1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/rockets-bruno-caboclo-scores-team-high-17-points/

I think this guy was the surprise of the game. Wall and Cousins being good isn't really news as much fun as it was to seem them clicking. Caboclo's year away from year away from bit, all that potential starting to look like production. Want to see him continue to lock down a spot behind Tucker, looks like they gave Tate the nod to start I can't imagine Caboclo didn't earn tomorrow's (tomorrow right?) starting gig with his play.

I'll give grains of salt to the preseason and Bull's defense but he showed out against the circumstance provided. I think this was just the next step in his development, I hope it continues towards playing time this year. Frankly, it would be a huge boost to the team if he solidified that backup spot. The rotation can't possibly shrink to 8 or less again, too many guys with talent now. Caboclo keeps playing like this, Nwaba really looked like a solid rotation level player. Gerald Green whenever you need to throw in 15 points real quick. Cousins will be a backup, McLemore, House... did this team really have a depth problem last season???

bilaal14, DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm excited about Caboclo, but let's just see how he develops over the next couple weeks before we start slotting him into anything. That being said, he looked good out there, great shooting, nice weak side defense, decent on the post, just got overpowered on the post and doesn't have quite the quickness on the perimeter, but still good.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Are they extending the roster spots because of the COVID-19 crisis...

4. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Bruno is more of a five in this system and Tate a four, so I don’t see them competing for minutes.

saleem likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm giddy that Bruno is showing up, just keep giving him minutes Silas!

crenshaw and BigShasta like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Too nice on the court... he needs a nasty streak and some toughness.

saleem, Hakeemtheking and jakedasnake like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Harden will make him a rich man. Jumper looks legit and he’s athletic.

8. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

He was making 3s.. but couldn’t really finish around the rim. Not super impressed, but he could be good defensively.

ktbballplaya likes this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I really hope Stephen Silas can teach him how to play defense moving laterally getting defections, steals and getting block shots.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

You must not watch Bruno play.

Bruno is and has always been a disruptor.

Blocking shots, affecting shots, deflections, steals are a strength of Bruno's.

Switch ability, defensive recovery, rim protection, closeouts are other areas Bruno excels.

It's his muscle mass to defend the post, energy/fire and basketball IQ are what he needs to improve.

rockets1995 likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

His 3-ball was there with Memphis back in 2018'ish, then he went back to sucking again, I guess. lol. Everybody said we gave up on him too early and MOREH U SUK! but his spark lasted a few games and like I said, he was relegated to nothing again. No idea. I know it's the pre-season and the time to get excited about slaughtering scrubs and bad teams, but I'm holding out on this guy until he consistently proves something during the season.

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Give him minutes and he will prove everyone wrong.

Last night, Bruno led the Rockets in scoring (including hitting the most 3's - he was 5 of 8), led Rockets in rebounds, led Rockets in blocks, led Rockets in 3P% at 62%.

fattz, FrontRunner and Dankstronaut like this.
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Id like Bruno to get 15-20 min a game. We can add minutes or remove him from rotation as we get closer to deadline.

14. j@amc

j@amc Member

I liked Caboclo's confidence. I think he'll need to show more consistency if he's going to have a larger role. Let's see what he does with the time he gets on Sunday before we pencil him into the rotation.

Then after that, once teams are putting him in the scouting report, let's see what he offers.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I didn't confirm his statue in the hall of fame man. I said this was a good showing against the circumstance provided...if he can wreck a bad team, can he be productive against a good one? I do think I'm fairly representing the situation that if he continues to play like this he will be playing regular minutes this year. That's why I titled the thread...arrived? I think he has.

I guess he needs to do some steroids, elbow people and block 6 shots instead of 3 to be impressive to some of you though. Shrug.

D-rock likes this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't extremely impressed with what I saw. Bruno has been in the league how long? And is still raw?

topfive likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I always wondered why he fell out of favor in Memphis. The following is a pretty good article from earlier this year. Excerpt from the article below :

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/05/23/bruno-caboclo-still-seeks-stardom-six-years-after-draft

“They welcomed me from the first day. Marc Gasol was there, he treated me very well before he was traded,” Caboclo said. “The coaches were amazing and always supported players with everything we needed. Memphis was a great place for me.”

The high point was Caboclo pouring in a career-best 24 points and securing 11 rebounds in a late March win against the Thunder, his favorite team as a teenager because of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden. Two days later, Caboclo recorded 17 points and 13 rebounds against the Warriors, even blowing past Durant for a dunk.

It seemed Caboclo, who was labeled by some as the “Brazilian Kevin Durant” as a prospect, finally had begun to realize his potential. He even kept the momentum going at the FIBA World Cup last summer, coming up with the game-winning block to help Brazil defeat Greece, 79-78, while holding reigning NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo to 13 points.

Alas, the Grizzlies initiated a wholesale rebuild after the season, replacing coach J.B. Bickerstaff with Taylor Jenkins and handing the front-office keys to Zach Kleiman. The new regime went about installing a scheme favoring faster, athletic players. Caboclo, who’d always played small forward or power forward, would now be getting his minutes at center.

Every player must prove themselves to a new coaching staff, but Caboclo had an especially tough task in adapting to a new position he’d never played before. Even though he helped Memphis win the Vegas Summer League championship, he couldn’t find his shooting touch at the outset of the season, couldn’t beat out the likes of Jonas Valancuinas, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Kyle Anderson for consistent frontcourt minutes, and was essentially out of the rotation by mid-December.

It left Caboclo feeling like he didn’t get a fair shot to prove himself in his new role.

“I played in training camp, I thought I did very well,” Caboclo said. “But when we started the season, [Jenkins] had a different plan. I was just on the side. A couple games I had an opportunity to get in, but it wasn’t a very good opportunity.”

It wasn’t an ideal situation for a guy on an expiring contract who recognizes that he’s running out of chances.

“Right now, I’m on the edge. I could be out of the league or I could secure myself if I play well [this season],” Caboclo said. “At this point in my career, I need to get some playing time.”

Is he a four or a five? Caboclo would rather be a four, but he thinks his future is at the five once he gains muscle mass this summer.

Would his career have taken off quicker if he’d waited a year or two to enter the draft? Caboclo admits he’s thought about this, and that he may have commanded more respect from analysts, coaches and fellow players alike if he’d established himself more abroad.

18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Right there with you, consistency is a two way street though. Consistent playing time and consistent production go together. Here's to both!

fattz and D-rock like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Really, what else could he have done? 5/8 from 3 is pretty ok...

fattz, cdrive and D-rock like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

I watched the whole game and thought his defense was sloppy. He's athletic enough to recover quickly in some instances, and that 30-foot wingspan helps. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that this is a newish system (or at least a heavily tweaked version) and he's still learning his way around.

I can see Bruno helping us in spots, maybe even regularly, but I can also see him getting pulled in close games if he doesn't tighten up that D.