1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Simmons, Brown, Herro, or Siakam?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Dec 20, 2020.

?

Who would you want to trade Harden for?

1. Ben Simmons

2. Jaylen Brown

3. Tyler Herro

4. Pascal Siakam

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Obviously Jaylen brown can never be James harden. Harden is an all time great but Jaylen is a really good young all star level player whose only 24 years old. He will never be offensively what James is but he’s such a high character guy and a Promising young player really I’m not sure the Celtics want to trade that away right now especially if James won’t even stay more than 2 years.

Y2JT likes this.
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I dont agree. Ainge had a treasure chest of valuable picks that he was reluctant to trade so he sat on them.

He's been able to put together a nice team but I don't think that they are a championship team. Tatum and Brown are a couple of nice pieces but I don't believe that they get you by Brooklyn or Milwaukee.

Boston sat out on several free agents and then the moves they did make didn't really work out. They trade for Kyrie and it didn't go well and then he walked for nothing. They used their cap space to sign Hayward and then he gets hurt and also walks for nothing in return. The Kemba Walker deal made sense at the time but it hasn't worked out and hes trying up lots of cap space.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the first round picks from other teams are now gone. Boston has their own picks but low first rounders aren't that valuable.

Harden may be the simplest way for Boston to be a true contender. If that's a two year window I'd take it over being good but not great for a longer time.

I'm just not sure what else Boston would include. They'd need to send back at least $30m in a deal for Harden. I believe that Brown makes $23m so there's got to be more salary included.

As for picks, Boston doesnt have any really attractive picks remaining. That's the same problem with most contenders, they dont have any attractive picks. GS has the T-Wolves pick this year and that's about it.

#202 aelliott, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

If Brown were available at this point, I think Stone would have pulled the trigger already. Jalen fills a hole indeed. Something is holding up that deal Unless Ainge backed off...

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t agree. He isn’t a special player. Again a fringe player that is serviceable and productive as a starter or even backup in this league. Much is talked about potential but he isn’t going to magically become a superstar generational type player after 4 years in the league so I think the valuation here is a bit high. As I said before just like drafting players you take the best guy on the board and unfortunately due to slim pickings the best player on this board is Ben Simmons hands down in spite of his limited offensive capabilities. Simmons is still a one of one type player with outstanding vision, defense, and passing ability. Got to go with the best player on the board.

6. sungjina

sungjina Member

Jaylen Brown is a beast. Love his game, he can do it all -- shoot, drive, rebound, and he has the length and mobility to defend (unlike Harden). If ever Jaylen wanted to step out of Tatum's shadow and put himself more in the spotlight, I definitely think he's capable of living up to the hype.

Jayrod25 likes this.
  7. PWR

PWR Member

After yesterday's games, my order is on point. The 3 way trade to get Buddy Hield + shooters stays #1 option. The close #2 is Jaylen Brown. Don't even talk to me about Simmons...lol.

Plus, 5-11 from three

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah clearly Brown is not even on the table.

9. Boston84

Boston84 Member

They have all their own picks moving forward which is as good or better than any other team the rockers could trade with. They have a 28 million dollar trade exception to add to the team, if they do nothing but have internal growth from Tatum and Jaylen they’ll be just fine. U say they’ll be good but not Great and that’s your opinion.

they could also trade for harden and be in the same exact position. Not too many people are clamoring to pay harden 50 million at 33,34,35 and if he’s gonna treat a franchise like the rockets who did everything for him like dirt-what’s he gonna do to a place he doesn’t wanna be?

10. Boston84

Boston84 Member

If brown smart and multiple picks were on the table ainge would’ve closed and I think stone would have relented and got this over wifh...,it’s not. It won’t be I don’t think

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The way things are going, I am beginning to wonder if what we get back for Harden amounts to much more than a bag of Doritos.

Could we have the first super star in history that every team is afraid to sign? Afraid that all this BS he is pulling on us will be pulled on them?

12. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I don’t think they move off Embiid. The combination of James and Embiid is what Daryl has always been looking for.

Stephen_A and dmoneybangbang like this.
  13. aelliott

Low first round picks are a dime a dozen. You can easily buy that level pick if you like.

Do you really believe that the Celtics are going to go big into the tax? Odds are that the majority of that exception go unused.

I agree that they'll be just fine, just not champions.

Also, Boston would never trade for Harden unless he agreed to go there.

If you believe that Harden's game is going to fall off of a cliff in 3 or 4 years then I think you are in for a surprise. His game is based off of skill and strength, not athleticism.

14. Boston84

Boston84 Member

so you are kind of talking in circles , Celtics should trade for harden while also saying Celtics also shouldn’t trade for harden if he won’t stay. Well, they aren’t on his list so it looks like it’s a huge gamble hence why it’s a risk losing young pieces like brown even.

yes, the Celtics owners will go into the tax- for a team that can win a ring and or are legitimate title contenders. They’ve done it before and have made it known they’ll do it again. The whole point of not going into the tax this season is to avoid a repeater tax down the road when other financial commitments kick in and to not pay tax for a team that’s probably still a year away.

the exception last a year so they can use it next offseason and while you are correct most exceptions go to waste- most them and close to none are worth 28.5 million dollars, so you can’t say that’ll go away when they rarely are that high, simply because we don’t know because we haven’t seen one that large before.

it’s also really irrational to just say they won’t be champions....I mean this year? No. Likely not. Agreed but in 2, 3, years? Who knows that’s the beauty of having young franchise players like Tatum and all star level players like brown who are 24 to see them grow. The misconception is that the Celtics have been in this championship window for years- the championship window is directly tied to Tatum and brown’s development and goes with how good they get.

You can say ainge blew assets but kawhi was neger staying, ad made it clear he wasn’t staying, butler was a locker room question mark at that time. the same assets u say he “blew” drafted brown, drafted Tatum, traded for kyrie, who left and the team was still good enough to make the conference finals. So we just disagree.

there’s different ways to skin a cat, Morey went all in every year in a league that was dominated by the warriors. as a fan you applaud that but now you’re in a position with limited flexibility, a superstar that’s ungrateful and demanding out and although it’s a different conference been to less conference finals than the Celtics with all those moves.

I don’t question if hardens game will fall off a cliff- he’s a player based on skill like you mentioned he will still be very good. What I question is his lifestyle- it’s easy to play with a hangover and after partying right now, how will it be at 34,35? is he still gone be out all night? how will he be when he’s no longer a top 6 guy and he’s not scoring 45 after a night on the town.

#214 Boston84, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  15. aelliott

Harden understands that Houston will have to receive value. If he wants to go to a contender then it might not be Brooklyn, Philly or Miami. Would he agree to Boston? Who knows. The point is if he's willing then Ainge would be a fool to not make a deal. It's his best shot. You dont refuse to trade for the best offensive player on the planet because you dont want to trade Brown. He's a nice player but he's nowhere in the same stratosphere as Harden.

You can correct me if I'm wrong but Boston has never gone deep into the tax. Now they've paid tax two years in a row. So you believe that they are going to set themselves up for a repeater tax and take on $28m in additional salary and then get hit with a multiplier? That's not going to happen.

Regardless, who are you going to get for that exception? It has to be a trade and you can't combine it with anything else. All you will get is a player who's salary a team wants to dump. If Boston still had some of those attractive picks then maybe, but they don't.

Brown has never been an all star and it will be very tough for him to make an all star team due to the competition. Tatum is an all star.

If you believe that Tatum and Brown are enough to get a title then ok but Tatum and Harden give you a better shot.

#215 aelliott, Dec 24, 2020
  16. Boston84

Boston84 Member

you understand that the tpe last into next offseason right ? They don’t have to use it this season, can stay under the tax and use it next offseason and or they can use parts of it this year, I believe around 19 and avoid the tax line. I understand what the tpe is and how it’s used but I appreciate the cba course on the fly.

brown has never been an All star but he’s 24....it’s his first year as being a true number 2 and kemba will be out half the year. Tatum isn’t just an all star Tatum can be a top 7 player in the league, he’s a bonafide superstar in the making who plays defense as well.

im saying it’s TBD if Tatum AND brown are enough but it’s also worth seeing if it will be, and it’s a giant risk banking that harden stays and then you trade brown away. The Celtics have the luxury of seeing 2 young players grow. You also thing going deep into the tax = great management or roster construction.

ownership WILL go into the tax, when it has a real team that can win, just going into the tax to do it and have no real shot at winning is terrible. you also can trade brown for harden and still lose to the nets and or bucks and then he leaves you I’m just saying the Celtics are in a position where they don’t HAVE to do anything

17. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden's game isn't going to suddenly nose dive, his game is the sort to age very well.

I hear a lot "Harden will slow down", but the reality is that even in 3-4 years when Harden is 35 years old he will likely be as good or better than almost all the players the Rockets are looking at. I like Jaylen Brown but I will take a 35 year old Harden over Brown.

If the Celtics can get Harden they should, there hasn't been a player that fundamentally changes how teams defend like they do for Harden since Jordan was in his prime. It isn't unusual for Harden to get doubled or triple teamed in the playoffs. He is a fabulous passer as well, he would make the Celtics favorites, and the same with the Sixers or Heat. He is a monster.

As for the Rockets, they really should be looking hard at Porter and Harris and either Hampton or another young player and a draft pick.

A Nuggets team with Harden would be NASTY.

Y2JT and D-rock like this.
  18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Interesting points... But you forgot to ask the most important question:

What are the strip clubs like in Denver and Boston?

19. varughese.arun

EXACTLY! Simmons has sucked at shooting since Highschool. He is a career 59% free-throw shooter. He ain't getting any better at shooting- ever.
    If Simmons runs point, we give other teams the luxury to slack off him on defense, crowd the paint, and hinder Wood's growth. Simmons is going on his 5th year in the NBA, he aint getting any better. This is who he is- an inflated asset. Morey is trying to dump him.
    No team has ever built a team around a guy with just good defense and great passing. You think Simmons is going to be LeBron... yall stupid?

TYLER HERRO should have been the # 2 pick in his draft class. He is an ELITE SHOOTER, (can be streaky), CRAFTY SCORER with the ability to CREATE PLAYS, plays Defense, and can Rebound. He is on his ROOKIE CONTRACT, THIS GIVES THE ROCKETS SO MUCH FLEXIBILITY!

#219 varughese.arun, Dec 24, 2020
  20. dmoneybangbang

Barf.....

Trading Harden for cap flexibility..... no thanks.