1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we be looking to Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I wonder if we can get cleveland involved as a third team? They've got a decent young team and may be interested in obtaining more picks as they keep building. The question is, could we pry away one of the two young guards (Sexton or Garland) as a reward for taking on Love?

Both of these guards are off to hot starts. Garland intrigues me more. Sexton is 21 and Garland is 20.

This isn't a trade proposal thread, but merely a thread to speculate on who that third team could be, and what the package that third team would get would look like.

I'll provide a scenario, just to see the reaction. This works from a salary standpoint.

Houston Out: James Harden, Eric Gordon, Danuel House, PJ Tucker

Houston In: Jaylen Brown, Darius Garland, Kevin Love, Aaron Nesmith, 2023 FRP Boston (unprotected), 2025 FRP Boston (unprotected)

Boston out: Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Aaron Nesmith, 2021 FRP, 2023 FRP, 2025 FRP

Boston In: Harden, PJ Tucker

Cleveland out: Kevin Love, Darius Garland

Cleveland in: Eric Gordon, Danuel House, Marcus Smart, 2021 Boston FRP (1-14 protected)

Not sure that this makes sense for everyone, but it's an outside the box trade that shows how the Rockets could infuse young talent from two teams while rebuilding through the draft.

I'm just curious to see what other outside the box teams and talents we can acquire. I think the Cavs are a viable option to poach from with their good young players.

#1 Two Sandwiches, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

3. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

In before the flames. Seems like a possible 3rd team avenue. But Love is owed almost 100 million

5. Asian Sensation

I like the deal for us but how does that help Cleveland? I’m pretty sure they’re trying to keep their young talent and not let it get poached away. They can afford to just ‘eat’ Love’s contract until it expires or at least until it’s the final year And then consider trading it when it’s more valuable. There’s no reason at all to get rid of one of their young budding stars right now and they have no use for Gordon let alone 2 Gordon’s.

6. Garner

Garner Member

You took a lot of time to write up a new thread that is going to get dumped on.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Its definitely a hard sell for Cleveland, but I think it will be for any third team. I think there third team will have to win the deal a bit.

Getting rid of Love is a plus for the cap. You're taking back Gordon, but he's a fair contract for the offense he'll provide them. Smart is a good player and presence for them and still 26. And House basically just helps round out the money, but is serviceable. The pick helps the rebuild. Unless the Rockets sent them a second Boston pick (or forwarded the Pistons pick).

Part of my point for the thread though is to gauge what we think a realistic third destination would look like, and how that team would be convinced to join.

8. Asian Sensation

If I’m Cleveland I’m keeping my young players and giving them full run and letting them continue to develop while they lead me nowhere in the next few years except to the lottery just the way I want it.

9. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

It’s best never to look towards Cleveland, causes eye irritation with all the particular participants up there.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That is honestly terrible.

Here's where I start every single trade negotiation: it cannot be a player who's had two good games to start a season.

There needs to be a slight body of work before I part with James freaking Harden.

The undervaluing of just how amazing he is, is astounding. Especially considering it's a Rockets forum.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just keep him for now.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I would pass.

I don’t want Jaylen Brown for James Harden and I don’t want to take on Kevin Love’s contract.

I haven’t seen Garland or the other guard they drafted that no one wants to play with... play this year, but I wasn’t high on either of them when I have seen them.

If I am dealing Harden I want Porter or likely lottery picks. If I have to decide between Brown and Simmons, I will hold my nose and take Simmons.

whiskeyred likes this.