1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Coach Silas’ performance in his first game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 27, 2020.

?

What grade would you give him?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2021.
  1. A

85 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. B

60 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. C

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. D

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Silas has the best player in the league dropping 40+ and still finds a way to lose SMDH.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  2. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

This is ignoring the best and most valuable coaching is done in practices and in game prep.

He has to be truly terrible there.

The Rockets have a team full of good defensive vets and they have the leagues dumbest defense.

And he’s benched the second coming of Luc.

Non-Harden lineups have no clear structure offensively either.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

We won the game lol.

It was the first one with the whole team after one practice.

Teams need 20+ games to jell, more like 30.

Our bench had 35 points on great shooting.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Slim definitely has to work on his team's defense.

pr0wler and harold bingo like this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is really worrying. The rockets currently have the worst defense in the entire league. I knew it was bad, but was kind of surprised when I looked it up and found them 30 out of 30. And to piggyback off what @LorneMalvo said, it's not like this is a team full of horrible defenders. We clearly have the personnel to be a passable defense, at the very least. It's only been 3 games so we obviously have to give it more time but they have to figure this thing out and improve drastically if they even want to be a playoff team.

pr0wler likes this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Good thoughts. I'd judge this team more seriously in about 5 games though, when the roster has had some time to gel and talk.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why nwaba didnt play?

pr0wler and harold bingo like this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess the stats page hadn't updated when I checked it before. After they added the kings game, the rockets are now 28th out of 30 in defense. Baby steps.

crimsonghost and Ramo$e like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

one. Their defense is crap. No doubt.

however...

two. They’ve had something resembling their full lineup for 1 game.

however...

Silas has some coaching improvement to do no doubt. More than defense his lineup combinations are confusing me at times. Second game in a row where some lineups were clear trash and let the other team go on a run. I get you can’t play Harden all the time. But he’s got to do a better job managing rotations so that there’s not super weak lineups at times.

10. s3ts

s3ts Member

I give it a solid B.

An A would be seeing fire in his eyes, yelling at everyone else who gave his team any ****. He's composed and maybe thats the right thing to do, or maybe thats just what he does. But I would hope to see him get outraged and furious, putting the entire stadium in line when it matters. If and when I see that emotion, I'll give him the nudge to A.

So many new players this season, I really don't know who can take this roster and make it perform better given the circumstances as others have said here.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, though I also get a viewpoint of letting the vets figure it out. Wall and Cousins had some of the roughest times together.

I did appreciate Tate over House at the end of the game — even though this was House’s best game. That showed some progress.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah, Wall and Cousins together was no bueno. Just one game and honestly I can’t remember what the exact lineups were with them. Will look on popcornmachine tomorrow.

But as a general point it’s clear Silas doesn’t have a great feel for lineups now. I’m not sure it’s a major issue considering the situation this squad has gone through from the start.

but once he has all his guys for an extended period I want to see him settle Into rotations that make more sense.

harold bingo likes this.
  13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He better play Nwaba next game. At least he doesn’t get lost on the defensive end. He’s a great cutter and seems to finish well at the rim. Like him way more than Brown and House.

s3ts likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

First coaching win! Congrats to Coach Silas and the whole Bickerstaff family.

hakeem94, AleksandarN and durvasa like this.
  15. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

I like Silas. Seems like a really sharp, mild mannered guy.

But maybe a little too low key. I miss D'antoni yelling at the refs on the regular.

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

This team kinda sucks. Cousins cannot defend and Tucker has regressed. Not gonna blame Silas for anything yet.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. FatSeagal

FatSeagal Member

Honestly if he wants to keep Wood with Harden I'm ok with that. Give every chance to harden to change his mind haha.

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Great adjustments from Silas the first to second game with the Kings.

Our defense was much improved this game, we held the Kings to 94 pts, only 13 pts in the fourth quarter, with 38% FG and 32% 3PT shooting overall,

Edged them out in rebounding with more defensive rebounds, One less turnover and good rotations with Brown and the bench, and shut down Buddy late in the game.

All this with Harden out for the game in a second consecutive win.

hakeem94 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  19. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

impressed with Silas thus far. hopefully he can continue making adjustments and not fall in love with any particular lineup.

what strikes me the most is he has routinely saved sets for the 4th quarter. specifically the first game against portland where we saved the Harden/Wood PnR for the 4th to gash the Blazers down the stretch. I can't help but feel MDA would have featured that ASAP and Blazers would have had ample time to adjust.

hakeem94 likes this.