1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Its already clear James and John cant play together...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Simmons/Wall doesn't work as neither can shoot. We need to try for Luka/Wall.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if Russell were here we could shoot for a ... Brick/Wall

tinman, DeBeards and J Sizzle like this.
  3. jb86

jb86 Member

Thats fine as long as we get the win. Give it time it will work out. The coach knows how to fix this problem.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@LorneMalvo

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i definitely don't think we can pass judgement before the season even starts, but i will anyway. why? because of logic.

I'm not saying it can't work, but i am saying that their styles of play do not make it obvious that it will work. Both players are ball dominate players. John Wall is a scorer who needs the ball in his hands. Harden needs the ball and has proven that he's not going to play off ball. That's a real problem. Yes Wall can shoot a little better than Russ, but it's the same problem. Ball dominant point guards who can't shoot are simply not a good fit next to Harden's game. I thought that would be obvious for folks after watching Russ last year.

So while i think we should give it a chance, and i'm certainly rooting for Wall, it's obvious that Chris Paul was a much better back court fit and it truly is hard to see how this pairing makes sense. I think it's clear that it was a desperation move because the Russ Harden relationship was deteriorating and the LA series was so humiliating, and the market for Russ was poor.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The pairing will be slightly better than the WB and Harden pairing. But it’s not going to be even close to CP & Harden. If you can’t shoot at even an average level and move off the ball it’s a bad pairing for Harden.

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

James will never turn into a Steph or Klay when it comes to off-ball movement, even with Silas as the coach.

Harden has been doing the iso thing for years, even before Dantoni showed up.

Also in case people forgot, he wants a trade out of here because he didn't get the coach he wanted that would give him free reign.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

premature persuasion. one game? LOL

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

I feel like he has all the tools from individual workouts but as of now adjusts to nba defenses. I bet he made all those pull ups in the training but in the game they seem out of rhythm and defenders easily read them. With his speed and handle it's just a matter of time before he gets it down he just gotta keep at it

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I think he gives you about 80% of what Paul gives you and 80% of what Westbrook gives you but in a good way. His ability to attack the rim and get out in transition is similar to Westbrook while his ability to find the open shooter/cutter is similar to Paul. Not to mention one of Paul's best skills is putting the ball right in the shooter's "sweet spot" so it hits them in rhythm and they can fire up a shot. This is not only ideal when they are open but also when they are coming off a screen like when Green or Bmac have had plays run for them and they are able to catch in the perfect spot and rise up for a three. Wall is similar to Paul in this regard. Remember how impressed we all were with Paul's ability to put it right on the shooter like Gordon/Anderson/Tucker/Ariza. I really hope Wall can continue to do this closer to Paul than Westbrook because Westbrook will throw the ball at people's ankles, to their left or right, at their head, in the crowd, etc. which is difficult to get a clean shot in rhythm when that happens. :)

ronclone, So Saith Red and Denovo like this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Harden needs to round into shape and Wall has some rust to knock off still.

Wall so far seems like a better fit next to Harden than WB just because he isn't nearly as much of a chucker and is better at zinging passes to teammates, plus he's a noticeably better 3pt shooter, especially catch and shoot wise.

bballjunkie and linvetb6 like this.
  12. HardenVolumeOne

luka had Dennis smith jr shipped out and he is a similar type of player to walk. Luka and harden both only feel comfortable with the ball in their hands and shooters surrounding them

13. icewill36

icewill36 Member

yall are delusional. wall is not a volume shooter. they will let him shoot because the more he shoots the less efficient he is going to be. that isnt his game. he isnt even used to shooting lots of threes. the would still take the ball out of james hand and live with the results. there is no way in hell wall makes enough threes in a 7 game series to beat an elite team. he has never been that and isnt going to start at 30 yrs old.

he is only shooting 33% through 3 games.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The morey and MDA offense now we are playing the Silas offense and it’s very stylish

D-rock likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

what was westbricks? oh that's right in the 20's. still on that hill dying begging for life

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think this situation is different from James/Russ because you can offset some of Wall's shooting with him passing to Wood and Cousins who can finish in the paint and shoot from outside in pick n pop situations. We have never had that element on the floor with James. I see the focus keeps being on James and John, but I think we have to go a little beyond that now since we have two bigs that can produce. I need to see Wood on the floor with these guys for a few games before I pass any judgements. We are not playing with our full squad right now, so we can't really see all of the options that will be available to us. If Wood plays Thur, we can get a better idea of what things will look like.... I think they will be a lot different!

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So we tre just gonna forget that all of this was said about CP3 as well.

CP3 was a better shooter but Wall is a better finisher and can run a 1 man fast break.

Wall is a much better shooter than Russ and he is a better playmaker and defender.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Since when can Wall not shoot at an average level?

Denovo likes this.
  19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

32% from 3 for his career

20. Denovo

Denovo Member

38% on Catch and Shoot

vlaurelio and D-rock like this.