1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are good speakers for my TV/stereo?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FrontRunner, Dec 20, 2020.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

We got a new TV for our bedroom and I would like to get a pair of speakers to go along with it. I'm not interested in surround sound as much as I'm looking for a set of stereo speakers to play my Amazon music through the TV, if you follow..

I guess I would prefer wireless because it will allow more flexibility, but I've never seen LARGE wireless speakers (just little Bose-type bookshelf affairs). Do they work okay???

I want big speaker sound and I want it to be loud, but I don't want a bunch of **** cluttering up the room and I don't want to spend more than a few hundred max. Will this sort of thing work and sound decent or is their something else I should consider???

The TV is a Samsung TU700D, FWIW (sure to disappoint the lot of you, lol).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

That's beautiful and far too sophisticated for my budget, lol. Then again, if it sounds as nice as it looks it might be a bargain...

4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Lets just say the whole apartment shakes when I play any Christopher Nolan film lol definitely have to be considerate of the neighbors. The functionality of the app is meh but the quality is awesome

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I use the 3.1 from an old 5.1 Mirage AVS 500 setup. The setup replaced my floor standing Vandersteen 2c speakers which were awesome speakers but too large for my house at the time. You probably could find a complete set up on ebay for less than $200.

If I had a $1,000 and was doing it all over again... I'd buy these. Wireless, great sound, can stream from multiple sources.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Soundbars look like your budget. While not the best sound quality, they are easy to install and have a clean aesthetic. It'll still perform better than stock TV speakers.

If you want better quality sound, you'll need an A/V receiver (starts at $150) and then get speakers on top of that. I use a $200 A/V receiver, two towers and a center channel ($300'ish).

FrontRunner likes this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Can mount these on a wall. Technically for surround but the design just takes directional sounds out of it. Anyways, just a suggestion in a sea of soundbar links.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Get the Sonos speakers
    They got several ones .

I just need to buy the subwoofer for my surround sound. Sheet sounds amazing

FrontRunner likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Taste in sound is so subjective. I have a $160 LG Soundbar/subwoofer combo that came with an optical audio cable. I can connect to it via bluetooth and use it with my phone or alexa to stream music.

It sounds great to me especially at the price, and I'm sure @jiggyfly would agree with me.

On the other hand, @tinman would probably think it's hot garbage.

FrontRunner, jiggyfly and tinman like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should upgrade to the LG meridian soundbar

11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm sure The Dark Knight would be intense with your setup. I had a 15" powered sub that made explosion sounds almost lifelike. One of my last acts was to play U-571 for my crappy apartment neighbors. :cool:

12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I see a used set on eBay now, but I believe they're wired. It looks like serious quality though.

EDIT: Wow, I'm looking at some of the Vandersteen speakers... Their stuff is beautiful. If you say the Mirage setup is good I think I believe you.

#12 FrontRunner, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I like the price. But can it turn my room into
    ?[​IMG]

14. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I recommend Sonos because it's wireless, proven and expandable. If you want stereo sound on a budget I would get two certified refurbished Sonos 1's - https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/certified-refurbished-2 for $198. Then look for the Sonos Beam sound bar on sale. You can probably get everything for $500. Two Sonos 1's grouped in stereo sound will definitely make you smile, but some audiophiles do prefer the warmth of analog speakers - but you wont find those in wireless.

Another interesting product is the JBL 5.1, but it doesn't have the proven staying power or expandability of Sonos. https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+Bar+5.1.html

You'd be surprised how few good wireless options there are out there, and even fewer on a budget, and even fewer if you want Atmos.

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. lpbman

lpbman Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’d go for a pair of focal grand utopias powered by a couple of Boulder 3050 monoblocks. With some decent cabling, it may go over your budget of a couple hundred K, but the sound will be SO worth it.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

microplanars don't take up much horizontal room

20. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member