1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] PJ and Rockets still talking extension. No deal close.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Dec 18, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Every single move has gone right so far after the myriad of awful things happening. This is all post Stone.

The Right Coach. The right mix of assistants including his mentor John Lucas and a future star in Will Weaver.

The Right Side kick in Wood

A sneaky great pick up in Tate

Kentucky Wildcat Reunion feel good story. They both look healthy! That's the key!

Everything is going right except for Harden.

Hopefully he sees that.

If he has any fear of Boogie and Wall staying healthy. He got a test run last night in what the team would look like without them. Think about that!

Deuce, cbs1507, joshuaao and 9 others like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

and that’s why I think he could be available. He’s not a max guy. He’s a role player, but a good one that will probably get $15 million a year. Good fit next to Harden.

If we offer House and a pick or 2, I think we can get him. And I’ll be ok if we have to trade Eric Gordon next year in order to pay OG. I’ve never expected Tillman to pay huge taxes...just not try to duck it at every turn.

RudyTBag, D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  3. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

I love PJ, but this whining is dumb. NO TEAM EXTENDS A 35 YR OLD PERIMETER DEFENDER. If we didn't want him, we would have traded him. This is such a weird thing that PJ is complaining about. You'll be a FA and get paid in the summer like every other player. Only franchise guys get extended.

ClutchFam, kjayp, clos4life and 5 others like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hard to disagree with this

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's worried about getting injured and never getting paid again .

I get it. He can use his relationship with James as leverage.

James gets to help his friend and he basically got to embarrass Morey with the Simmons leaks coming out.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tilman, pay the man so he can buy some shoes! Make it creative so that we're not on the hook for 3 full years.

Then as he's signing that contract, hand him a phone and have him call his buddy Harden and tell him how the team took care of him.

bawanyh, RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

that is my hope. We have had an amazing offseason. Every move has been calculated and perfect for this situation.

my hope is it all ends up in Harden staying. If we get him to sign that extension, build the Stone statue.

joshuaao, RudyTBag, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  8. onreego

onreego Member

So Wood had a good showing and they're trying to get in Tucker's good graces. It probably is a strategy to get James to change his mind or go where the team gets the best offer regardless of what he wants.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. riko

riko Member

If Tucker staying strong chance harden stays

rfrocket, clos4life, Nook and 3 others like this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree that a lot has gone right, but the willingness of TF to make more moves that may cost him? I have very little confidence in that.

I think this team as is, is still missing a very important piece for a legit title run. What that is exactly, I’m not so sure yet.

11. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I believe Stone is playing this perfectly.
    A) Harden commits to be here, PJ has his extension.

B) Rockets are still trying to find opportunities to trade Harden, and such package might come with at least 2 bigs. In this case, PJ is the contract to provide flexibility through SnT or even adding value to one huge 3 team trade.

Good.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Who is OG?

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there's any reason to extend him unless it buys an extension from Harden.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It can't cost him more!

That's the beauty.

The team is hard capped so adding money isn't a factor.

D-rock likes this.
  15. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

OG Anunoby

D-rock likes this.
  16. yaopao

That's EVERY old player. PJ is at that age where he's a 1-yr deal every yr from this point on. Dude wants like 3 yrs or something?

ClutchFam likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Trade Harden to Philly. Sign and trade Tucker to Philly or somewhere else. Involve other teams and get back Simmons, Thybulle, and 3 FRP plus maybe another pick or young player for Tucker. I'm sure Philly would love to dump Tobias Harris somewhere.

kjayp likes this.
  18. yaopao

I'd agree if PJ were a rapper who Harden lusts after.

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

P.J. Tucker has earned a 1-2 year extension with his play for the Rockets, regardless of age, and such a contract wouldn’t be that hard to move to a contender if Harden still wants out. Tucker also deserves to have his last year of his current contract guaranteed.

Finally, Tucker and Harden are close, and if giving Tucker a short-term extension convinces Harden to stay in Houston and give this team and Stephen Silas a chance, it’s worth it. That said, if Harden won’t commit to staying, it’s better that the Rockets work on finding a new team for Tucker than extending him.

#39 DVauthrin, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    joshuaao, kjayp, RudyTBag and 4 others like this.
  20. yaopao

Name me a role player at PJ's age who signed a multi-year extension. Not re-signed in the off-season a la Haslem with Miami every year. I cannot thing of any role player in PJ's situation who complained as vociferously as PJ has. He's my favorite Rocket, but it's horrible business to give that to him at this juncture.

clos4life likes this.