1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A rant: crappy dog owners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dachuda86, Jan 2, 2021.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

First of all this isn't about pit bulls and whether or not they are dangerous but this involved a pit.

My dog is tiny and I try to keep it away from larger dogs because it cannot defend itself. It got beat up by a gentle cocker spaniel even... It also is good at starting fights with other dogs because it's a hyper active monster that makes other dogs uneasy.

That said, I saw a pit bull and its owner coming toward me and I walked away to prevent conflict. Then the dog owner pressed the issue.... likely to PROVE that THEIR little angel is safe. A typical pit bull owner complex. Needless to say they were trying to force me to put my dog next to theirs and I refused and then they let up on their leash to allow their pit to come within inches of my dog who I already was holding and walking away with. Then the woman's little angel began aggressively snapping and barking at my dog as pits are quite good at doing. And of course the owner acted surprised because of course he is a good boy around her and other dogs.

Dog owners... don't be dicks if another dog owner doesn't want to socialize their dog with yours. They know their dog and it's best to leave them be. It's not about you and your little angel.

Anyone else have experiences with crappy dog owners?

Kevooooo, R0ckets03, AXG and 5 others like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'm scared of dogs. but i enjoy wrestling with puppies.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I see what you did there.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

in my old neighborhood, there were 2 dogs that would always escape and roam the streets...they were both aggressive, but 1 would charge and bark at you while the other wouldn’t make a sound, but charge u and try to attack/bite...it’s like 1 was playing the role of the distraction while the other one went in for the kill

I always had to be on the lookout for these 2 when walking my dog just in case they were out...the 4 previous encounters, I was able to see them coming and would yell at them when they were charging, and they would eventually back off...the 5th time, the dog that never made a sound attacked from behind and I didn’t notice until it was too late

it got my dog on the leg very badly and she required surgery...I had to kick that dog numerous times to get it to release my dog...I was able to find out which neighbor these dogs belonged to, they ended up paying for the entire surgery, and I never saw those 2 dogs out again

my only bad experience with a pitbull was in that same neighborhood...was walking my dog, and this pitbull ran out the front door and charged...I put my dog behind me and started yelling at it...it kept trying to circle around me to get to my dog...person was just standing there and I had to yell at her to come and get her fcking dog

I’ve also seen the occasional “let me bring my dog to the dog park even tho he has no business being there because he’s aggressive as sh*t and acts like he was never socialized as a puppy”

Yung-T, TWS1986 and dachuda86 like this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ive came to the conclusion most dog owners are clueless or irresponsible.

A pet owner should always assume their pet is unwelcomed in other peoples or pets presence
    , not limited to barking, jumping, tugging at the leash, begging at the table, not cleaning up after them, even in their own yard.

If someone is willing to spend thousands on their pet, invest some money early on and send them to obedience school.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Damn rough time.... glad you saved it man.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The pit bull had that reaction because your dog, while small, still gave off a nervous and defensive energy. That energy often is from the owner that the dogs take on.

Not saying the pit bull owner was in the right because your dog in public is your responsibility and liability, but I would be willing to guess that the pit bull likely is normally a very friendly dog and usually gets along with other dogs.

The smaller dogs need training ... correct that ... smaller dog owners... need training probably more than big dogs do. With bigger dogs they often just naturally have more structure and rules with their owners. Especially on walks which is the most important dog training device. If your dog is trained to be calm on walks passing by other dogs and you are calm and assertive in the order in which you walk, 99% of the time, that pit bull will react like any other calm dog.

Pit bulls are not dangerous animals. They are a terrier with similar personalities to a Westie or a Scotty. Pit Bull owners however can be dangerous owners if they do not train their dogs or they train them to be defensive and abuse them so they are scared to death. You can’t do anything to prevent other people from being bad owners but you can train yourself and your dog effectively to prevent that bad owner and their pit bull from having a negative reaction to your dog.

8. Buck Turgidson

"crappy dog" owners are the worst

Deckard and TWS1986 like this.
  9. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Crappy dog owners are just an idea.

calurker and AleksandarN like this.
  10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

What kind of puppies?????????

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don’t wanna generalize but yea it’s a pit owner thing.

JumpMan likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This, 100%.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

'Hi, I'm a vegan crossfitter and this is my American Terrier I rescued from the no kill animal sanctuary...'

I didn't ask.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

like the cute secksy kind

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

*******!

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

just stab it in the face and claim self defense

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh ****ing please.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My mother had similar situations to this happen to her with chihuahuas (outside of the football linebacker tackle). A neighbor in an apartment complex would let his dog out without a leash, the dog attacked her leashed dogs twice I think, both times she had to grab their dog and wait a whole minute for them to catch up and grab their own dog, and they would get mad an act like it was her fault somehow.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Visual representation of the modern keyboard warrior found across the internet.