1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Coach Silas’ performance in his first game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 27, 2020.

?

What grade would you give him?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2021.
  1. A

85 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. B

60 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. C

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. D

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I thought he was okay but should have featured Wood more in that second unit. Also needs to work on defending shooters coming off pindowns.

saleem and Lawlruschang like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We scored a billion points against a full strength blazers without most of our rotation. Defense is remain to be seen tho

Highlyrated, roslolian, bmelo and 4 others like this.
  3. HardenVolumeOne

i dont know what else he could have done, given the circumstances

s3ts, PhilCollins, topfive and 11 others like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Easiest A ever.

Had to handle a disgruntled superstar. Had to handle the absence of 2 new FAs, Eric Gordon and McLemore. That's 2 of your top 3 projected leading scorers out (Wall, Gordon), a versatile big (Cousins) and a solid player off the bench.

All that while trying to beat a good, full strength Portland team with only 9 Rockets players?

A+.

Highlyrated, s3ts, 13 in 33 and 23 others like this.
  5. Mr. Space City

B+

Took an outrageously undermanned team to OT with a good playoff caliber team. Offense showed a lot more versatility than just iso’s, chucking 3’s, and praying shots go in. I like how they actually ran plays, and Harden even had some off-ball movement. I liked seeing touches from players in the mid post. Only negative was the defense didn’t look too hot. A few blown assignments.

Not to mention he didn’t even have his best player most of training camp.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We won't get a good look until after everyone comes back. He didn't really have much of a choice with the rotations. I'm glad the role players stepped up for the most part but this is an inconclusive as would a potential horrible game by Houston against Denver would be.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

We had nine guys and missed huge pieces, we took a full strength Portland team to OT which needed career high performances to beat us by two points.

He handled Harden well, Wood looked great and we we played extremely competitive considering the circumstances.

He's been excellent so far imo.

raining threes and 18pbr like this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I would either go B- or C+. The offense was fun to watch and a nice change of pace compared to what we've seen the past few years. All the ball and player movement is nice to see, and we scored a lot of points. Was disappointed at the lack of discipline defensively and the poor effort boxing out. Gave up way too many offensive rebounds. I know this team was short handed but these guys that we had are supposed to be even better defensively than our main guys, so I'm not looking forward to our defense being even worse than it was tonight.

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

defense need lot of work

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

First year coach, with 9 players (4 rotation players out), embroiled in controversy, almost gets a win on the road. that's at the very least an A-

Being severely short handed has to give him extra points. He didnt know who was going to start 48 hours ago.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Coaching is always really hard to judge, and I’d say impossible to judge based on a sample of one early regular season game.

BigM and Lawlruschang like this.
  12. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

We lose by 20+ with D’Antoni and that squad. So if that’s the barometer, easiest A ever.

I personally thought he did fantastic. Your points are very hard to judge him on given the circumstances with personnel, in my opinion

Lawlruschang and whiskeyred like this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

It appears that the 3rd Q curse came with the keys. I would like to see him address halftime issues and energy level in Q3.

Will likely play out differently with the full roster, but always good to know a team's greatest weakness and address it early.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Same fcking crap like dtoni...coaches are just puppets for elite players. You can see with new England, Greg pop...and so forth. All these coaches are trash without stars.

15. SORF

SORF Member

B+...Silas called timeouts better than MDA...Solved the double-team on Harden...but defense needs more work.

I was surprised how PJ and House seemed lost at times. And both missed their FTs...no, unacceptable. And PJ, what you exhibited tonight is not worth 10 million. Need to do better.

16. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

other than not telling the bench to pass the ball to wood he was great

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  17. raining threes

With very little practice time.

I hope they can move PJ and or House and bring in a solid SF.

MettaWorldPete and Lawlruschang like this.
  18. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

there's a reason the spurs beat us without kawhi

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Believe it or not but Silas isn't actually on the court. He doesn't need to work on defending shooters because he doesn't actually play. In his post game interview he said he made the team aware of exactly what you are saying and said the team needs to work on it. Just because a coach knows something doesn't mean the players will make it happen.

20. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I believe the question was rating Silas' performance not the teams or maybe you was responding to someone without the quotes?