1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BR] Raptors Bench Pascal Siakim + Harden Trade Mentioned

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Jan 2, 2021.

1. yobod

yobod Member

The Toronto Raptors are sitting Pascal Siakam for Thursday night's matchup vs. the New York Knicks as a "disciplinary measure," per Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium, after Siakam "exited the floor early after fouling out Tuesday in Philadelphia."

With Siakam benched, the Raptors went with a starting lineup of Norman Powell, Kyle Lowry, Fred VanVleet, OG Anunoby and Aron Baynes.

"There's a certain way we want to do things here and everyone has to be a part of that," Raptors head coach Nick Nurse told reporters after the team's 100-83 win.

The Raptors have started the 2020-21 season a disappointing 0-3, and their struggles have coincided with Siakam's slow start to the season. The star forward is averaging 18.7 points, nine rebounds and 4.7 assists per game while shooting just 39.3 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from three. Hardly horrible numbers, but Toronto needs more from its best player, especially after Siakam's All-Star campaign last year.

One of the questions facing the Raptors is whether a championship run is possible with Siakam as the headliner. That, in turn, has led to speculation that they could insert themselves into the James Harden sweepstakes this season, with Siakam as the centerpiece of a potential trade package.

They may not be alone in the Harden pursuit, if they go down that path. ESPN's Brian Windhorst reported that "a number of teams such as the Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers, Miami Heat, Brooklyn Nets and Raptors—teams that are in the 'good not great' zone—have at least made a courtesy call to the Rockets, sources said."

That would certainly shake things up. If the Raptors continue to struggle, those courtesy calls may become more serious. Masai Ujiri already has shown the willingness to go for broke with such a move when he traded for Kawhi Leonard. While that partnership only lasted a year, it also brought the Raptors a title.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...dly-benched-vs-knicks-as-disciplinary-measure

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I am sure this is buried in one of the Harden threads. What a joke it would be if the the centerpiece in a Harden trade was Siakam. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, think he is a super role player, but sure ass hell don't see him as more than that (I get he made the All Star team, but meh).

3. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I don't see Harden pressing the Rox to trade him asap. I think Harden has bought in this year with Silas and won't be traded, at the earliest, until the All Star Break. Let's take the wait and see approach. No rush to pull the trigger

4. s3ts

s3ts Member

Harden can say "you can trade me wherever but I might not sign an extension with that team."

So Harden has final say where he goes.

Beyond just contention, which... Raptors suck right now, I say he has to find out if the freezing ass cold is okay to ride out for the legalized prostitution that Canada offers.

Pretty low chance that Raptors have a shot at Harden.

B-Bob, plutoblue11 and roslolian like this.
  5. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Unless Denver is involved, I don’t see Toronto being a realistic trade partner.

B-Bob and plutoblue11 like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did not stop them with Kawhi

Rocket River

Yung-T, plutoblue11 and s3ts like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Do not want ... if Harden wants to stay

sirjesse likes this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Good point, but now they suck.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its crazy why did Siakam regress so badly? He was pretty good last season or was it all just a contrsct year for him?

I see so many players play bad the moment they get their money (Ryan Anderson, Bertans, Siakam to name a few). Did they just party all day and all night? At the very least we never saw any such dropoff from Harden despite all the oartying he does. Dude always produced.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

The Raptors don't care if he stays or not.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

They didn't suck the year after losing Kawhi.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Going to be only 27 in April
    NBA champ and after kawhi leaves spicy p
    Made
    All -NBA team
    All star team

He’s young even at 27
    Has shown he can at least be a number 2 on a championship team
    All NBA talent

I would still prefer MPJ or the Miami package.

But wouldn’t be mad with a spicy p deal but it needs to be with Powell and more included.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Siakam’s issue is that he is forced to be their go-to option since Kawhi left and this year no more Ibaka or Gasol. He is best as a 3rd wheel flying under the radar like in their championship season.

Maybe he is unhappy with this role in Toronto and I assume they are unhappy with him. I would target Siakam with Gordon, Tucker, House and Clemons + picks. I assume Toronto could trade these pieces to other teams for more picks. Paying Siakam $30+ mil on a non conteding team seems like a bad idea so if they continue to struggle, they should blow it up and trade Lowry and Siakam to start a rebuild while they still have some value.

Yung-T and roslolian like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ibaka and Gasol aren't exactly go to options either. Technically he is still their 3rd best guy since they have Lowry and Van Fleet so I don't think that applies either.

You are right maybe he is unhappy and that's what's affecting his performance. That package is a garbage one for Siakam Gordon and Tucker have no place in a rebuilding team and House/Clemons are scrubs. Toronto is gonna say why don/t you trade Gordon and Tucker for these picks and come back to me with better assets.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden's gonna say he's outta there as soon as his contract is up. Toronto didn't care cuz they had an ECF core prior to Kawhi. Now Toronto will care if Harden leaves since Spicy P the only young-ish asset they have.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what they suck now is the point.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Harden isn’t getting traded to Toronto.

Reeko and Vivi like this.
  18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Some players/teams in Harden rumors are underperforming, coincidence? Probably, but still

19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Let’s stop the harden trade threads

I think he is starting to see the light on this teams potential

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Literally 5 games into the season. You think the Rockets wont be better than their current record if Harden stays? Don't be shortsighted. How long have you watched the NBA to not understand that teams with the best records at the end dont always have winning records at the beginning of the season?