1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You say "Forza will be able to do 4k, 60fps with ray tracing," but what *kind* of ray tracing? Reflections? Maybe even reflections of reflections? :p Perfect shadows? Global Illumination? Maybe even sound too?

Unless it does perfect ray tracing at 4K, 60 FPS (which would kinda imply we have no need to improve graphics...and can somehow outdo CGI in real-time), then you have a trade-off with 4K and ray tracing effects. Reducing to 1440p (or maybe using image reconstruction and/or dynamic resolution scaling) would result in better ray tracing, no?

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

MS (Turn 10) is not going to reduce to 1440p. Period. Forza is a 1st party game. Plus, we not going to know the Full fidelity capabilities for a while. So speculation is pointless.

Games in 2021 will not look or perform as well as games in 2022, and so on...

We will just have to wait and see.

3. RC Cola

My mistake with the wording, but I'm not literally suggesting Forza will target a lower resolution. You're taking this all too literally I think, which is maybe my mistake. You keep mentioning XSX/PS5 specs, specific games, optimizations consoles can make over PC GPUs, we need to wait and see, etc., which is all good, but honestly it has nothing to do with what I'm trying to discuss with you.

Suppose Hypothetical Game A could output one of two modes: 1) 4k/60FPS with limited/no ray tracing (maybe shadows only), or 2) 1440p/60 FPS with more ray tracing (let's say reflections, shadows, and even global illumination). Which is better in your opinion? It doesn't matter if this is coming out on XSX or PS5, or if it is coming out in 2021 or 2025. There is no magical 4K/60 FPS full ray tracing option unfortunately.

It is true that at one point, I was just trying to see if you felt some XSX games might be better suited for 1440p (and thus, XSS might be better at targeting say 1080p, which is perfectly fine IMO), but now honestly, I'm just trying to make the point that 1440p (on whatever hardware) with more ray tracing effects is IMO better than 4K with limited/no ray tracing (OK Forza will have both, but let's just ignore that for now :p).

This might be my last post on the matter as I think we're just talking past one another, and everyone else just wants to see those updates on new Xbox and PlayStation inventory instead of silly hypothetical discussions. :D

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hypotheticals and my preference is irrelevant. It what the developers can feel they achieve. I don’t really care, as I have yet to buy a 4K TV yet. Im playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider in its 1080p 60fps mode and it looks great to me. I think Ray Tracing is hype at the moment anyway.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Ziggy
    People wouldn’t be so angry about consoles if they had OLED
    Cause OLED makes everything look good

Ziggy and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  6. RC Cola

The thing we've all been waiting for...

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If the Republicans and Democrats just sat down together and watched Mandalorian on OLED with Atmos we'd all have lambos.

tinman likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t matter what game console you have
    It will look like dirt without a beautiful display like OLED

10. showa13

showa13 Member

so anyone else struggling to get a PS5/XSX?

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Agreed. Upgraded my TV to a LGCX just in time for my Series X upgrade. Now I actually enjoy playing on console vs my gaming PC.

tinman likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nope, me and @Rodman23 balls deep.

KingCheetah, Rodman23 and tinman like this.
  13. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

So many that I’m using one of them just to even out one the dining room tables’ legs.

lol I’m kidding of course

mikol13 likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Better that than spoiled kids getting them.

dmoneybangbang and Rodman23 like this.
  15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

His house is ballin now. Dude came up.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

My table is a little wobbly as well. Can ya boy get one to eat on a leveled surface?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Put some time into both Spiderman & Ghosts of Tshushima and now I don't know which to dedicate more time to. Ghosts seems to be the superior game, but maybe not by much, meanwhile Spiderman just looks (and sounds) amazing. Crap.

RedRedemption and tinman like this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nothing breaks faster than Nintendo Switch controllers.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Can't hook up the PC to TV due to spacing issues or what's the problem?