1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. raining threes

Are the Horns any better than they were 4 yrs ago with Herman's guys. Meanwhile recruiting is in the toilet.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They are undeniably quantifiably better than they were 4 years ago. If that is good enough is where the issue is.

3. Brando2101

How funny would it be if Alabama announced an extension and raise for him.

Major and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  4. raining threes

There defense is no better than it was four years ago.

Although I agree with you the program is better than it was four years ago, losing a recruit like Ewers shows the direction the program was headed if Herman was retained.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Is Sarkision likable? Serious question.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

No problem. Briles is still available. We know Briles can coach.

raining threes likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's an alternate universe out there where UH is playing Oklahoma OOC every year and Herman is making 4M+ in Houston and everything is fine, lulz.

But yeah, Fs in the chat for Tommy :(

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow Sark is turning us down? Time to fire the AD. I wouldn't have hired sark, but if you are going to pay 15 mil to fire herman hopefully you had a plan to replace him.

Bring in Briles. No one wants him and no one wants UT. Most of the these coaches are scumbags. At least he is a good coach.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

He got a raise a few weeks ago to become the highest paid assistant coach in the county. Maybe this has been going down behind the scenes for awhile.

10. Brando2101

I am but I'm not super hopeful.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

No reason to even bring it up because there's not a chance in hell of it happening.

Ziggy likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

13. Buck Turgidson

Losing half of their 2-headed-monster at RB hurts.

14. Major

Major Member

I think both of them opted out.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

As a UT alumnus, I’d be thrilled. I have no problem letting Herman go since he wasn’t likely going to get the program into the CFP, and future recruiting has become a major problem. However, you don’t fire him and eat 15 million to hire a guy that failed at both Washington and USC and isn’t a clear upgrade. How many times do NFL teams hire Belichick disciples in the NFL, and we watch them fail miserably? Just because Sarkisian was a really good OC for Nick Saban with a stacked roster doesn’t wipe away his failures as a head coach at two PAC-12 schools.

If Urban Meyer was walking through that door, fine. Sarkisian is not a slam dunk hire that makes it worth giving him a huge contract and eating the remaining 15 million owed to Herman.

Hank McDowell and Brando2101 like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Brando2101

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Once the recruiting took such a serious hit, Herman was doomed at Texas. Sarkisian is not the perfect candidate, but I wouldn't dismiss him out of hand.

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Firing Herman isn’t a problem. However, hiring Sarkisian is another major risk after the previous gambles on Strong and Herman flamed out. He has already failed twice at two PAC-12 schools in Washington and USC, and he embarrassed USC in the process. He also doesn’t come with ties to Texas high school football coaches.

I’ll give the hire a chance, but it doesn’t inspire confidence. It’s a huge gamble, and the current administration better hope Sarkisian pans out.

DaDakota and Ziggy like this.
  20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Hate this move.

First, UT is still a public academic institution. To cycle through Coaches with big contract and eating money like this does not sit well with me.

Secondly, Herman was 32-18 in his 4 years here, Sarkisian was 12-6 at USC (with the program trending down and him having to leave). I don't know if we are actually getting a better coach here.

If we had an home run hire I'd get it but to do this, for Sarkisian.... not on board unless Sarkisian can get us consistent 10 win seasons.

Hank McDowell, Ziggy and DVauthrin like this.