1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

harden in the 2020 playoffs had a better bpm and win share per 48 than any of steph Curry’s playoff run. Harden has surpassed curry as a player

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea no sh**, when the whole offense is about Harden while GSW had an actually functional team offense where everyone shared the ball and didn't iso to death.

I'd much rather have Curry on an already good team than Harden.

bmelo and SunsRocketsfan like this.
  3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if i was steph curry, unanimous league mvp, coming off a humiliating finals where we blew the only 3-1 lead ever, i would without a doubt not want to add kevin durant to my team. if you are as competitive as all these guys say they are, i just can't see how you do it. you'd be thinking "my knee was hurt, that's why we lost, they aren't better" or "draymond was suspended and bogut was hurt, that's why we lost, they aren't better." and you'd be dying to run it back and prove to everyone the 2015 win wasn't a fluke because of cleveland's injuries. that 73-9 wasn't a fluke. you'd want to settle the 1-1 series with cleveland once and for all. i just can't imagine going to get kevin durant and mentally waving the white flag like that. and if i was going to go the route of a free/cheap title, i damn sure wouldn't go get someone that was going to yank my finals mvp's away from me.

honestly, even though i thought durant wouldn't find any satisfaction in winning in golden state (and he clearly didn't), i at least understood his thinking, however misguided. i never understood steph's.

Mr. Space City and HP3 like this.
  4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Klay scores 60 in 29 mins....meh

Dame and Harden have seven 60 point games combined....meh

Curry finally gets a 60 pc 2 months before his 33rd birthday.....OH MAN THIS PROVES HE'S THE GOAT

clos4life and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  5. francis 4 prez

curry erupted for 25/6/5 on 9/23 shooting in game 5. coming off the first 4 games where he averaged 21/4/5 on 39.5% FG and 26.1% 3P. must be nice to take the first 4 games of a series off and score 25 on 23 shots in game 5 and still be up 3-2.

i also like "with chris paul" like he played great. i'm guessing paul's 11/6/5 on 3/14 shooting in game 5 went a long way toward's harden/fans thinking paul was done.

Mr. Space City and HP3 like this.
  6. HardenVolumeOne

curry wasn’t doing nothing till draymond got back. You gotta set screens for him to get him loose. John Wall would be doing just as well as oubre or Wiggins next to curry

harden has surpassed curry as a player. Y’all curry fans still living in 2016. This thread has over 30 pages and some of yall are just now making your first appearance cause steph finally had a great game. Frontrunners

clos4life and Mr Chuck Norris like this.
  7. francis 4 prez

have free throws gone up or down in 9 of the last 10 playoffs? 2 guesses and the first doesn't count. an elite D letting a rookie big man get switched onto the league mvp and then the rookie big man just lunging into him on a 3 is pretty much the definition of a foul that should be punished for letting the switch happen in the first place. if you're going to ignore that, might as well just say you want the warriors to win.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  8. HardenVolumeOne

curry needs really good players around him with length to be great. You can’t put curry on a team with gleaguers or replacement level players and expect him to dominate. Also wiseman is just as talented as wood. Yet wood is having a breakout season with harden just like capela did. The myth that harden doesn’t make his teammates is not true

clos4life likes this.
  9. francis 4 prez

curry's best attribute is TS%, it's higher than harden's in the regular season as well. it should be a couple of points higher, especially considering the warriors best defenders are harden defenders and the rockets best defenders were on durant.

games 5 and 6 game score:

steph 18.4
    harden 27.0

that margin is only slightly less than the series as a whole but is still a really big difference.

HP3 likes this.
  10. francis 4 prez

who signs up for a message board in 2002 to be a troll against a player on his own team who won't even be drafted for years after signing up. i suppose i have to admire the dedication to the bit.

Mr. Clutch and HP3 like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

curry carrying his team to a win against an all-time blazers team.

we all mirin.

HP3 likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm not a Curry fan anyhow, just thought your win share and bpm stat were absolutely meaningless given the team structures.
    Dig up my post history if you don't believe me.

Yea and Harden needs shooters and defenders around him to win games, so what's your point?
    No player has ever had meaningful success with trash teammates.

No one is saying that.

My point is that while Harden by himself may carry a mediocre squad to more wins than Curry, I'd still take Curry if I had a decent squad and want to win the title. Curry perfectly fits into a good team and doesn't change their entire offense into a predictable playing style that so far has never translated to a title.

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

There is no reason why Harden didn't put Rockets on top when KD went down and Steph was playing average up to this point other than Steph greatness. Then Steph turned on his next level and Rockets couldn't do ****.. I don't want to hear anyone talk **** about Steph since then around here he basically carried crippled and injured GSW against prime Harden in playoffs so what's your point?

Mr. Clutch and hakeem94 like this.
  14. HardenVolumeOne

Curry wouldn’t work in Houston under tilman, because you have to pay into the luxury tax to field a DECENT squad in the NBA. The warriors have had the highest payroll in the league for years now

HP3 likes this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

Did you ever stop and think why Currys teammates are hitting shots when it's playoff defense and iso-Harden teammates don't? Maybe because everyone in the world knew what rockets would run and defense sets up against it? Maybe because guys don't touch ball for 90% of time and have no rhythm? Imagine taking 3-5 shots and having ball in your hands few times in the span of 2:30h game

Mr. Clutch and Yung-T like this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

My point is that even if Houston had the same cap and owner as GSW, I'd rather have Curry to complement a contender, as he just adds to the strengths of a team instead of changing the entire approach on both ends that needs to be worked around.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Dude's get hot for a game, it happens all the time. If you are depending on Iggy to shoot that well for an entire series than I just dont know what to tell you. PJ Tucker and Robert Covington had no problem hitting shots in the playoffs. I mean....dont know what else to say their, that's flat out not true. What does touching the ball mean? You mean those plays where dudes just hold the ball while they wait for Curry to come off a screen? Like...the arguments here isnt a factual one. There is no evidence to suggest Harden cant do things differently in a different offense. We ran Iso cause it was efficient. In fact the Lakers didnt want Harden to Iso so bad they doubled him.

Sorry man but there isnt any evidence that Harden on a team with 3 other all NBA players cant win a title. I have no idea why people say this.

#737 HP3, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Mr. Space City likes this.
  18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There isn't, so we have to go with what we've seen so far.
    And that is Harden changing the structure of his team's gameplan entirely and needing a very specific supporting cast to work, plus a very easy to read gameplan that opponents adapt to over a playoff series.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

I think you might have Harden confused with Westbrook? What specific cast do you mean? Harden needs defender and dudes who can shoot the 3 like....every team in the NBA? Or Harden cant work with dude's who arent super great shooters like Tate, Nwaba or Wall like he's literally doing right now? I mean....I dont think that offense has ever been a reason we've lost a series though except for this year and Westbrook gave them that series. So...I mean Im sorry I dont see your point man.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

A cast of selfless 3&d guys that is all about him and where a co-star doesn't handle the ball too much or challenge the status quo (see what happened with CP3&Westbrook), plus a coach and organization that gives in to his demands.

It's always been an issue in the playoffs really, with us relying way too much on Harden and having only one gameplan.
    And losing to GSW by going 0-27 from three also showed how little we adapt within games.

daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.