1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Wants to Give $2000 Instead of $600

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The Republicans look like uncaring pricks who don’t give a damn about people suffering. I hope the GA voters vote for the Democrat Senatorial candidates so the people who need it get more than a measly amount of $600. It’s laughable that Republicans are crying about the deficit now of all times. I hope they just sank their own ship with this move.

DVauthrin, DaDakota, omar23 and 6 others like this.
  2. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

No offense, but FIFY.

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They should allow folks to choose which year to use.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The important thing for the folks who need it most is getting it asap. Their tax issues are minimal as is their income.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure how that affects what I wrote. There are many families that made much less money this year than what they filed on their 2019 tax return and would be entitled to a larger amount if they could use their 2020 income. It should be really easy for folks to estimate their 2020 income and if they underestimate it then they would be responsible for repaying what they claimed when they file their 2020 taxes.

R0ckets03 and dobro1229 like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Repugs turning it down on Christmas eve. never change repugs good one..

Meanwhile guys like kanye and osteen are getting 4 million. Welfare only exists for the rich

AleksandarN, mikol13, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Look in the mirror dude.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hursday-vote-on-trump-s-2-000-stimulus-checks

Its like you ignore all facts about what the house has been pushing for stimulus and create your own "facts".

You are the progressive OAN.

Talk about being in a echo chamber.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is what you're not understanding. There are people who need assistance. Lets help them. But stop giving massive amounts of money to people who dont need it. The market is at an all time high in the middle of a massive pandemic. Stop artificially feeding it. I dont need $2000. Ill just buy Tesla stock or something. Stop giving people like me money! There are too many of us.

Ziggy and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The house will pass a version and it will die there.

It took 10 years to pass this 2nd covid bill. Senate Republican aren’t going to pass a 2k version of it even if Trump veto the 600 one.

10. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Easy...send the $2000 to everyone then take it back on 2021 taxes for income over some amount (75k?). So basically a tax free loan to people that don’t need it and straight cash for those that do. Using 2019 tax returns to judge 2020 or 2021 need is stupid.

R0ckets03 and durvasa like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The people that need assistance are getting unemployment cut off after Dec 26th. The bills provides assistance to them, extending the moratorium for evictions, and providing funds for renters/landlords to get financial help. Not to mention vaccine distribution of around 7 billion. Trump could have negotiated this "$2000" into the deal in good faith but as always he's showing his lack of leadership during the greatest economic time of our generation and people will continue to suffer because of his ineptitude.

DVauthrin and dmoneybangbang like this.
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

10 years? Damn we're ****ed then...:(

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Again, I stated people who need it should get assistance. Even at a 75k cut off, a family making 150k during COVID does not need 4k. Way too much of this money is ending up in the wrong hands....across the board.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I understand it plenty. They’re the ones setting these f_cked up rules on who gets what. It’s not like anyone has a say except them.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

My 2020 income is maybe 10% of 2019. In the hospitality. Not real hope of it improving that much either in 2021. So it would be real fn stupid if it's based on 2019 income.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A scorpion, which cannot swim, asks a frog to carry it across a river on the frog's back. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung by the scorpion, but the scorpion argues that if it did that, they would both drown.

The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion.

Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both.

The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I couldn't help it. It's in my nature."

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is kind of a weird argument to be saying that there should’ve been more and then blame Pelosi for holding up the bill because she was trying to get more in it. It also ignores the fact that from the House side they passed a bill back in the summer and were negotiating with The Trump administration for months after until Trump shut down negotiations and then McConnell recessed the Senate after they confirmed Amy Coney Barrett.

I thought Pelosi should’ve accepted the $1.8 trillion deal but if your complaints is that they weren’t really happy about the last CARES Act and the $1,200 that was in that would they have been happy about one would’ve had less?

ElPigto and Andre0087 like this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I didn't get a stimulus check in the 1st round and won't get any this round either. I wouldn't mind getting some money.

ElPigto likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree this should be more targeted. I didn’t think I would get a check the first time but I did get a few hundred and donated that money. I don’t expect everyone to donate their check if they aren’t struggling but we are in an ongoing crisis.

I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about this stuff especially about things like foreign aid that isn’t directly related to CoVId 19 relief. Yet we also have many people complaining about how many small businesses are struggling and how they and their employees need help. In many cases these are the same people.

This is a crappy bill but if you really believe that many struggling and so many businesses on the edge keeping this bill from being enacted is prolonging the pain.