1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Instagram Stories] PJ and Harden practicing (loyalty)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Dec 11, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

It’s dumb. There is no loyalty in sports.

Players acting as if they don’t ask for a trade/their release.
    Owners acting as if they don’t cut, trade these guys.

Harden asking for a trade with 3 years left on a deal he signed. (Maybe sign 1+1 deals like LeBron?) So much for loyalty. :rolleyes:
    An owner/GM cutting/trading a guy the first sign of decline or injury. So much for loyalty. :rolleyes:

Loyalty HAHAHAHA

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If the Rockets don’t extend Tucker this season, what makes you think he will choose to stay in Houston as a free agent after the season? Other contending teams will have interest in him, and all bets are off once you let a player hit free agency. Fertitta should have learned that lesson with Trevor Ariza. Also, if Tucker leaves, that only pushes James Harden further out the door.

A two-year deal with a team or player option around the range of $18-$20 million in total contract value is fair for Tucker, and it wouldn’t be a hard contract for the Rockets to move at the trade deadline next season, if necessary.

#82 DVauthrin, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  3. Duke Fan

Duke Fan Member

This is it. He has spent his money on sneakers, and trying to keep up with the superstar lifestyle of someone like Harden. He's an aging, undersized role player that is replaceable.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Just because it doesn't exist doesn't mean it's dumb.

It's something that I wish was more common on both sides.

Players sticking to a city and owners taking care of their players.

rfrocket and D-rock like this.
  5. csc177

csc177 Member

....I'm not going to check you on the 'regular job' comment, that's a weak clown's take, not wasting energy on that one.

I come here to post opinions about the team I follow, you don't like my takes, keep scrolling, but don't come at me personally, you don't know me.

Re: your earlier point. YES, an organization (REGARDLESS OF THE INDUSTRY) can just be like "I'm not extending you"...this is life, it's reality. There's no loyalty. It's about the bottom line.....And for the players...I'm all for them getting money; but being "whatever else it's commonly called", yeah a DIVA is corny to me. You're upset about your contract? Cool. Demand a trade (say it publicly even) and go back to work. Leave when your contract expires.... The subliminal (high school) social media posts and pouting is unbecoming of professional millionaires.

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Extend them both. PJ deserves one at least.

goddang smooth over one freaking relationship Tillman.

DVauthrin and D-rock like this.
  7. jogo

jogo Member

If you pay Tucker and it makes Harden stay, then you have to find a way to pay him. (We don't know if it would make Harden stay but maybe they can figure that out). How much is the question.

According to an August 2019 study I just looked up, power forwards were the lowest paid position at that time at about $6.5 million. Let's just assume that is still the case (though the $ is probably a bit more now).
    https://www.samford.edu/sports-anal... center in the,just under 9.4 million dollars.

Tucker is listed as a SF (weirdly) on Sportrac. He's the 34th highest paid SF on that list. Aside from Lebron (age 35, $39 mill), here are SFs close to his age and their salaries: Igoudala (36, $15 mill), Gay (34, $14.5 mill), Ariza (35, $12.8 mill). So Tucker is underpaid to me if you compare him to those players.

As a PF, Tucker would be 24th. Comparable players: Aldridge (35, $24 mill), J Johnson (33, $16 mill), T Young (32, $13.5 mill), Millsap (35, $10 mill).

What is he worth TO THE ROCKETS? He's worth more to us than any other team (assuming he helps us keep Harden). 8-10 mill per, 2 years? Would he take that or have we offered him an extension? If Tillman can keep him for that then I think he should definitely do it.

Now, if Harden leaves it may be a totally different story.

D-rock likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We can give PJ as long and as lucrative a contract as Harden wants - as long as anything over the vet min (or reasonable amount for PJs age vs contract length) comes off Hardens supermax extension and PJs contract is the same or shorter duration....

easy peasy...

THAT'D be loyalty...

Wanting to threaten and strong arm somebody to give someone else a payoff - or you'll go somewhere else and make the exact same money.... thats just extortion...

we were willing to waste a roster spot and a min contract for Bobby Brown... but we shouldnt be giving some 4/40M or whatever to a 36 yo PJ while footing the full supermax on Harden... imo...

If it doesnt matter and Harden is leaving regardless... welp we got an expiring contract to move! ;)

9. Nook

Nook Member

People just do not realize how awful it was to work for the Rockets after Tilman came on board. The team went from an owner that left the rank and file alone and as long as things did not blow up, stayed in Florida and watched his team on television......... to a guy that tried to run the Rockets like it was one of his restaurants and believed constant pressure and threats of losing employment was a motivator.

Also, the GM started to lose some of his influence to subordinates and even people outside the organization.

My only hope is that Tilman looks at the carnage and realizes he needs to step back.......... he is a poor man's Jerry Jones.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets can’t give PJ a 2/16 extension or even just a 1 year extension with a bloated salary to reward him for what he’s done?

you’ll see who will ever take less money to come here again...

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That is what I said in my signature. #Tilman's destructive force is mind-boggling. Never seen it in sports history.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tim MacMahon's report.

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yeah, and we can tell. this sh*t is corny, millionaire or not.

#93 DreamShook, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

NIKEstrad and D-rock like this.
  15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I love PJ. I think he deserves an extension. Yeah, he's 35 but if Harden is here we need vets like him. If Harden is traded I'd want his salary on the books for salary matching/trade purposes. I remember people were upset that we let Ariza sign with Phoenix as if $15M was nothing. Phoenix later used Ariza to trade for Kelly Oubre. Phoenix was a rebuilding team that had no use for a vet like Ariza but eventually got a good asset for themselves. PJ is like Ariza in that he'll have trade value even when his usefulness as a player drops. How much can his extension really hurt us?

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Why Morey left. And when Morey left....it made Harden antsy because he lost all the people he trusted.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

You’re in your feelings because I said u work a regular job? Are u kidding me? Most people do. You’re crying like I said u work at Burger King...

like I said, stop trying to compare whatever job you’re doing to sports...

Lol, if PJ demanded a trade, the fans would destroy him and still say he’s a diva. Let’s stop being disingenuous.

HP3 and YOLO like this.
  18. csc177

csc177 Member

I think everyone had a piece in making this bed (Till, Morey/Stone, MDA and Harden) 3 of the aforementioned decided not to sleep in that bed anymore.

19. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm sure they'd consider the 2/16... I'm pretty sure that's lower than he wants.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol at the people throwing shade at PJ for all he's done to this point for the rockets and he can't even at minimum get this last year guaranteed on his deal. some of yall really hold yourself to standards you don't even hold yourself. you hate to see it

DVauthrin, joshuaao, Reeko and 3 others like this.