1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

You can also replace Castro with Tyler White and we get the same batter at the plate.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m completely fine with Castro returning at a reasonable salary. He can do well in a backup/platoon role. A lot of fans have a sour taste, but we’re not signing him to be our front-line, ~450 AB, starting catcher, and that’s not what we need him to be in order to succeed.

He’s still a solid defender and good veteran presence for the pitching staff. Like others have said, he should platoon well with Machete. We’re not winning or losing the season on our backup catcher...let’s see how the rest of the offseason plays out...

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

More and more I think the Astros offseason purely revolves on what they do in CF. Finding a cheap veteran pitcher to eat innings, a decent bat who can play corner outfield, and a late inning reliever are givens. But finding somebody who can play a decent CF while also being able to hit in the top or middle of a contending lineup is gonna be tricky on their budget. I am not much of a fan of Bradley.

4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Josh Bell has been traded to the Nats.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

Agree with Snake Diggit, it’s all about who is the CF. Still holding out a small amount of hope Springer comes back.

7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

McTaggert made a comment on Twitter pretty recently when someone asked why the Astros haven’t made any significant moves, he replied that they are basically awaiting Springer’s decision.... if that’s the case it makes me wonder if the Astros feel like they’re making Springer a competitive offer to return.

I believe he’s likely gone... and hope we’re able to fill our rosters holes instead of letting guys sign elsewhere while being held hostage by a springer decision that doesn’t end up in our favor.

King1, raining threes and IowaAstro like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nats paid a high price. Two of their top 10 prospects for a guy who was a pretty awful hitter in 2020 and whose entire value is tied to his bat. Equivalent for Houston would be something like Bryan Abreu and Hunter Brown.

King1 and No Worries like this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeah. Makes you wonder how much stock the analytics folks are putting into 2020. Such an obscure season with woefully inadequate prep. The list of great hitters who hovered the Mendoza line is pretty crazy.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah there’s a ton of evidence teams are willing to ignore 2020. Gurriel’s extension is another example.

11. raining threes

This money could be better spent elsewhere. I don't get fans love of former players that sucked.

Nook and No Worries like this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The only hope I have regarding Springer is that the two teams showing the most interest in him are the Mets and Toronto. Those cities have significantly higher taxes than Houston. We can offer about 10% less and still have the bigger net contract.

13. msn

msn Member

I don't like it... Beltrán redux.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I still have high hopes for Click’s ability to make a move to steal a young CF who blossoms for the Astros. Austin Hays or Yusniel Diaz from the Orioles seem like good targets to me.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think this take is a bit premature until the terms of the deal come out. If they spend anything north of 5 mil, yeah I’d be a bit taken back. But based on the market, I would anticipate Castro’s deal being close to the vet min (or maybe a few mil). Again, my take is that it’s not a bad signing so long as the salary is reasonable, but that’s the 3-5 million dollar question. We wouldn’t ink Castro to a deal that prohibits us from signing more crucial players; I think the likliest outcome is that he can be had for the amount Crane et al have alotted for a backup C type slot. Plus, Castro can be a perfectly capable platoon catcher especially when surveying other available options.

16. raining threes

Give me Stubb's and spend the money on Brantley

No Worries likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros likely have the money for Brantley if they want him. A deal for a catcher other than for Realmuto or a large overpay should not affect if Astros keep Brantley. Regarding Brantley, I think Astros try to go younger for more years, but it is risky trying to wait out the market.

#1117 Joe Joe, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I like your lipstick.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Any interest in giving Nick Williams an OF shot? Local kid, former top prospect, still just 27 years old, has shown some MLB ability in the past. It’s make or break for him at this point, but the talent is there. He hasn’t lived up to his potential, and he probably never will, but you never know...

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would be very interested if he could play center. But either way I think he’s an interesting player. I’m hoping they add a more proven bat for the corner (Schwarber or Rosario) then take a higher risk/reward guy for CF.

Hank McDowell likes this.