1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Older Folks Educate Us On The Time Hakeem Demanded a Trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Dec 18, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How did he find Islam then?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure what your case even is - sounds like you are just arguing to be able to say, "I'm right and you are moving goal posts, I win!"

Fact is, Hakeem reacted very understandably to being falsely accused of faking an injury. Harden is just wanting out and not able to see he is better off staying. Harden is by far being less rational.

I get you are a big Harden lover, but this is a Rockets forum, not a Harden Only Fans site lol.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are wrong, both players behaved badly when they did not get what they wanted.

Both players demanded trades.

Both players are Houston greats.

Both players deserve(d) to stay and take next step to greatness with Rockets.

The only one reacting with negative emotion here is you. You are obviously biased and b****y right now.

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Maybe someone influential or respected talked him out of it the way jerry buss talked Kobe out of it?
    Maybe there is some value to ric bucher’s report about Tillman’s support forTrump. As dumb as that story was perhaps it comes down to respect and trust. Kobe had Jerry Buss and things worked out there similar to this Hakeem story. Perhaps Tilman isn’t that influential and respected person that can pursuade his main star to stay especially with such a polarizing issue as trump support.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I disagree with your assessment. Harden is being irrational.

It's unfortunate you have to engage in personal attacks. That's the end of our discourse.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Biased and b****y you continue to be.

LOL

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I doubt it. I am sure a lot of owners support Trump and you don't see Harden going, hey don't trade me to a team with a pro-Trump owner.

I think Harden wants out because it's easier for him to blame the organization vs see himself as being part of the problem.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is bad logic. You could use this logic to defend any kind of emotionalist response. I think you mean its natural to be that emotional. Not that it is rational. Humans are far from rational, especially when emotional. It's rational to sit down and draw a game theory box and determine your best next move. Its emotional to attack your opponent. Same thing goes for political discussion. People thinking emotionalism is rational explains the current polarized state of things.

This is why we have posters here playing jilted ex GF and demanding that the Rockets dump Harden for whatever comes back. Thats not rational, that's anger. The Rockets maximizing their return is rational.

D-rock likes this.
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Hakeem was averaging 11.9 pts a game in his last season with the Rockets and Harden last year averaged 34.3 a game. That is the difference, Hakeem was at the tail end of his career and Harden is still in his prime. That is why it was easy to trade Hakeem. Patterson should of asked Hakeem to hang it up, I guess he is afraid to asked that question. Akeem gets into NBA fights, he wasn't matured until he got religion. Towards the end of his career, Hakeem was into money than playing legendary basketball. He was investing in real estate.

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Im just saying that may be part of it, not all of it. Don’t know if any owner’s political donations list was publicly released like Tillman’s. It Likely came down to trust and respect. A lot of folks here hate Tillman for various reasons mostly deeming him cheap and overbearing. I don’t know the guy but he seems disingenuous on first impression.

12. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I was just about to do this....so glad I checked first!

BamBam and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But he was faking it, it was a different NBA back then organizations had way more power - Hakeem went into Patterson's office asked for a new contract, was told, no, he had a contract, and Hakeem said "Then my leg hurts and I can't play" ...... Patterson had all conversations in his office taped at that time, so when the league investigated it, they heard the tape and the grievance disappated.

Hakeem then got on a plane to Japan for some preseason games, and Charlie Thomas sat down and said, let's work it out, and they did.

Hakeem or Akeem I believe at that time was a hot head and had not found his Islamic roots......

This is why I hold out hope that Harden can grow up too, though Hakeem was younger.

DD

14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't very nice in public at times as well. About the time, he got the H in his name, he mellowed a lot.

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  15. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never agree with DD on anything, but he's right here. This is what happened.

Some trade specuation I remember were

Glen Rice and Rony Seikaly
    Reggie Miller and Rik Smits

We were waiting pretty much every day to hear of a trade that never happened.

DaDakota and D-rock like this.
  16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I was frustrated with Hakeem at the time but Rony Seikely just wasn’t going to cut it as return.

Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I don’t recall Reggie and Rik being on the table - wonder what would have gone back the other way. Thought the Miami deal was actually close to happening. I remember dreading that.

this time around Miami has my preferred return

18. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Dream wanted to get paid his worth like the other elite centers. Owner Thomas and GM Patterson refused to negotiate. They suspended Dream for not playing. Dream eventually landed a contract and found happiness.

Harden is different. He already has his pay. Harden wants the easiest way to a championship.

#78 legacygt777, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    DaDakota likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why do you think he was faking it? I don't believe that.

It's still fundamentally different. Hakeem was unhappy with his contract. Harden just doesn't want to be here. You can't fix the later.

Ramo$e likes this.
  20. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Sure...but Harden didnt punch any convenience store clerks as far as I know

BamBam likes this.