1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. raining threes

If you want to be the best and have the money then buy the best. If they dont Jimbo is just getting started with the azz whipping in recruiting that will happen over the next 5 years.

You can take a chance on another Herman type guy and end up having to pay him just like they're going to have to pay Herman. (Wasted money) What are the odds they hire an up and coming HC that's like Meyer was or they hire another Strong or Herman? Given the track record of the last decade I'm not hopeful they can hire a young Meyer.

They could always hire Briles if they want to win. I read an article somewhere that detailed how the Baylor Regents railroaded Briles.

2. TheresTheDagger

3. Major

Major Member

Yeah - I'm not saying they shouldn't hire Meyer if they can him. I just think its pretty pathetic that it seems that this is the only way the two biggest schools in Texas can figure out how to be decent. TCU, Baylor, all sorts of other schools manage to figure out ways to get good without buying coaches, but neither of the flagship schools can do it.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not trying to knock on TCU or Baylor as both schools have had more success than UT and A&M the past decade. But if you want a real shot at a Championship and can garner the interest (i.e. pay) for a championship coach, it’s the prudent route to go.

It’s the route Alabama finally took after going through 3 head coaches. It’s the route Ohio State went immediately after Tressel parted ways. Pathetic is not a word I have heard associated with those decisions.

5. gucci888

On another note, the 21 class is down to two 3* OL recruits after a decommitment.

tinman likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

Everyone seems to keep missing my point. I think I have said a few times that if you can get Urban Meyer, nothing wrong with that. No one said that decision would be pathetic. The pathetic part is that both A&M and Texas can't seem to succeed at all when they don't go that route. Baylor got into the top 10 with a new coach, completely obliterated their program with a sexual assault scandal, and rebuilt it back to the top 10 again with a different coach in the time that Texas has been mediocre. It shouldn't be impossible for the flagship schools to be doing better than fringe-top-25 without needing Meyer or Fisher.

From the article posted above:

[​IMG]

This is the part that's pathetic (Ignore the first 4 on the list). There's no reason Texas should need Urban Meyer to be on the level of Baylor, Okie State, or TCU.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. gucci888

Funny people freaking out about this. This is the most non-committal statement CDC could have possible made. If Herman was unequivocally coming back next season, he would’ve wrote that.

Try to stabilize the program for NSD1 and keep shopping. If no good options arise, then bring him back if needed. But I don’t see read anything that commits CDC to Herman next season.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

UT is the next in line to play in the big 12 championship game if OU or Iowa St have a covid outbreak. Not really sure if they would be able to given their own outbreak last week.

Major likes this.
  10. Brando2101

11. gucci888

Ossai opting out of bowl game to start draft prep. Damn shame how much talent has gone wasted on this team.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

This would be amusing, especially if OU was the team that had to opt out.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

why not hire art briles? He is a good football coach. He is morally bankrupt, but which of these coaches isn't?

DaDakota and raining threes like this.
  14. gucci888

I’d be surprised if he ever gets a shot at another P5.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Auburn fired their coach and paying him a 21 million buyout

16. gucci888

I know, nuts. I know it’s early but word is their DC and interim HC, Kevin Steele, is the leader for job. That’d be pretty ridiculous to pay $21M to hire your own DC for the job.

tinman likes this.
  17. Brando2101

who has a 9–36 record as a head coach.

gucci888 likes this.
  18. gucci888

Not sure we would even be able to play. Team activities are still on hold per 247.

19. Buck Turgidson

The ensuing Category 5 PR sh!tstorm

Nook likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

That would be even more amusing. I'd love for a B12 Title Game between Tech and Baylor as the last teams standing.

gucci888 and Buck Turgidson like this.