1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]Favorite Allman Brothers Band Song(s)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, May 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I appreciate them! Saw them multiple times. How could I not?

Great road music. We used to spend hours putting together cassette tapes for the trip from Houston to Austin, and often on to Paleface Park, and then back to Houston. The Allman Brothers were always in the mix. I should dig out my Nakamichi and see if it still works. Doubt if the tapes have held up after 40 years, but most have the content scribbled on them. Not like I have anything else to do. ;-)

Buck Turgidson and Manny Ramirez like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I like almonds.

[​IMG]

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yes...a thousand times yes here! The Dreams box set is pretty good as well and I really like their comeback album "Seven Turns".

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Oh and a big thanks to Rocketsjudoka for bringing this thread back!

Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Favorite song?

Every goddamned one.

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Great band. Full show 1982...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. GIGO

GIGO Member

Back Where It All Belongs

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Always loved the intro to this song... and the whole song too.

Buck Turgidson and Deckard like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of those songs that the instant it begins, you know what it is. Hard not to be on your feet dancing when they played.

Buck Turgidson and rimrocker like this.
  11. SemisolidSnake

I have listened to this live performance of Blue Sky more times than I can count. This was recorded just two months before Duane Allman died in a motorcycle crash. Bassist Berry Oakley died about a year later also in a motorcycle crash. But they're all here in this time capsule.

This is what I have often called the "happiest" guitar playing I've ever heard. Duane's solo in the first half is so dexterous and just so bright and cheerful. And then Dickey Betts, who wrote the song, takes over in the second half with a more aggressive, equally full-of-life solo.

I've listened to this in good times, bad times, euphoric times, dark times, and plenty of times just for no reason at all. It's the best version of Blue Sky ever recorded and just one of the best things to ever hear. R.I.P. Duane, Berry, Butch, and Gregg.

12. SemisolidSnake

I'm so glad they released this performance on the official channel. It starts out with my favorite performance of Jessica. Much faster than the recorded version, and this breakneck speed just feels like how the song should be played. Dickey Betts was a master at writing these instrumental pieces, which is a rare talent.

They didn't play Ramblin' Man at all their concerts as I understand it, because it doesn't allow for as much improvisation as their other songs, and that was a key of their live performances.

The impressive thing about The Allman Brothers is that it continued on for another four decades with only one Brother. And it rotated and folded in an incredible array of musicians such as Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. And even continued on after they parted ways with Dickey. I learned about them late in their lifespan, and I wish I'd been able to catch them live. Thank goodness for Youtube.

13. Buck Turgidson

Controversial take upon further review: Dickey Betts was every bit the guitar picker that Duane Allman was.

Discuss amongst yourselves.