1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That just doesn't look right.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

I didn't realize I was getting HBO max for free through ATT Fiber.

Just cancelled netflix last week. Disney+ and Hulu is free through Verizon......bye bye Netflix.

4. adoo

adoo Member

Rodman23 likes this.
  5. thegary

If Netflix comes down from here it is a buy. Sorry, but they aren’t going anywhere...

saitou likes this.
  6. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

If y’all lose money don’t blame me tho :eek: and open interest in the the contract I chose is at around 5k. I don’t think it’ll be too hard to unload. I just wouldn’t hold on too close to expiration. I’m in 20 contracts btw

saitou likes this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

i am on the other side;

since mid-july, NFLX has been range-bound between the 460 - 570 trading channel,
    it has bounced off the low trading channel, actually closed the 518-521 gap.
    i see it visiting the top again going into the mid-Jan ERS​

[​IMG]

#12727 adoo, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  8. thegary

That still implies a nice upside at least until then. If it can overcome the previous tops then, well..It’s at least worth a trade...

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This stock is bonkers. It has risen 500% this week alone from my buy in around 33 cents. I should have bought several thousand instead of two. All together im up about 1100% i believe.

saitou likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some of it has to do with news that Kevin O'Leary jumped on-board and, I think Oregon legalized some form of it recently didn't they?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

12. adoo

adoo Member

on huge gap-up day, DIS closed at 171.7, up 21 on 10 X avg volume.

i have constructed a synthetic short on DIS, using Jan 15, 2021 options

bto 175 CALL
    sto 170 CALL, collecting a premium of $2.61, defining my max risk of $2.39​

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yes, those both for sure. But for me, it is just a general progression of where I see society going. Baby boomers still have Nixon and Nancy Reagan in their heads and ultimately you are never really going to get anywhere with them. Also things like Joe Rogan having the largest podcast in the world and talking about CBD/THC/DMT/Mushrooms over the last several years.

These are just generalizations but it's my impression that is where is society is going with younger generations. EV/renewable energy/MJ/etc

LMND/NIO/MMEDF could all easily flame out in the coming years but I was at least smart/lucky enough to fall for the BS from a company like Nikola.

So I am just trying to balance companies like the above with JNJ/MMM/PEP/NEE/SBUX etc while looking for more to park money for years starting early but in my opinion, the ship has sailed on companies like that until there is a correction of some extent again. There is no way in hell I'm buying Airbnb or something like it right now in this environment unless it is very short term or even upping my dollar cost average on LMND/NIO/MMEDF I stopped buying them when I posted their tickers here.

saitou likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The EV/renewable trade has been around forever. The problem with them has been the battery tech/solar tech hasn't been efficient enough to be worth it. Most of the first automobiles ran on a battery. lol. As for the attempts around the 90's, nobody wanted a car that had to be recharged every few feet. It's only the past few years they've been getting any appreciable range for even intra-city runarounds. I'm still not buying one as a primary vehicle until I can get around 400 miles on a charge and not have to worry about "is there a charging station along the way?" About 13 years ago, I looked into getting solar for my house and when I saw how long it took for the payoff, I just said "nah".

The other thing to watch out for in things like this is watch for big money to come in. Most institutions won't get into these stocks until they're around $5-$10, so they could pile on later. From reading around just now, there have been individual big boys investing and backing these type of companies for a while (and yes, some are boomers... lol). Also found another reason it may have been popping recently (application for NASDAQ uplisting) : https://mindmed.co/news/news-press/psychedelic-drug-company-mindmed-applies-for-nasdaq-up-listing/ . Also, Kevin O'Leary has shown up on CNBC pumping psychedelics in the past couple of months, so that helps. Somebody even recommended CMPS as a trade on Fast Money the other day.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you invest. Probably 90% of my money is in fairly well-known solid stuff and maybe another 5% in some moonshots. I just don't happen to dabble in penny stocks much because most of them are crap. lol. Maybe you've found one that was a steal! Good job. :)

saitou likes this.
  15. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

Hi guys, I’m knee deep in OSTK and BIGC and have lost a lot of money, any advice for a fellow in need?

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I'm in 20 as well. I will totally blame you and hate you if we lose $ haha.

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Very nice. I just bought 100 ytd to slowly avg in, now I'm wondering what to do lol. Any idea when is the nasdaq listing? That's the most immediate catalyst I can think of.

Of the shroom boom stocks, mmedf is half market cap of cmps. Would nasdaq listing get it to cmps' cap?

#12737 saitou, Dec 11, 2020
  18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I don't think SPACs fad is anywhere close to over, just a mini-rotation within SPACs from shares of "expensive" spacs to warrants of "cheap" spacs. Even SPACs with no announced target are seeing warrants go to $2, even $3.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I'm starting to see the light of this strategy, making asymmetrical bets (lower likelihood of surviving, but much higher potential return). Traditional ipo really sucks now for retail, big boys get the discount and dump it after to retail for easy $.

Airbnb will probably be a cult stock forever, but my views are heavily colored by where I live - if regulators ever grow teeth or get smart the whole biz model can fall apart quickly. In Singapore its basically illegal to use it for public housing (80% of the residential market) and even in private market it's a bit grey.

Other home owners do not want their neighborhood turned into a place where new transient strangers show up everyday, city planners that carefully planned and zoned districts hate seeing their plans turned upside down, the tax agency wants it's cut, hotels are lobbying, labor groups for workers at hotels could get involved etc. If you have a stong and competitive hospitality industry, I'm not sure y you would want them to get disrupted by a new guy whose competitive advantage is skirting your laws and regulations. If the hospitality industry is weak, allowing airbnb is a shortcut, but it places a strain on other aspects of governance.

#12739 saitou, Dec 11, 2020
    Sajan likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Do you ever watch this guy? He is just about the only person I watch time to time on YouTube regarding anything to do with finance or stocks.

Hopefully within five years I will have my CFA charter. But until I learn more than just basics. I try to read up on companies like ARKK invest and use other ideas to determine what I could potentially invest in and hold for the next 20-30 years. There are relatively few rides you can take like Amazon but if you could find a few close to that and hold for a long time you could live off of that when you're older.

saitou likes this.