1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas Wrong Coach For This Mess

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 16, 2020.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I can't fathom a bus driver has more power than the superintendent.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

more reasons to hire lerbon. what a talent! he can do it all, simultaneously!

Sep11ie likes this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree that this has the possibility of being a “learn by fire” situation where he faces his greatest challenges right off the bat. Not ideal for a rookie, but we can look at the glass as half full. My greatest concern is that he loses the other players as he fails to coral Harden and Tucker into a new philosophy/system. The team needs to get rid of Harden asap in order to give Silas the best chance to succeed. Can’t believe I’m saying that about the second greatest player in Rockets history.

cerophilik likes this.
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

When the star player makes ten times more money than the coach, it’s not surprising when the player thinks THEY are the most important person on the team. The only way a coach can take charge and hold people accountable is if the players RESPECT the coach. There aren’t many coaches out there that Harden would respect.

It would be nice if the players would give Silas a chance to prove himself. It doesn’t appear Harden is interested in giving Silas much of a chance.

5. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Can you imagine how JVG would have handled this? I think Harden would have gone Kawhi route and faked an injury...

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Dude writing is on the Wall.

John Wall.

Silas is perfect rebuild coach.

James Harden to Miami, lets move on.

7. likestohypeguy

I think they're all handling it pretty well, don't rock the boat, stay the course, hope he gets back on track. I never don't do s*** unless you have to

napalm06 likes this.
  8. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Not a terrible GM either

9. pass_to_Hakeem

This is the first post I’ve seen saying Silas wasn’t the right coach now.. I think he’s doing great this far

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is dumb! You think if he goes to any other team besides a desperate one like the knicks or 76ers or maybe even charlotte is going to listen to/ constantly get walked all over by James Harden!? If he goes to brooklyn, kyrie and Durant will want his butt shipped out if Harden doesn't listen! If we're going to change the culture it starts here with Silas! He's our coach now whether Harden likes it or not. Harden's way got us to the Western Conference finals when he should have multiple rings now. I'm done listening to a grown man paid 41 mil b*tch that things aren"t going his way! Same with our old cheap a$$ owner. Get Harden the help he really needs and surround him with real stars so that everyone doesn't have to sit there and lick Harden's taint everyday!

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Official NBA games coached: Zero.

Give him a year before crowning him the king of **** mountain. I don't think the team is as bad as ESPN would have us believe. Don't believe the hype.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Silas seems legit. He seems like a very thoughtful coach and he put together a staff with diverse experience that is going to bring a fresh and adaptable approach to the game and open dialogue on how to get better unlike old school coaches like Rick The Ruler and JVG. There will be growing pains. At least watch a season and make your judgment on actual observation.

pippendagimp and RockFanFirst like this.
  13. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

when will Faried come back? This guy can get 20 points and 10 rebounds which is good backup for cousins and woods, if they get injury

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

3 games into the preseason and this clown already saying the coach is a bad fit...

Mkay.

bmelo and RockFanFirst like this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

There is no “right way” to coach through this. Consistent accountability with communication is a start. BUT some here forget that communication takes two parties to be effective. The less one talks the more control one possesses. Harden as a player should be subordinate to the coach. If Harden doesn’t know where, how or who to communicate with that is on the 10+ year veteran not the rookie coach that seems to lead everyone else with success. Harden and Tucker’s no show is on them and both look foolish, IMO. I hope a sizable return is in our future as we move out of the Harden era.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once a player is a superstar, there's no coach that can real them in.

It's really about personality. Kobe & MJ were so driven they didn't need a whole lot of coaching. But if you look at the history of the best players - they weren't held responsible by coaches or anyone else. They were held responsible by themselves and their desire to win.

This isn't about Silas at all. It's about Harden, and it's about how much talent we actually have.

fattz and csnerd84 like this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think he may be the right guy for the job. Sounds like a level headed, organized people guy who can be a buffer between the players and the Just Shut Up and Listen guy who doesn't understand it ain't the restaurant business.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Silas is the perfect coach for now, and more importantly after Beard is gone.
    He will be instrumental on building a culture that lasts a long time.

pippendagimp and csnerd84 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A good fit for rebuilding.

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

I will wait for regular season at least but Silas seems like GREAT coach. His offensive and defensive schemes are way upgrade from pringels makes you wonder what Harden&CP teams would do with someone competent on the sidelines

pippendagimp likes this.