1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Harden stays, the Rockets team is a championship contender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Jan 2, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe and I’m sure Harden believes this current Rocket team can be very competitive.

But let’s recognize some imbalance in the team:

1) top heavy in the PG/SG department.

2) Tate/House/Nwaba have potential to be good in this system as part facilitators part slashers (once they learn the system)

3) need for PF like player (I’m looking at PJ Tucker trade at the deadline for PJ Washington (Hornets) or
    Nicolo Melli (Pels). Rockets will still be over the LT; but a further trade of Clemons or another for draft pick or Euro-
    stash player would get us under the LT.

Nice if we could trade Eric Gordon at the deadline; but I’m not holding my breath.

Hard to improve when you only have chewing gum and paper clips to work with.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can see that, but I wouldn’t call that “good”...more like improved and no longer complete trash

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

They are a good team and will be the 8th seed as well, they bear Denver twice and beaten the Suns,,,,,and they have a All-Star!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I agree with you. The Kings are the type of team that can spring an upset on a contender if the contender takes them lightly or doesn’t bring the requisite energy. They aren’t a threat to do playoff damage or anything like that.

They beat the Nuggets twice because as good as Porter is offensively, starting him, Murray and Jokic together makes them a very poor defensive team.

Reeko likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think we are still a major contributor away, and that's assuming Gordon Wall and Cousins stay healthy and play at a high level. Just saying.

The reality is that Tucker and Gordon are declining players with health issues, and we really don't fully know what we are going to get from Wall and Cousins, although things certainly look promising. Hey, i like this team better than last year's team, but i'm realistic about where we are. And the reality is, especially with the need to be deep to compensate for injuries, we need another significant piece to be a true contender.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was very positive on the roster before the season :)

still haven’t seen much cohesiveness because of all the issues.

but I feel pretty safe saying this team is going to have defensive issues.

I’m not saying I want to trade Harden or even if so want to trade him for Siakim... but a guy like Siakim would be perfect at the 4.

even a junior version of that would be nice. Not sure what’s available or what we can get ... or if it even makes sense to try until you’ve got Hardens commitment (as an upgrade would require trading one of those picks)

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Harden belongs to the Sixers. Just let it happen.

8. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Yeah, I agree it's too early to call them a good team, but I think it's safe to say that they're not a trash team. They're not the Washington team with Westbrook playing, so a win against them without Harden is still a good sign to me.

Reeko likes this.
  9. Mr. Space City

a good SF and a backup PG away.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

It depends on how we’re defining championship contender but this team probably has somewhat comparable championship odds as the teams to which Harden wants to get traded after what those teams would realistically have to give up (ie Milwaukee doesn’t even count since there’s no way they could make a trade for Harden even if Giannis wanted it, which he supposedly doesn’t).

The East would be easier to get to the finals though.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No. Not even close. Not with this clown defense.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They'll have a shot if everyone stays healthy, best chance since Harden ran off CP3.....and a better chance than Harden would have anywhere else he could reasonably be traded after that team gave up what it would take to get him.

BigM likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

10pts and 10rebs total out of our starting forward tandem. we need an upgrade via trade. use those acquired draft picks

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Kings are now the barometer on title contention...... this board has gone off the deep end once again

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No.

In the playoffs, teams will double Harden and make him give the ball up.

They will give Wall the 3 all day.

This team will struggle to score if Harden does not have a big night.

Also, lol @ Kings being the litmus test for title contention.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If teams double Harden it leaves Wall open to drive and/or get the ball to Wood. This is the best team the Rockets have had since Harden ran CP3 off, it can be a legit championship contender.....and there's no Warriors caliber team to get in the way this time.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So Kings beat Denver twice... the same Denver team we lost to with just half our team playing. Realistically we would be 5-0 if we were full strength from game one. I know the actuality is what it is but this team has lots of potential. Just worry about defense, rebounding and turnovers.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you are ignoring context such as this team winning without Harden and having hardly any time playing together without a real full length training camp and off court drama with Harden and Covid.

19. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'd put us as 3rd favourites in the West.

After both LA teams

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Pretty solid ranking for strip clubs.