1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A friend of mine who is a health care worker got the vaccine two weeks ago but still came down with COVID-19 a few days ago. This is anecdotal but it does point out that with the two shot vaccines full immunity isn't conferred until after the second shot and even if you get the vaccine precautions still have to be taken.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I also heard that it takes at least a couple days after the shot for the cells to be activated in a way that triggers the immune response intended. I fear they’ll be a lot of people that get their 1st shot at 2pm on a Friday and are at the bar maskless at 4pm that Friday.

Jontro, No Worries and gifford1967 like this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

According to the CDC, it actually takes a few weeks after the shot(s) to build immunity.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It is only 95% effective. 5% is still a pretty big number. 5% of a 300million is 15 million. After the 1st shot only the effectiveness is even lower.

No Worries likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is where the "efficacy" vs. "effectiveness" comes in. No one really knows how effective the vaccine will be, but the efficacy according to the testing was 95%. It doesn't necessarily mean "5 out of 100 people are S.O.L." That's just what it was in controlled testing. In most cases, I think the effectiveness will be lower. One of the benefits is that if you vaccinate a large number of people, it reduces the rate of spread. Also, it's probably not necessary to vaccinate 300 million people (yet), assuming you're meaning the US population.

I think I remember reading the actual effectiveness of the flu vaccine yearly is, on average, only around 40-60%, but that helps.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Some of the biggest, overlooked news is that the number of SEVERE cases was even lower, with actually none (a big fat 0) in the Moderna test group. So in theory, even if you get COVID after being vaccinated, your chances for a severe case that put you in the hospital is even lower. (with the full two doses)

I think some of the tests showed that in both, about a week after the first dose, the vaccine has about 50% efficacy...its about a week after the second dose that is jumps up to 95%. So you do get SOME protection after the first dose.

They had a pretty big time Doctor on CNBC last week that said you could make the case to just give one dose to everybody in the first round, with a full two dose booster late in 2021 or even the J&J dose later. That would triage the deaths and despair faster, but wouldn't give you full coverage until late in 2021.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Got vaccinated today (Moderna). Arm is sore as hell

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That makes sense and another why it is recommended even after getting the vaccine to still continue to practice mask wearing and social distance.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Growing pains.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Are any of the people in this thread that have been vaccinated so far even at moderate risk or older?

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

also only lasts for 4 months? we're all fugged

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Study involve following 12k health care workers. Looks like immunity last 6m+

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545

BACKGROUND
    The relationship between the presence of antibodies to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and the risk of subsequent reinfection remains unclear.

CONCLUSIONS
    The presence of anti-spike or anti-nucleocapsid IgG antibodies was associated with a substantially reduced risk of SARS-CoV-2 reinfection in the ensuing 6 months.

robbie380 likes this.
  13. GIGO

GIGO Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-quarantine-in-swiss-ski-resort-verbier-covid

While Verbier, not far from the French border, has been the focus of most reporting, British skiers also fled other resorts – including the former Leave.EU campaigner Andy Wigmore, who compared his own family to the Von Trapps from The Sound of Music as he escaped via Paris after tough Swiss restrictions were introduced last week.​

“So had the best time in wengen.swiss until the Swiss decided to lockdown the country and quarantine all those who didn’t escape for 14 days … well just like in the Sound of Music the Wiggy von Trapps decided to make a run for it from the slopes of Switzerland to the French border in less than 3 hours.” In the film, the Von Trapps are escaping the Nazis.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Mask wearing is my main concern as there's an all or nothing attitude with "some people".

Once herd mentally immunity gets whispered more and more Those People will flip off the mask and claim they're vaccinated so they speshul enough not to follow rules...

15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I have a friend that works at Texas Children's hospital, doing finance, and they got the vaccine. I thought it kind of odd that we weren't "saving" or using vaccines for the most at risk and/or frontline workers.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Once the vaccine is widely available to anyone, people are not going to keep wearing masks because half the population doesn't want to get vaccinated.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thats not really how it works. If the hospital administration has secured enough vaccines for all its staff, take the vaccine. Its more inefficient to micromanage classification to every individual employee than it is to create bureaucracy to ensure low risk admin staff in the basement getting it before high risk classifications.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess from the POV that ICU capacity won't be under constant threat, it becomes more on each person's sense of risk/responsibility, like wearing a seat belt.

But not everyone will get vaccinated and the 80% that supposedly triggers herd immunity still means a lot of people will get violently ill.

The way I see it, if people are ready to ditch masking so quickly, death rate for covid won't likely vanish and become a seasonal tally like the flu or common cold.

19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/28/health/covid-psychosis-mental.html?referringSource=articleShare

Several thoughts and observations:

1. Zombie apocalypse

2. Trump and nuclear code

3. If catching COVID becomes disqualifying for firearms ownership like other mental illnesses, will that finally make the population predisposed to flaunting masks and social distancing finally take the proper precautions? (In b4 “dey commiecrats tryin to terk er guns”)

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I think that is very likely too happen. I think that is one reason why there is talk of developing vaccine passports to track who actually has been vaccinated.