1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Has anyone seen any data on the Covid strains? I've only seen that one note with the Baltimore Ravens report with supposedly 6 different Covid strains and 1 highly infectious strain in their facility.

It's strange to me that even places like Germany are seeing massive spikes. California and Texas have very similar hospitalization and percent positive rates even though Cali has been much more heavy handed with their controls.

Ziggy likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is from August : https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200803105246.htm

This is an October Reuters story about the strain that may be causing the spike in Europe : https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...-spain-and-spread-across-europe-idUSKBN27E2RS

3. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

I believe this is most deaths per day due to a single cause. #4-7 are due to COVID-19

Nook likes this.
  4. Outlier

Outlier Member

A simple number I've already shown you which you have chosen to ignore. You're not intelligent at all and you would fail that intelligence test big time.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Data is provided through the 48th week of 2020. So far this year, the CDC reports that 2,877,601 people have died. At the same point in 2018, the number was 2,606,928, and in 2019, it was 2,614,950. The number of deaths to this point in 2020 is at least 260,000 greater than either of the past two years. But that number is an underestimate because the CDC publishes data based on the number of death certificates it has received. Since it can take a couple of weeks for all death certificates to be recorded, the numbers for the last two weeks, at least, will increase as time goes by. If the last two weeks produce a similar number of deaths as the weeks before, the margin to this point will actually be close to 310,000.

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/h...2018/501-355b857c-e7e9-40e4-b31d-11500cbcb103

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Seems like this new wave of COVID patients consist of a lot more younger people at my hospital. Seeing a lot more 30-55 year old people that tend to be very obese and they aren’t handling it well.

malakas, Nook and daywalker02 like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

FYI: My Allergy & Immunology MD friend wrote this about the Pfizer vaccine:

I just wanted to let everyone know the exciting news that the first vaccine for COVID has been approved. These are exciting times for us immunologists as we watch our specialty making headlines. I want you to know that I have read the entire study that detailed the clinical trial of the vaccine from Pfizer. First and foremost, I believe this is a first-rate vaccine and that everyone should get it. This vaccine is a safe and effective. When available, my family will receive it. I realize that it could be months before it is widely available, but when you can, I urge you to get it. This pandemic has been a great demonstration of why vaccines have played the greatest role in public healthcare since the advent of modern medicine.

The vaccine by Pfizer and by Moderna are both mRNA vaccines which is a new type of vaccine, but one cannot get COVID 19 from the vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine (approved) will require a booster 21 days later and the Moderna vaccine (if approved) will have a booster 28 days later.

I’m sure you have many other questions, so here are the answers to some you may have:

• How long does it take for our bodies to become protected? Approximately two to three weeks
    • Is the booster necessary? Yes, absolutely, to achieve maximum efficacy.
    • Are there any side effects? The most likely side effects are fatigue, fever and body aches.
    • Will we need to continue to wear our masks? Yes, for the forseeable future until the CDC and the Texas Medical Board feel that enough of the population has been vaccinated.
    • Should a person receive the vaccine who has already had COVID? Yes, because not everyone who had COVID necessarily created enough antibodies to protect them.
    • Will this vaccine need to be given yearly? We do not know yet.

Many have had questions regarding the two people in the UK who had a systemic reaction to the Pfizer vaccine. The suspected item is polyethylene glycol and no one with food allergies or a drug allergy are believed to be at any risk. As a side note, the 40K people who received the vaccine in the U.S.A. did not have a similar reaction.

As I conclude this letter, I just want you to know that we at BYAA are aware these have been some of the most trying times for you and your family and you are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope this letter helped clarify some of the issues at hand and help you make the best decision for you and your family. We are here for you at BYAA.

My very best,

George W. Browne, M.D. FACAAI, FAAAAI
    Founder and CEO of Bless You Allergy & Asthma​

bobrek and B-Bob like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Had to go get tested this AM. The testing here in Texas is stupid. Just plain stupid. They did away with all the free sites you could drive through and if you want the free drive through it’s with CVS or Walgreens and they are booked for a week.

So now you are stuck with paying 100 dollars to go to an urgent care clinic. That’s pretty much the only way now and they don’t do rapid.

It’s no shock that we are still in this pandemic and it’s no shock that people have just given up, and don’t care if they are spreading.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Really?
    Here in Pearland/Friendswood area you can still get rapid test and PCR in same visit at almost every urgent care.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Lots of friends reporting exposure now through their kids especially, as CA schools open, reshut, reopen, reshut.

What I notice societally, at least in SF, is that people are wearing masks but assuming that's all they need to do. The six-foot separation is just gone, and if you try to keep 6 feet away from people, you have to act like a freak, hugging walls, throwing yourself into bushes, etc. This virus has just completely hacked American culture. It has the perfect method for circulating and spreading, given our basic lack of discipline and our intolerance for inconvenience.

arkoe, Nook and MadMax like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not in DFW. I couldn’t get a rapid appointment for a week.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Damn that sucks, I’ve sent several staff for rapid tests. 30 minutes in and out.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

What? I saw a drive thru one at the Krogers on highway 6

16. Nook

Nook Member

People here do not care in many cases, and in other cases there is a lot of fatigue.

Even my single friends are saying the hookups for casual sex right now are HIGHER than pre COVID.

We as a country cannot apparently come together for anything anymore.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

At the current rate of infection, we might reach herd immunity before enough people opt in for the vaccine. Sad.

Sajan likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

WTF!

In Houston, we've had no issue getting the rapid test using curbside service at nearby urgent cares. My wife is a teacher, and just as a precaution to make sure she hasn't gotten it again, she gets tested at the drop of a hat about once a month when she shows any symptom since school went partially in person.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If that is true it is really no big deal. PEG is in everything from aquatic to beauty products to food and most people have no reactions to it. It has always weirded me out that it is in so much because of what it is, but most people don’t react so whatever.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My sister has it. She says she's asymptomatic but she sounds terrible. She's also a borderline alcoholic so her immune system is shot. Her daughter is living with us now so I might have a confrontation coming up when my sister wants her to come home for the holiday. We can't bring Covid back into our household on purpose.

My sister is in FW and was able to get two rapid tests in two days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

malakas likes this.