1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Fired Jack Easterby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Liked his band better

BossHogg713 and Nook like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't like that Cal handed the reins to BOB. At all. I'm not happy Cal signed off on the Hopkins deal. At all.

But.... I'm not only happy he fired BOB, I admire him doing it in-season. If you want to retain an ounce of hope - there ya go. And I hope he fires Easterby - not because I have a strong opinion about it (I actually don't - though the article was certainly damning) but because I want literally everybody wiped out. If BOB had *anything* to do with their being here, they need to be shown the door.

If he cleanses this organization top to bottom and make a good GM hire.... I'll be good.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I think we are on the same wave length. I am basically hoping through luck or some level of skill McNair hires someone that proves to be a very good GM and Cal trusts him and lets him run the organization going forward. It can happen as it has in the past with other organizations. I also believe that McNair will spend money if the Texans really are true contenders. Cal and his wife are aware of how they are viewed in the community, as clueless yahoos that had an NFL franchise thrown in their lap because Bob McNair died. Cal is supposedly a really emotional guy, and he wants to be liked and respected and he also wants to make his dead father proud.

Hey Now! likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Y'all spending way too much energy worrying about Easterby. The Situation will take care of itself.

Meaning....the New GM will resolve the situation.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Everyone has a right to be skeptical of anything associated with the BOB tenure

6. Hey Now!

Yeah; the McNairs, generally, have not been *bad* owners. They haven't always been *smart* owners - but that's different. They've stayed out of the way and trust their people - I like that approach - but, of course, it requires you to hire the right people.

I can think of only three instances - beyond the hiring phases - where the McNairs were "actively" bad owners:

1) letting Kubiak hire a *second* inexperienced DC; I'll give them credit for not letting him hire a third - and McNair shoving Wade Phillips at him was, actually, a brilliant move. But a good owner could've/should've looked at Kubiak's operation and seen the glaring weakness after '08 and put their foot down.

2) Ed Reed, which... I mean, I get it. And it's an example of not being wrong, per se - the team could've used an Ed Reed *type.* But give that directive to your football people and trust them to find someone; don't handle it yourself.

3) BOB the GM; specifically, his handling of the LT position and signing off on the Hopkins deal. I'll say it over & over - the *idea* of trading Hopkins made sense; the *execution* was awful. McNair should've a) known better; b) at the very least, gotten a second (not Easterby) opinion.

4) if somebody wants to argue not firing BOB after the Colts or Chiefs playoff debacles, I'd allow it. I might give a pass on the Colts' game - maybe: it was still less than six weeks after his dad died so maybe an organizational shake-up at that moment wasn't ideal or even possible. And I don't think bringing back the head coach of a team that had won 21 games the past two years is the mark of a *bad* owner - BUT! A *good* owner would've recognized the record was more fool's gold and sought something better.

Nook likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

How, exactly, is the new GM going to fire his boss?

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Easterby will not be the GM's boss. The GM reports to the owner. Easterby is not over the GM.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you know for a fact that hierarchy won't exist?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Depends on which of the conflicting reports you want to believe.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No he doesn’t. This is the only thing that Cal has officially said on Easterby. Everything else is conjecture based on what he allegedly told John McClain.

12. Hey Now!

He's the executive vice president of football operations, and that means, per the Texans' web site
    I am not privy to an org chart (nor, I'm guessing, are you), but how would the general manager not fall under "football operations"?

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, although Cal said the next GM will decide Easterby's role.

Great way to start a new tenure with a power struggle!

Joshfast likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He knows that for a fact just like he knew for a fact that "Bill O'Brien knows what he's doing"

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

#195 J.R., Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    zeeshan2 likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Oh that’s an easy one...Jack Easterby.

Only way this possibly ends is if DW4 walks into Cal’s office and says it’s either me or him. And even then I’m not sure what Cal would do.

ReturnOfTheMac and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Deshaun to the Bears for a couple of second round picks.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Garappolo!

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well Jack may have just gotten an extension with one of his homies being hired as GM.
    What an absolute circus of an organization.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.