1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Karla a choker in the play-offs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theWIGMAN, Apr 18, 2004.

1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

They can't lie, you're right. Mailman's done a lot. You're right there, too. But he clearly didn't do enough. The 5 pt drop in fg% shows that he certainly didn't bring his best game to the play-offs. How do great players win championships? --- They raise their level of play in the post-season; they give it all they've got; they "give 110%"; in short, they absolutely have to play their best - especially if they're expected to carry the team to greatness; My argument isn't that his play-off numbers are bad (because they're not). My argument is that his falling fg% shows that he didn't raise his level of play in the play-offs, that he didn't turn it up a notch, that he didn't play at his best when the team needed him most. He played worse than he did in the regular season - that's what I'm saying. Hence, it is my humble opinion that he choked in the play-offs. While players like Air, Dream, and the Big Fundamental turned up the throttle in the play-offs on their way to Championships, the Mailman forgot to shift into a higher gear and failed to deliver a championship.

2. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Ok then... but why does the title suggest to me that 'Karla' is a 'choker' in the playoffs? To me it sounds as though you are saying he is of no use in the playoffs, considering that the term 'choker' is normally given to someone who blatantly struggles under pressure; it does not sound as though you are trying to argue whether or not he puts out '110%' into his play, because that is a totally different issue.

3. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Even so, the numbers do not suggest he struggles in the playoffs, either. It is quite normal for a player's stats to drop slightly in the post season, due to the intensity and style of the games; even Jordan posts slightly worse numbers in the post season.

4. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Not really. I think we have a difference of opinion here regarding what "choking" is. You think it has to be "blatant" struggling. I think choking is simply failing to step up under pressure. Karl Malone stepped down his play. The players who win championships step up their play.

5. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

This has all been discussed before in this thread. It's true: fg% all fall "slightly" even for great players due to the intense style of defense that prevails in the play-offs. Jordan's went down 1 percentage pt. Duncan's virtually stayed the same (less than 1/2 a point down). Olajuwon's actually went UP a pt (of course, Dream was a very special play-off monster - nearly all of his stats show improvement under play-off pressure). However, it IS "normal" for a slight drop of even 2 pts or more in fg% among the play-off greats. But compared to most of them, Mailman's 5 pt. drop is the most extreme - so I can't consider it "slight". It's extreme even when you compare it to other greats who haven't won championships either. So, yes, I think the Mailman did struggle to raise his performance in the play-offs. He certainly struggled more than other superstar players - which is a strange thing for someone considered to be the greatest power forward of all time.

6. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

Malone was a BIG TIME CHOKER in crunch time. He always deferred to Stockton.

When he had to get a big bucket in a playoff game, he consistently choked.

Some examples off the top of my head:

Game 1 CHI in 97: Malone bricks 2 straight FT's with 10 seconds left and the Jazz lose on the buzzer beater by Jordan

Game 6 CHI in 98: Jazz up by 1 with 15 seconds left; Malone gets a deer in headlights look when delivered the ball and Jordan rips it completely cleanly from him (Malone whines like a biatch after the play to the refs when the replays show 100% ball); this turnover leads to Jordan's series winning shot over Russell

Game 1 vs. Dallas in 01: Malone wide open from 16 feet with Utah down 1 to the Mavs throws up a Brick and the Jazz lose to Dallas and end up losing the series in 5 games.

-Had the refs actually called Malone's blatant bearhug on Drexler in 97, that would have been yet another bonehead turnover/gaffe by Malone in the waning moments of crunch time in a playoff game.

-Malone's 5% FG drop is huge. The NEXT clutch bucket Malone makes in a playoff game will be his FIRST.

-I'd put Malone up with DRob as a great regular season player who went from "great" to only "good" in the playoffs. Neither player had the skills to lead a team to a title as the primary player.

7. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Looks like the jinx is done yet. :D

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He should've been ejected. The basketball gods will not let him win a championship.

9. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Only player over 40 to score 20 or more in a half.

Only player over 40 to score 30 or more in a playoff game.

You'll get props from me at least Karl. :p

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Exactly.

I could almost root for the Lakers every year, but with Malone on the team, I am rooting against them every game just so Karl won't get his ring.

Even when they play SA. Ill just HAVE to root for SA.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And he'll still never win a championship. Dirty ****.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No way. Spurs *yuck* will win the Championship this season.

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i've just referred you to NAMBLA, I hope you and Mr. Malone find happiness one day.

14. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

I had to look that up to see what it was. You are one sick puppy, but it doesn't suprise me that you are so closely tied with them as to make a personal referral. :cool:

15. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

Lol... Man, wth?! I just looked that up. I seriously hope NyQuil isn't trying to recruit new members to his club from this forum.

16. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

Wig, I might have to agree that Malone's a choker afterall. He's been choking the Rockets to death ever since you started this thread.