1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What changes will we see from Harden in the Silas era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 5, 2020.

?

We will see

1. Post ups

10 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. mid range jumpers

57 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. less ISO

52 vote(s)
    43.7%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Teams will definitely shade and double you off ball more if they know your scouting report of never resisting and walking everywhere.

Steph Curry is a more dangerous scorer. If he isn't getting constantly doubled as soon as he crosses the half court especially given his status as "the greatest shooter of all time", then that should tell you something about Harden.

Harden makes it easy to double him. Not only by walking around and standing. But by also often dribbling right into double teams or standing around with the ball for 10-14 seconds waiting to get doubled.

So Saith Red and Ramo$e like this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I'm not just talking about the last 30 seconds. The 3pt shot is a high variance shot, over the course of a 7 game series, 1 game, 1 half or even 1 quarter, Harden has to be able to have versatility and adjust if he's not hitting the 3pt shot. Opposing defenses know that he restricts himself to shot attempts from 2 areas of the floor, which makes him easier to guard, in my opinion. It's a delicate balance.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Steph Curry is a great shooter no doubt. He's not great at getting his own shot though. Nobody doubles him when he crosses mid-court because they don't have to. If you'd have double teamed him and left Thompson or Durant open then they'd kill you.Not sure how the fact that Curry doesn't get doubled says anything about Harden. Maybe that Harden can't be stopped by one guy but Curry can be?

Not sure what your definition of "dangerous" may be but Harden is a better scorer than Curry. When teams gear up for Curry, he gets taken out of games. Just look at his finals performances.

As I said, if a team wants to double you then can. Nobody is getting free from two guys on a consistent basis. Curry can run around all the screens that you like but you're not going to shake two guys at the same time. Sure you can pick off one, but the other guy will still be on him. Then the first guy recovers and he's doubled again. Show me evidence of anyone consistently freeing themselves from a double team like Harden sees. You won't be able to because it hasn't happened.

Harden isn't going to be able to hide or evade two defenders if teams are going to double him full time. Harden's smart enough to know that.

jch1911, HP3 and Ramo$e like this.
  4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

So much for 7 seconds or less scoring.

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I miss the euros & tomahawks

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The 30 second comment wasn't a reply to you. It was for another poster.

Harden does have versatility and he doesn't just shoot from just two places on the court. True, he doesn't shoot midrange but he attacks from different areas and different distances. He's also got multiple ways to create space for shots. Even if he begins two moves at the same location, they can each end in very different places. He's great at creating space. He can do it pretty much any time he likes. That's why teams have to double him.

If a team is doubling Harden as soon as he crosses midcourt, then he's still going to be doubled in the midrange area. It's not like they are single teaming him anywhere.

Midrange is an inefficient shot. Additionally, Harden isn't very good at it. How is that going to help anything? I'm sure our opponents would welcome Harden taking all the midrange that he likes.

jch1911 likes this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Operating in the midrange area has certain advantages. For one, it's easier to pass out of the double team to someone in scoring position from the post/midrange area than half court. If people are doubling him all game at the catch, I'd rather he catch the ball closer to the rim than just wait for the double at half court.

As far as when he should actually shoot the midrange, I'm not advocating him to shoot "x" amount of midrange jumpers per game. If his 3pt shot is falling, then great, he shouldn't shoot any. But, if he's like 1-10 from 3pt then what's the harm in stepping in a bit and taking a few easier, higher percentage shots just to catch his rhythm? If teams overplay him at the 3pt line (they did more so in the 2019 playoffs than 2020), him showing a willingness to shoot in the midrange area may make the defense more honest, which then opens up the 3pt line more.

It's about balance and versatility. Should he shoot 4 midrange shots per game no matter what? No, of course not. But sometimes it's okay to take it.

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Wanted to bump this now that the rockets added Wall and Cousins. And With the Addition of Christian Wood, can you see harden becoming more of a spot up shooter and letting wall dribble the ball?

Letting Wall lead the team, and getting James to buy in to being a spot up shooter. Like a Ray Allen type of game.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hope to see more POST UP

Rocket River

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So we have Fire and Ice
    Wall - Excellent 0-60 Speed
    Harden - Excellent 60-0 Speed

Rocket River

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sooner or later a change of uniform

12. Asian Sensation

I freaking wished he’d play that way but he wasn’t that even when we had CP3. What makes you think he’s gonna be that now? Especially when he doesn’t even want to be here?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I seen Harden's scoring dip a little but his assist numbers go up because of more movement away from the ball. But really I don't want anything to change about Harden's game. I just want Wall and Cousins to be better than Westrook and CP3 were when Harden is trapped at mid court. They need to be able to abuse a 4 on 3.5 in the half court. Imagine what would happen if Dream with Horry, Smith, Elie would do to a team if they only 3 defenders on them.

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I doubt Harden changes anything. His heart is not here already. Being a hooper as he is, he will play and play hard I’m sure. But he ain’t gonna change nothing about his game, esp not for a rookie coach whom he doesn’t endorse or trust anyway.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Less iso from harden and hopefully less mins from PJ

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'll be damned, I thought what the whole team would change.

17. riko

riko Member

So you want one of the greatest offensive players of all time to become a spot up shooter? It’s like asking Kobe or Wade go stand in the corner so an inferior player can Handel the ball.Do you you know how crazy that sounds?

18. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

I just hope everyone else taking their roles seriously will influence harden to buy in to the team as well

19. riko

riko Member

Yep I see more passing to Woods and cousins with more off the ball baseline cuts. Bit more variation hands off on top of the key. Probably will average 30 points and 9 to the 10 assists range

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

There will be no changes. Harden will do exactly what he’s always done. We will see the return of the pick and roll. But, we will continue to see Harden handle the ball and lots of iso. In Hardens mind, you don’t change the one part that works perfectly.