1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I kinda like that pairing more than the Mike Borgonzi/Bieniemy pairing just because the defense seemingly needs more help than the offense. Having a guy bring in a scheme (a la your Wade Phillips thread) would hopefully make it easier to improve more quickly when paired with a guy who has already scouted/drafted for that scheme. I'm also banking pretty hard on D4 being able to work with pretty much any OC as long as they are semi-competent. He can definitely make a good OC look like a great OC which is something we can't say about the piece parts which compromise this defense.

raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Eberflus and Dodds have been stellar talent evaluators everywhere they've gone, and they've gotten value in the late rounds. Something we desperately need right now.

Eberflus also has experience coordinating passing game. He did so in Dallas with Dak for a year.

In my opinion, these guys would make a killer combo, especially with a great offensive coordinator.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

looks like texans are determined to hire a minority gm and hc, regardless if there are any other more qualified ones out there

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Malik Boyd is from Houston. He went o to Smiley which is now North Forest HS i believe

red5rocket likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Who?

6. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

How does one make that assumption? Because they’ve interviewed minority candidates that somehow means they’re determined to hire minorities only? I think they will do their due diligence on all the top candidates and make football decisions on both head coach and GM. You’re almost making it sound like minority candidates aren’t as qualified as non minorities

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Correct

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Eric B.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I grew up in Smiley's district. It was a black school district in the 70's through 90''s and has been taken over by hisd

red5rocket likes this.
  10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

What makes you say that? Just curious.

11. Buck Turgidson

That's his m.o. on the bbs. I wouldn't bother with him.

Htown Legend likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Is that true?? I read that part of his bio but took it to mean he was the *defensive* passing game coordinator?... That would be a cool little feather in his cap is you're right.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Maybe I misunderstood it, but that's the way I understood it. I'll do a little more googling.

Edit: after googling, you are correct. Defensive passing game coordinator. My bad.

Still wouldn't mind him.

Hey Now! likes this.
  14. showa13

showa13 Member

Hiring Dodds doesn’t mean we don’t get EB, hiring Mike B doesn’t me we do get EB, we might not hire any of the the three, but I’d bet my money on Dodds or Mike B as GM and EB as coach. Texans front office not exactly hiding who they want.

On another note I’ve heard that the cap situation isn’t a big detriment to anyone interested in the position. The draft picks are even less of a detriment(only effects upcoming draft which is a weird draft as it is). Easterbunny is currently the biggest detriment but it keeps looking like he either won’t be here(we can all hope) or he will have no say in personnel moves.

As far as coaching the biggest thing is Deshaun, he’s the ultimate recruiting chip as he’s by some distance the best player on a team with a HC opening. He alone makes the Texans job the most desirable(seen as better than having the 1st or 2nd pick). Also, keep an eye on Dougie P in Philly, as if he’s let go he’ll receive a call from the Texans a few minutes after it’s announced

15. raining threes

Give me Dorsey or Dodds.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. raining threes

Give me the Jags with Lawrence, draft picks, 84 million in cap space.

17. raining threes

It's not a BS hit piece. It's uncomfortable truths that you dont want to acknowledge. Also how many NFCCG's/SB's has Harbaugh made it too? That alone should've made him a candidate.

18. raining threes

Andy Reid would know more than Mahomes.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. raining threes

Can they put together a great coaching staff.

20. showa13

showa13 Member

The Jags have had draft picks, cap space, and seemingly decent prospects to choose from for the last 10 years and have one winning season to show for it. And although I think Trevor Lawrence will be good there’s no guarantee that he will be(I think Justin Fields will be a bust cause Ohio State QBs always bust)

raining threes likes this.