1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Ben Simmons Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shaq2Yao, Nov 5, 2017.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's the Tim Duncan of point guards but more of a freak of nature

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

29 FTA tonight....if only he could make them like Magic Johnson could

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

That's why he got 29FTA lol... they played hack-a-Simmons to get back in the game in the 4th.

hakeem94 and Caesar like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. malakas

malakas Member

"A different coach will get Ben Simmons to shoot"

Yeah..still waiting for that.

hakeem94, Dacamel and Vivi like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I still really like Simmons overall but his poor shooting is definitely annoying, and what bothers me most is he didn't do **** to improve it, which is strange cause he doesn't look like a guy who doesn't give a ****, he plays hard, it's not like he has the Marquise Chriss kind of attitude...and if he only manages to build a respectable shot he would be instantly such a great player...he should literally only care/work on that. A guy with square hands like Dedmon, who couldn't make a single shot if it wasn't a dunk, became a good shooter when he was turning 30, there's no reason why a guy like Simmons can't do something to at least become respectable in that aspect.

s3ts and malakas like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

For me, it's more of the free throw aspect. I don't expect him to shoot but he needs to get the line more.

8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

How it started: Lebron James :cool:

How it’s going: Ben Simmons :confused:

BigShasta likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

seeing a white player that can't shoot is weird.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is freaking +25 the 2nd highest on his team. He doesnt take any jumpshots so I dunno how he can get to the line more taking it hard to the rim is all he does.

At the end of the day Philly is 4-1 as long as Simmons is helping them win commensurate to his salary as a max player it doesnt matter to me what he does.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's a mental aspect by now he does a lot of shooting in practice.

Vivi likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I think the best and most realistic way Simmons can maximize his limited scoring is through FTA. I think Simmons is underrated but I don't see him ever developing a jump shot much less take 3s in a reliable manner. I do see the potential to increase his FTA with his own team/not playing to someone like Embiid.

13. s3ts

s3ts Member

He's already on a max contract, even in interviews, he clearly tells everyone he doesn't think he needs a jumpshot.

I just can't get on his side at all. I mean, Westbrook sucked at shooting too but not like this. Westbrook at least has some 3 pters on his highlight reels, Simmons has nothing but blocks, steals, and dunks. And ONE 3 point shot.

Every time I watch Simmons play, he's so utterly useless after the ball is out of his hands and away from the paint. And when he doesn't feel anyone next to him, he pathetically goes back towards the paint to feel needed, as if that's going to help the team.

There's a reason why Simmons is even offered. You don't trade a shooter like Harden for a non-shooter. It shouldn't make any sense to anyone.

Jayzers_100 and clutchdabear like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

It makes a lot of sense when you realize Harden is 31 and Simmons is 24. That someone who is so pathetic just got a triple double and his team is 5-1.

I honestly dont even know if Simmons is still offered. If I'm Morey thinking why I need to put a 2 yr window on myself which is what would happen if I got Harden when I finally got both Embiid and Simmons happy and coexisting.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Simmons is averaging 13 points and 6 assists. He’s definitely still offered, lol. I would bet money that Harden is still a better player than Simmons two years from now - probably four years from now. It’s just such a wide gulf in skill level.

The Sixers window is limited by Embiid’s health. If that guy goes down, the team would drop like a stone. Morey knows the window is now and shorter than you’d think.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

wake me up when simmons ever learns how to shoot. which is never

17. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

triple doubles mean absolute ****. just mentioning westbrick's name should let u know how worthless of a stat that is. how many wins do the wizards have?

and philly is 5-1 not bc of simmons but bc of embiid and also bc of their softass schedule. the one game embiid didn't play? philly got blown out by the ****ing cavs with ben simmons running the show.

YOLO and s3ts like this.
  18. s3ts

s3ts Member

I don't deny he has a tremendous upside. The problem is his contract and his ego. Also, the market doesn't think the contract is a good one.

Triple double king is Westbrook and that point has already been made that it doesn't always help his team win. There's also players like Lonzo Ball or Jokic who earn less than him that also produce triple doubles, but can also shoot, is a more dynamic scoring threat on the offensive end.

The strategy of stacking up shooters to keep a max salary non-shooter isn't financially smart. Sixes are in that exact situation. They even traded Markell Fultz because he can't shoot. They want to do the same here because you just can't have a point guard who can't shoot these days and expect a championship.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you cannot be a star, 1st team all nba with a major weakness. he has two, shooting and mentality.

20. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

But Simmons is also 6'10", elite defensively, and a much better passer than Russ. I don't want to trade Harden for anyone feasible, including Simmons, but Simmons with Wood and shooting could be an interesting and competitive team. Russ is a much bigger handicap to try to build a good team around since he's 6'3", bad defensively, and a poor passer.