1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Nov 18, 2020.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There seems to be so many guys that go undrafted or late picks that turn out to be really great players. Not that it is happening left and right but man the G-league and even just basketball growing around the world has helped a lot.

Before, guys just didn't get three to four looks. Wood played on 4 teams and has been around the league this whole time. Before the Gleague if he was cut he goes into the basketball void most likely but thanks to the gleague he was able to play his way back up and just stay around the NBA long enough to get another shot and make the most of it.

2. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I came up with a really creative rhyme that I'm sure no one has thought of yet... check this out... Wood is GOOD!!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I tend to agree, but ... damn :

4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

What is even better news for us is he has 3 years to go for us at a really good rate.

5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Damn, came I did.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

No I won't calm down. 14/15 of those games he was running with Derrick Rose as the best creator on the team. The last one with Harden was in 23 minutes. His advanced stats are even more impressive than has counting stats. Efficiency, plus minus, contribute to winning. This is why you look at advanced metrics because they told you even on a terrible team they were doing much much better when Wood was on the floor. So when other teams were wondering if he's just putting up big numbers on a bad team the numbers said he was contributing to winning.

Even tonight what impressed me the most didn't show up in the box score, he was a great rim protector and he was there on every drive even though it only resulted in only 1 block. Defense was supposed to be his weakness and even there he did great. No I will not calm down you calm down.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thanks, crusader.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I loved how he let the game come to him mostly.

That was the most smoothest and easy looked 20-10 game.

He didn’t force nothing he didn’t try to do to much just let the game come to him picked his spots and that was it I love it. I hope to see him get some post touches as well.

And when he drives to the paint from the top of the key that is a thing of beauty.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Honestly, I just liked the fact that he didn't need Harden on the court and wasn't waiting for Harden to create stuff for him. He looked confident and took the shot when he was open. Whoever plays with Harden has to be confident enough to think that taking the shot is better than passing the ball back to Harden. You get sucked into giving the ball to Harden and becoming a spectator.

That being said, Wood's numbers pretty much scales with minutes without losing efficiency which a pretty good indicator of star potential. What makes Harden a top player in the league is that his efficiency does not dip even with historical usage rates. Harden is a one man team and need no other player to make him better. He just needs players that can hold their own when he's trapped at half court.

RustyHarden, D-rock, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  11. ballgame

ballgame Member

C. Wood Baby!!

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

And to think there were quite a few CFers pleading for Stone to sign Aaron Baynes. o_O

RudyTBag, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So he’s basically Capela with a 3pt shot, better hands, and can put the ball on the floor and create offense.

Ok so he’s much better than Capela lol.

What’s a comp ceiling for Wood? I remember people on this board comparing Capela to Hakeem....

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

2nd year AD. 20 years old and skinny. Minus the blocks and overall defensive impact, but better 3s. I dont think he will have an unlimited ceiling to keep getting better like AD considering not much age difference and Wood just getting started. I think he can be a consistent 20 and 10 player for many years to come. So if 20 year old AD just stayed consistently at that level and dropped D for more 3s.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be fair one of the few 1st rounders that hit a homerun in recent years.

Homegrown and oversea talent at that.

Now we know undrafted guys could become stars if they have the work ethic and skills playing in the right environment.

Caesar likes this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That's a damn good run of games. He looked flawless in his debut with us. What an acquisition for us!

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's getting to the point they may have to bring back those extra rounds to the NBA draft. :D

TEXNIFICENT, D-rock and JayGoogle like this.
  19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

20. CertifiedTroll

Wayne Gretzky is his floor