1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The French Laundry got more than $2.4M in PPP funding

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Dec 16, 2020.

?

Was this fair?

1. Yes, the Governor of California likes it

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No, non Michilin Star Restaurants need help

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Non paying cheapskate members on the D&D don't go to restaurants where you tip

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't know the whole story on chowder, but I think he was hating on the fact there were many poor uninsured Texans.

I'd rather Texas support it's poor than not, but that doesn't affect me until they start rioting and barging into people's homes.

Cali aint perfect. It's a few years ahead in social issues because there's so many different people doing imperfect things.

Can't defend the CCP. ****'em.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and tinman like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are people who don't believe lots of Cali people have migrated their businesses and families to Texas, B.E. (Before Elon)

There's an In and Out burger in Katy.

@Ziggy

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you can make it big, make it in Cali. Then move to TX when you're sick of the people.

"Cheap Texas housing" might shrivel up in 10 yrs though. Maybe there will be flying cars by them.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

So my post was a compliment to Clutchfans being cultured, the comment stands. You are welcome.

I’m in California and a Clutchfans contributing member, (it’s a big world) but I don’t frequent Michelin star restaurants during a pandemic like the governor, or anytime for that matter. I have N/Naka and Roy Choi’s Kogi in my gang and homeless infested neighborhood with no parks.

Both of them are catering to the community right now by staying open and offering takeout specials and bento boxes for the normies and commoners like me and my high taxed family.

no homeowner

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

We’ll have cyber trucks everywhere

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Contributing members of Clutchfans have culture
    The freeloaders don’t

I stand by that statement

across110thstreet likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

You haven't heard of arguably the top restaurant in the world that happens to be in the USA and the state you live in? It is a well known place and is on many a bucket list. If you get a chance to go, you should as it is an amazing experience.

See....... I have supported the mask mandates and I have supported strategic lock downs.......... however, when you have people like Pelosi and Newsome pushing the need for a mask....... and then are caught NOT following the same mandates, it causes a HUGE problem as the decision makers aren't even following their own requirements. People are out of work, not seeing family and making sacrifices for the betterment of society because of COVID and then the jackass that is in charge of it in the largest state in country goes to a restaurant without a mask, in doors with a huge number of other people? **** that guy, he shouldn't be governor. We have better people than that in California to rule.

tinman, Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

9. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

All my PPP money went to employees and rent. I paid myself nothing. I do know those who used the PPP money legally to pay themselves, which is fine. They legally followed the rules, though the rules kept changing every few weeks. Before piling on though, I wonder what the pay breakdown is for these massive PPP loans that the newspapers are publishing on. That's private info, but that's the question the news should be asking. If you're getting a lump sum, is it 90% going to the employees, are are you giving them the minimum and paying yourself the maximum allowed?

tinman likes this.
  11. across110thstreet

that is correct, I had never heard of it until I saw it referenced several times here in D&D including this thread title. I have visited the Bay Area maybe two times in my entire life and Napa Valley precisely zero times but I guess I will put it on my list.

Haven’t visited any restaurant since my birthday dinner with family in February.

honestly not keeping track of Newsom or Pelosi, they seem to bother the Out of Staters more than actual Californians. Of course they are all hypocrites but it’s better that the State has shut down indoor dining completely versus other states that are allowing it.

what are their COVID protocols? Did they only allow in person dining as a private function for the elitists?

I have made a contribution to the tip jar in honor of this thread.

12. Major

Major Member

I don't think Newsom violated any of the state's legal requirements. Recommendations, yes - but no one is asked to wear masks while dining, and I believe the restaurant was open and following state requirements when Newsom visited. Pelosi may have been a different story.

The mayors that got in trouble recently - Austin, Denver - were for hypocrisy as well. They were doing things they were asking others not to do - but they were not mandates.

The Mississippi Governor, on the other hand, is violating the legal mandates he's put in place:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/09/reeves-mississippi-christmas-party-covid/

To me, the former is bad leadership and encourages people to not follow recommendations. The latter is simply criminal.

tinman and across110thstreet like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meanwhile in Texas 2 billion can't be accounted for at the Capital. Hmmmmm

14. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

There was an interim rule in the PPP that lenders cannot loan PPP loan to their own borrowers to avoid conflict of interest, but that rule was quickly dropped, and the bonanza began. At the point, the borrowers who already owed the bank gobs of money of course got preferential treatment. The more you owed, the quicker you got PPP money from the banks.

I’d be shocked if Keller’s restaurant empire isn’t highly levered.

Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Have you heard of Wolfgang Puck or Iron Chef Morimoto?

16. across110thstreet

I’ve heard of the first one you listed of the two, tinman but do not know which establishments he is connected to as I’m sure I haven’t eaten at any of them.

I’m assuming the second one is attached to the tv cooking show of the same name, I just don’t happen to watch shows about cooking.

here are my favorite local restaurants in Los Angeles that make all of the best of lists and most locals would know and appreciate

Kogi
    Honeys Kettle
    Versailles
    Umami Burger

N/Naka and Mozza are on my list but I haven’t tried them yet, and for the best slice of pizza in town I just go with Joe’s in Santa Monica as highly rated by the Barstool pizza rater guy

17. tinman

Supporting Member

You best believe Mozza is the bomb
    Little Sister downtown is great too