1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many NBA execs, scouts think Harden stays in Houston for season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CCity Zero, Dec 15, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Not sure if shared, but the quotes were decent.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...outs-think-harden-stays-in-houston-for-season

"While it’s clear Harden would like to be traded, making a move is far easier said than done, at least in the eyes of rival scouts and executives. Harden’s large contract — and interest in extending that contract with only a handful of teams — makes it difficult to match salaries, especially if the Rockets maintain their demands for a package of potential young stars and a boatload of future first-round picks.

Those factors together led most to say that despite current appearances, Harden won’t be on the move anytime soon.

“Who f—ing knows, man,” an East exec said with a laugh. “I don’t think he gets traded unless other teams get involved and there becomes a bidding war of sorts. Otherwise I think they just hold pat. They’re not going to trade him for crap
    .” "

Sounds good. And if shared already, sorry for that, I just liked the execs finally stating the obvious.

gatsby, txppratt, Cdub37 and 18 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS is the caveat:

If Houston looks poised to contend in the Western Conference, that might push Rockets GM Rafael Stone to table any huge moves until after this season. On the other hand, if the Rockets are struggling — or, perhaps, if a slow start by another team prompts its GM to boost its trade offer for Harden — that could potentially bump up the timetable.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Great catch on adding that, I probably should have put that in there, I'm glad it at least makes more sense though and echoes what a lot have been saying.

D-rock likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Man, this has nothing to do with anything....but I miss Daryl. This is such garbage man, I hate how everything has turned out.

Paul George just had to ask out of OKC man.

Nook, ksny15, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  5. Miragedassault

Nor should the Rockets trade arguably one of a half dozen best scorers to ever lace it up for the heck of it.

Dacamel, D-rock and CCity Zero like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It is just unprecedented in NBA history that a team trades a disgruntled mega star while he has TWO years left in his contract. One year, sure but not two year while the player is entering the end of their prime.

D-rock, Kevooooo, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  7. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

It makes sense to wait. I'm glad the Rox have the nuts and patience to do so. If Harden really wants out, he'll open up his trade destinations. No need to rush anything. Lace them up.

hakeem94, Dacamel, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

“while the player is entering the end of their prime.” Yeah, that. Yeah, that - - is reason #1A I can readily accept a (good) trade.

9. FatSeagal

FatSeagal Member

This is just the reality of the "player empowerment era" we are in. Big name stars are going to sign huge 'bird rights' deals with small market teams that draft them and then demand to go to LA or NY. On the flip side the Knicks might be good for once.

HP3, Nook and Wooderson like this.
  10. smp

smp Member

Don’t you remember how the players and NBA in general hated Daryl? Remember how he only treats people like they are “assets”? Remember how he was always training players over and over and many players didn’t want to be treated that way?

I do. And I’m fine with Daryl being out of here. He had his chance. He made some good trades. He made a lot of bad ones too though.

J_Hunter_1977, Dacamel and ak99999 like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Small sample size but Stone has done well. He is part of the Morey GM tree so we may have a diamond in the rough.

Dacamel likes this.
  12. SmallBallDoesntWork

Its pretty funny how KD, one of the all time greats decided to go to the Nets instead of the Knicks. I still think Houston could be a destination for players, obviously not to the extent of NY or LA, however we did get this far with James.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not really. Stone was actually here before Morey but I'm sure he learned a ton from him.

Dacamel likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The only unknown will be how Harden handles it all. Will he be a nuisance and cancer? Will he remain professionally irritated? His attitude will dictate the compensation and timing in a trade.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They sure know how to be secretive.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

While it’s clear Harden would like to be traded, making a move is far easier said than done, at least in the eyes of rival scouts and executives. Harden’s large contract — and interest in extending that contract with only a handful of teams — makes it difficult to match salaries​

Nobody cares about Harden's willingness to extend his contract with 2 plus a player option left on his deal when he'll be in mid-30's, I don't get what lame GM is putting that out there. Honestly it's probably just Daryl playing a joke on the Rockets.

But if there is a GM who's more concerned about whether or not he'll be allowed to paying Harden 50 million dollars in his age 35-37 seasons than about the next 2-3, I'd love th Rockets to strike a deal with that guy. Though I do think Harden's game will age more like Chris Paul's than Russel Westbrook's.

HP3, banzai and justtxyank like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Most likely "contender" to get off to a slow start: Clippers. They're already dysfunctional AF, personnel-wise, and have a new coach and a new system.

18. riko

riko Member

The only viable asset they would have would be playoffs Poo so no thanks

Dacamel likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

On the contrary, if they get off to a stumble this year, Kawhi might be offered. He can become a free agent next year and might not want to return (he's got a player option).

Where the Clips would falter is in offering draft picks, since they sent so many to OKC in the PG deal. They'd have to get another team involved.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. riko

riko Member

No I highly doubt that . That is as close as to impossible as it gets. He is probably one of the most untouchable players in the league.