1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oracle moving headquarters to Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Mother****ers

I eventually wanna move back. My city is unrecognizable when I come to visit . Get them and their sausagefest out

tinman, TWS1986 and Space Ghost like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Def time to buy real estate in austin

tinman likes this.
  4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think that ship has sailed.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

@tinman Mr. Ellison is coming to buy the Rockets. Right?

Amiga, tinman, AroundTheWorld and 3 others like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

About 10 years ago.

Make Austin Weird Again

CCity Zero, Blake and TWS1986 like this.
  7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Legalize it mannnnnnnnnn.

tinman and CCity Zero like this.
  8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

lol...all you rich folk in Austin about to be priced out by the uber-rich.

STR8Thugg, Bandwagoner, B-Bob and 4 others like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This doesn't matter if your house in Austin appreciates, you're willing to move, and you're willing to WFH and your new home is a cave in the middle of Kentucky with no rent. :D Bring 'em on. Of course I live in the DFW area, so why the hell am I excited? :(

CCity Zero, tinman and boomboom like this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Over the years, Oracle bought Java, MySQL and VirtualBox. The acquisitions make sense from a technology stack perspective. Assets that were already popular prior to purchase, but once acquired, when they sell the enterprise version; they're shrewd with the licensing fee.

Ellis had shown interest in buying a NBA franchise, he has the money, just the NBA owners boys club looked at him as an outsider. Trend changing with more tech owners. Oracle arena is now Oakland arena, maybe he'd still want a NBA team.

#10 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    BamBam likes this.
  11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i live here and its unrecognizable!

since covid started ive been doing walks downtown and surrounding areas. i hardly go downtown anymore and it was shocking to see how much its changed. not just downtown, but areas like west campus too. so many houses i knew that are now condos and tall apartment buildings. the facelift happened so quickly and even though ive lived here 25 years i had a hard time remembering what used to be where...it looks nothing like it used to. especially the west side of town (seaholm power plant area).

oracle already employs 2500 people in austin. they got that campus off riverside, east of I-35. i wonder how many more their corporate HQ will bring? elon made his move to austin official last week and i think its safe to assume hes moving teslas HQ to austin. just like oracle, hes done with california. and tik tok is rumored to be moving here as well. i think were going to see lots more tech companies from the bay area coming out here...and tons of people who can now work from home. my neighbors actually moved to seattle b/c they both work from home and wanted a change of scenery...and some people from seattle bought their house b/c they were both able to start working from home.

good article on this stuff...
    https://www.builtinaustin.com/2020/12/09/elon-musk-texas-move-tesla-austin-hiring

B-Bob, CCity Zero and Uprising like this.
  12. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Yeah, I don't recognize Austin anymore either. Working in the semi conductor industry in the early 90s half my co workers were building houses on 360 buying new trucks and boats. As a kid in the same town I was flabbergasted making the same salary. I almost bought a condo next to Landry's on Riverside for 30K facing lady bird lake aka Lake Austin for 35K for a 3/3 with two master bedrooms and shag carpet. Came back 5 years later to find the same unit for sales for 450K. Yeah I missed that opportunity...

House I just sold recently went in days and had bids from a Tesla Engineer.,, telling when it was just talk. The market here is still full of opportunities, Search RDC, everything 15 million and down is pending in the entire Lago Vista 78641 zip code empty land is flying out the window. Still have Apple building a campus as well in the area. New house is a bit further north with tons of development on the books. I am curious what the new covid friendly shopping center looks like of the future.

I plan ten more years then retiring and moving to cheaper cost of living.

CCity Zero and jo mama like this.
  13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im rich b****! my house has tripled in value over 12 years, but if i sell it thats basically saying i will never own property in austin again. i think that even if i was not living here i would keep my house and rent it out...id hate to think that id be giving up my foothold here forever!

theres not enough houses in austin to keep up with demand. so every house has multiple offers on the first day that its available and its causing prices to skyrocket. but california buyers can come in here and for them its cheap as f***.

the sprawl is going to get out of hand out here - but our unique problem relative to other texas cities is that we dont have a true loop system. our highways suck and i dont know that we can really do anything about it. plus theyre locking us in with toll roads so if you want to get anywhere you have to pay.

my property taxes have been going up 8%-10% a year for a few years, but the bill i just got had an increase of 15%! and i dont think that even factors in the increase for the light rail we just voted on...were going to be looking at 20% a year increases soon and thats going to drive even more people out. by next year my monthly property taxes will be more than my mortgage.

and its funny b/c i know people who b**** about cost of living in austin and how its hard to afford anything if youre an artist or musician...but then they vote for all the props that raise taxes...i dont think many of them understand that even as renters they are going to pay for that.

14. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

sprawl will get out of hand compared to what it is now but can hopefully be curbed more with denser living areas. like mueller/domain type areas popping up. even though those are expensive they do help with commute times being shorter. artist/musicians continue to dwindle and covid has magnified that. hopefully public transportation can help both of those issues; even though its going to cost me more.
    but yes i too am questioning how long i will stay in austin... that answer seems to get shorter every time.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Been in my house almost 18 years, and it has doubled in value here in Austin.

DD

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It can move to Austin. It can buy Tik Tok. It's still a boomer company. Dinosaur CRM with clown makeup on.

calurker likes this.
  17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wow. More Tech booming in town. I live in the burbs northeast of Austin, and the population in this town has nearly doubled in less than 10 years.

And increased 1833% in the last 20 years. Crazy.

#17 Uprising, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    CCity Zero and TWS1986 like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They already built a giant sized campus in east Austin awhile back.

this was as obvious as a @Carl Herrera joke
    @Os Trigonum

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m glad you are renting a room for Elon

CCity Zero and TWS1986 like this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t understand how you can have a city like this grow and not build some type of transit along with raising taxes to build it. You add in the fact that companies like Tesla and Amazon get tax breaks moving here. It doesn’t seem sustainable nor affordable for normal people.

I think I have at this point forgotten how made traffic is since March curbed it. It was surreal driving around Austin march through may.

jo mama and arkoe like this.