1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What would it take to get Joe Musgrove in a trade? He's likely to get some money in arbitration making it likely Pirates ship him off. Looking at the stats, it looks like he's figured out that his fastball sucks and he threw almost 50% breaking balls (he's always thrown sliders to RHBs, but he really upped the curves against LHBs) last season in 8 starts (missed some games, triceps). He was one of the best starters regarding striking out batters last season which is very different than when he left Houston.

Always risky taking a chance on a small sample, but I think there is a good chance Musgrove solidifies himself as a No. 2 this year. Even if he reverts back, he was a league average starter capable of eating up some innings which Astros may need next season.

RustyHarden and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

The Pirates will likely move Musgrove as he is about to get more expensive. From what I have read they think he should bring them at least one top 100 prospect and a secondary top 250 prospect.

Joe Joe likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That would seem reasonable assuming Top 100 is weighted to the backend. Not sure Astros would trade Whitley, and not sure another team would risk accepting him at close to value in a trade until he pitches again. I doubt he makes it on the Top 100 lists, but I expect Garcia is more highly valued by some MLB teams (not necessarily the Pirates) than the prospect lists. Not sure Astros have anyone else that could pretend to be a Top 100 prospect at the moment.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Considering the cost and the current situation with our farm system, I would rather sign one of the free agents like Rodon, Urena, or Quintana and save the prospects. I don't expect the Astros to acquire someone that would push Framber down a spot in the rotation. He will be the number 2. A lot of hopium in our rotation right now considering nobody outside of Greinke has thrown 150 innings in a season.

Joe Joe likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wouldn’t want Houston to give the at up for Musgrove, even though he is probably worth it.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I think the farm is usually very important, I'm surprised, in a good way, how many want to protect it right now. I don't want to trade any good upper level arms as Astros likely need them. If Nova, Toro, and/or Pena could be centerpiece (very doubtful) I would be all for it even if they were good enough to be a backend Top 100 prospect. While Musgrove would be expensive for Pirates, he would allow Astros to spend more on position players as he would be a cheap 100+ innings of average or better pitching for Astros for a couple of years.

Though, I doubt Pittsburgh wants the Astros position player prospects that much.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. SuraGotMadHops

Damn, TB is making the moves that I thought we'd be making now that we got Click. I would've loved Wacha at that price.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Confirmed: The TB Rays cheat according to passan

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Not sure I’d put him in the rotation over Urquidy or Javier.

Joe Joe likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Who is the most likely to go to the pen if the Astros add a starter? Javier is likely the best as a high leverage reliever, but also has the potential to become a mighty fine starter if Astros keep working on his stamina. Framber is too valuable as a starter. Urquidy had very interesting stuff last season, but couldn't control it. LMJ is dominant when healthy. Greinke would be so pissed if he went to the pen...though all 5 of those should be pissed if sent to the pen.

I would guess Urquidy in a long relief role/tandem starter role.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Reds reportedly shopping Eugenio Suarez. He’s under control for 5 seasons and a pretty good player. Astros could either put him at LF for a year or go ahead and trade Correa and move Bregman to SS to give Suarez 3B.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hypothetical:

Astros get:
    3B Eugenio Suarez
    OF Gilberto Celestino

Twins get:
    SS Carlos Correa
    RHP Jojanse Torres

Reds get:
    C Ryan Jeffers
    SS Keoni Cavaco

Twins get a superstar SS for one year and a late inning relief prospect in exchange for their #6, 7, and 14 prospects.

Reds get out of Suarez’s $40M commitment and get 2 Org Top 10 prospects in exchange for 4-5 years of an above average everyday IF.

Astros get 4-5 years of an affordable above average 3B and a good mlb ready CF prospect in exchange for 1 year of Correa and a high risk/reward RP prospect.

Suarez is not Correa, but he has been healthier and is a really good player in his own right. Knowing they would have a core of Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, Altuve, and Suarez for at least 4 seasons ensures the team would be a playoff contender.

Nook likes this.
  14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Michael Wacha is dust and has been for a few years. Nothing more than a regular season innings eater akin to Wade Miley.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Per SF chronicle, Redball merger with Boston ownership group not expected prior to 2021 season due to MLB lack of approval and as such Beane likely stays with A's another year. Dammit Manfred.

#1055 Joe Joe, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/mlb-payrolls-dropped-a-collective-2-47-billion-in-2020.html

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Red Sox and Blue Jays also interested. Angels actually able to get guys out would be less than optimal especially on the cheap with their flash over production prospects.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Angels have made it clear they are going to add at least one top end starter.

Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Getting one on a $3-4M contract makes the getting the 2nd and maybe 3rd one easier.

Nook likes this.
  20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

#1060 punkoholic, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Joe Joe likes this.