1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Does A&M have a chance at cracking the CFP?

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

possibe but tough.

Alabama needs to stomp whoever they play in the Sec championship so A&M s only loss would be to #1 Alabama. Then then committee needs to be convinced that Ohio State only playing a weak 6 game schedule shouldn’t get them in.

3. TheresTheDagger

If Notre Dame beats Clemson again next weekend, Clemson would have to fall out of top 4 and as long as TAMU defeats MSU and Tennessee, they would probably slide into the #4 ranking.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Because Florida lost to LSU...

...would Florida beating Alabama in the SEC champ game be good for A&M? Or would the outlook be worse?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Same outlook ether way I would think.

6. Major

Major Member

Worse for A&M. It's hard to see the committee putting two SEC teams in (Alabama and A&M), while NOT putting in the SEC champion (Florida). Best scenario for A&M is for Alabama to win a close game (leaving Florida as a good 3-loss opponent) and Notre Dame beat Clemson, Northwestern beat OSU (ha!), or OSU to have another Covid outbreak this week.

Or maybe Alabama have a covid outbreak, putting A&M in the SEC title game? Not sure how the SEC handles that scenario, but apparently it would work in the B12.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

What I got out of this, is:

Breaking: @Major tells Aggies fans to root for Covid.

:eek::D

Fyreball and Major like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

It worked for Oregon, apparently! Washington had to back out of the Pac12 Title Game, so Oregon gets in.

Ziggy, Fyreball and Juxtaposed Jolt like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Rooting for Covid didn't work, apparently.

Top 4 are going to be Bama / OSU / Clemson / ND.

Even though the Aggies would have been rolled by Alabama, just knowing we made it there under Fisher would have been great.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm at peace with it. Pee-pee game year. Trump took credit for the Big 10 resuming football, so it's his fault, lulz.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

No Aggies watching the game?!

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Devon Achane about to be someone very good for the Aggies offense next year.

Uprising likes this.
  13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome fourth quarter.

That boy just ran all over them. Top 4 ranking if not 3 after this one.

How about that ACC. LMAO

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm not going to say that A&M would have beat Alabama, but they would have made a better showing, I think. Still, a one loss, Orange Bowl win season is a major accomplishment.

In any other year, a 1-loss SEC team with the only loss against #1 is in the CFP.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I watched. But I only care about the playoffs unfortunately. Hopefully we get there some day, lulz.

16. Major

Major Member

A&M was trailing a UNC team missing its 3 best offensive players in the 4th quarter. We've already seen A&M vs Alabama, and A&M did much worse than ND did. And that was before Alabama's defense improved in the 2nd half of the season.

Thanks to being in the same division, we also have an endless numbers of comparable late season scores:

Alabama vs LSU: 55-17
    A&M vs LSU: 20-7

Alabama vs Auburn: 42-13
    A&M vs Auburn: 31-20

Alabama vs Arkansas: 52-3
    A&M vs Arkansas: 42-31

And on and on. A&M is trying to get a ton of mileage from the win against Florida.

17. Buck Turgidson

Couple of RBs were missing, had a bit to do with UNC's offense

Williams: 157 for 1,140 yards, 7.3 avg, 19TD
    Carter: 156 for 1,245 yards, 8.0 avg, 9TD

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I certainly didn't hate him as much as most Aggies seem to. I thought he did a fine job protecting the ball. Not sure who we turn to, but it seems like we're due for a big name transfer?

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ziggy...Mond had always been one of those players that had some great moments, but that also was very inconsistent, particularly in big games. He did have a couple of good games against top teams, but not often.

This year, I saw TREMENDOUS improvement in that, particularly after the Alabama game. Much more consistent, and also doing 'NFL caliber' things he didn't use to do: working through the route tree, looking off DB's, etc. Prior to seeing that, I thought he would at best be a backup QB somewhere in the NFL. That might still be the case, but he's doing pro style things now.

Aggies have 2 young high level prospects. One was a redshirt, the other a freshman, but very highly touted. Will be interesting to see what they do, and HOW they do. Losing a lot of the O line, and the QB. That would seem to point to a dip next year. While I certainly enjoyed seeing the progress and success this year, have to also acknowledge that it was a down year for the SEC West. Combine those two things, and A&M will do very well indeed to tread water next year.

Have to also inject that the Aggies were screwed by the committee. While some justification could be made for slotting ND into the CFP ahead of them, I also firmly believe if you swapped the records, ND would still have gotten in. That aside, what on earth puts a two loss Clemson team, the last loss a completely thorough blow out, ahead of 1 loss A&M, which WON its last game (last 8 games, even). Pure BS. Which is why the whole ranking system is just stupid. Have always thought that...this is but one example of it. No other sport thinks the best way to slot teams is ask a bunch of reporters what they think. It's ridiculous. This final ranking is an example of just how ridiculous it is. Justified or not, losing games, prior to this year, always dropped you in the rankings. This year? Not really, even if said loss was a blowout. In any other year, Clemson would have probably dropped 6 or 7 spots.

Who cares? Well, helps with recruiting.

Ziggy likes this.