1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] John Wall: the rehabbed new Rocket. “I don’t feel as fast. I feel faster.”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 9, 2020.

1. amaru

amaru Member

Or athletic burst

saleem likes this.
  2. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

well didn’t cousins technically already come back from the Achilles injury?

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Wall looked slower than he was in his prime, but he still look like a very good passer and playmaker.

Unfortunately we wont really see how well or poorly his game will fit with Harden out.

Harden playing changes everything in the offense. Wall will be playing off ball a significant amount of time - something he's never done in his career.

FYI - Wall along with Harden are the most ball dominant guards in the league. In 2016-17 they led the league with over 9.2 seconds per touch. The only other player over 9 second? Russell Westbrook at 9.2. Fourth on the list and more than a second less than the 3 leaders was Kemba at 8.2. For reference Lebron and Curry were way down the list at 6.4 secs and 5.3 secs per touch. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches/?sort=TIME_OF_POSS&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season

In 2017-18 the same trio led the league in avg time of possession. Hardens slightly reduced his time per touches to 8.9 second with the arrival of CP3. Walls injuries limiting him to 41 games + Beals emergence reduced his ball time to 8.5. WB led the league at 9.1.

In 18-19 Harden once again led the league at 9.3. noone else was at 8. John wall was 2nd (in 32 games) at 7.8 Thrid was Lillard and Westbrook at 7.7.

Last season Harden teamed up with Westbrook. Harden's time dropped slightly to 4th at 8.8. Westbrook time with the ball drop significantly to only 5.8 seconds per touch.

Chris paul's adjustment to playing with Harden was far less dramatic than WB. He went from 7.6 sec of ball time to 6.8 secs of ball time. His overall numbers of touches drop from 86 to 71. (WB touches went from 91 to 76.)

It will be interesting to see how Wall will handle having less touches and less time on the ball. He isn't the shooter CP3 is and his numbers indicates he's as ball dominant (if not more) than prime WB.

#83 blahblehblah, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    D-rock, Jontro, ak99999 and 1 other person like this.
  4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Doesn't look faster but certainly looks just as fast.

saleem likes this.
  5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Definitely not as fast but I'm glad he's confident

Honestly it's good, like the ugly girl that has to have a good personality, now he has to work on shooting/passing/defense which is what will help us as a complimentary player to harden. His best asset is that he has passion on the defensive end, like legit passion, I think that will be a big part of what makes him work with JH.

BigggReddd, D-rock and saleem like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I’m just glad Wall is quick enough and that he can pass the ball. He isn’t a shooter, but he can catch/ shoot it. Jerian needs to step up to the plate as his backup.

D-rock likes this.
  7. JD88

JD88 Member

Oh man, he looks smooth.

Let him get into a rhythm to hit a stop and pop, and it's butter.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

John Wall is singlehandedly advancing modern medicine.

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

After looking over the highlights yeah, his first step isn't what it once was but in the open court I'd argue he's still as fast at his top speed. Thankfully his bball IQ looks Mensa level after watching a full season of bonehead Westbrook basketball.

He doesn't look like he's holding anything back out there though, something that couldn't be said of his late Wizards years. He truly does look pain free out there

palmsnbananas likes this.
  10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

So Wall will sit out back-to-back games I assume. Looks like Westbrook will do the same for the Wizards.

Maybe Harden is looking for more reliable stars to be paired with that will be there in the playoffs and not injured/worned down? CP3 got hurt in the playoffs, Westbrook got hurt before the playoffs, still remains to be seen on Wall and Cousins but heavy money on them not being able to make it for the long haul like Harden.

Anyways, here is the article.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/1...l-westbrook-during-back-to-backs-this-season/

The plan had been to sit John Wall during back-to-backs this season, trying to preserve the legs of the aging superstar with an injury history. Then the Wizards traded Wall

For Russell Westbrook, an aging superstar with an injury history (although he has played more than Wall in recent years. That means the plan to sit their star in half of every back-to-back remains in place, something coach Scott Brooks said pregame, reports NBC Sports Washington’s Chase Hughes.

This is often what Mike D’Antoni did in Houston with Westbrook.

Westbrook has proven fairly durable throughout his career, but he has had five surgeries on his right knee, and there are a lot of miles on his 32-year-old body. It’s the smart play by Washington to take it easy on Westbrook this season and preserve him.

Both Westbrook and Bradley Beal sat out the Washington preseason opener against Brooklyn on Sunday.

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This might make sense but then you think about the stars at his two preferred destinations being Kevin Durant coming off a ruptured achilles, Kyrie Irving, and Embiid (I'm assuming we get Simmons in a Sixers trade).

None of those are exactly mid to late 20's Lebron indestructible or remotely close to it.

Patience and jakedasnake like this.
  12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I thought that too but Durant to me is not as much of an injury risk IMO although he is coming back from an achilles too. Just seems like he will be fine although he has had foot injuries as well in the past so something might creep up on him. As to Irving and Embiid, they would both scare me off a little if I am Harden so who knows what his though process is right now. It is really starting to seem like he wants out strictly due to the front office and not due to the Rockets roster.

13. Rudy

Rudy Member

Does Wall at least look faster than Russ?

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

as long as he's better than Russ, that's all we asking for.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. DLT

DLT Member

I watched this the other day. This is actually smart of Shams to have a podcast where he talks directly to players. I'm sure that it will help him even more to break stories and have players as sources

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I didn’t see anything in preseason to believe Wall isn’t 100%

This will be the most talented team Harden has played on in Houston.

jayydela likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Honestly 8 and 9 seconds feels too long for anyone to have the ball. At that point you're only benefitting the defense.

I think the reason CP and other high assists-per-usage PGs are in the 5-6 second range is because they play a cerebral game to make plays happen and push the defense. Thats what we saw from Paul here in 2018. Hardens game is more brute force, which is why for years we've watched terrible clutch time forced pass plays. If Wall is up there thats a bad sign. Will be interesting to watch.