least $7M in salary come the trade deadline.

15. Xopher

Xopher Member

I'm pretty sure Cuban's net worth was actually real net worth. He isn't nearly as leveraged as Fertitta.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Michael Dell offered to buy the team last year and I don't remember but I believe he offered to buy a 50% interest as well but Tilman said he would never sell part of the team. Having said that, I am sure that is his last ditch back up plan. He would sell a percentage of the team and then attempt to buy it back later if possible.

17. riko

riko Member

Bingo

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is a great read. Hard to believe that it came out in Texas Monthly 27 years ago. We were taking it at the time and considering stopping our subscription due to it being about 75% ads, if not more. The problem is that they would put out stories like this one, which is very well done and very much on target. My parents and our cousins, after the War in the '40's and '50's, and until the Island as it was for decades was shut down, used to regularly drive to Galveston to go dancing and to gamble at the Balinese Room. My parents gambled a bit, from what they told me, but my cousins gambled a lot.

Anyone who wonders what Galveston used to be like in it's heyday should give this a gander. Thanks, @AroundTheWorld. There are references to the Fertitta family that might raise an eyebrow or two.

Decided to post this old "colorized" photo (followed by a black and white more recent one) that shows the Balinese Room (the long pier), the Galvez Hotel, and (the reason I posted this) The Mountain Speedway roller coaster. Built in 1921 of wood and a mile long, it was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1962. Not before I road it, however. It scared the living daylights out of me, I can tell you. @AroundTheWorld @MadMax

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#58 Deckard, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    GradyMcTracy likes this.
  19. onreego

onreego Member

He should sell the team, pay off some debt, and just keep donating apparently borrowed money to UH.

20. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Your Harden slobbering is just obnoxious holy ****.