1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

17 Other States Join Texas To Declare Trump President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

These loons have been around for a long time, remember the "Republic of Texas" crew out in the Davis Mountains?

Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

States Rights! Don’t Tread On Me!

Wait...

Andre0087, sirbaihu and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Montana's AG signed on to an amicus brief saying the election in GA, MI, PA and WI was unconstitutional because of alleged state law violations. The state's governor argues it wasn't and that this argument would invalidate Montana's election too.

5. NewRoxFan

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, so Texas' 3 Stooges, Abbott, Paxton, and House Speaker Dennis Bonnen, along with the shabby bearded clone of Donald, aka Ted Cruz, are joined by the Dirty Dozen in the Election suit. Who are the Dirty Dozen? Let me tell you, so you don't forget which Texas Republicans to never vote for in the future.

Kevin Brady, Michael Burgess, Michael Cloud, Mike Conway, Dan Crenshaw. Bill Flores, Louie Gohmert, Lance Gooden, Kenny Marchant, Randy Weber, Roger Williams, and Ron Wright.

What do they all have in common? A bunch of power hungry White men, who will do anything to please their puppet master.

AleksandarN, jo mama and mdrowe00 like this.
  7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

From a legitimate legal perspective, the only remaining unknown is whether or not Alito, Thomas, and perhaps Barrett will vote to hear the case if they continue to subscribe to the interpretation of mandatory OJ. Then they'll reject the case on standing before weighing the baseless merits of the claim.

Have none of y'all read the Dorf article linked earlier? Do we not have the ability to have better-than-tweet level discourse here?

vlaurelio likes this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What you are trying to say, in many more words, has been covered several times already: this is a question of federalism/states' rights. What's your issue?

9. NewRoxFan

This is another proof point to how frivolous this is... there is no such thing as ""New Nevada" and "New California"...

mdrowe00 and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

So why don't the New State of Texas and other "New" states file against Texas/in defense of GA, PA etc..

Just flood the SC

2 can play that game

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

No, it's even earlier in the process. This is a question of whether OJ cases brought before the court are deemed mandatory or discretionary, and the implications of how court altering it could be if Alito and Thomas were able to convince the other justices of their jurisprudence.

Because this Paxton lawsuit is at the extreme end of legal stupidity on multiple levels (merit, standing, remedy, procedure), it puts Alito and Thomas in the uncomfortable position of stating that all future lawsuits of similar stupidity must be granted a hearing in front of SCOTUS due to mandatory OJ.

There's a sinister part of me that hopes that all 6 other justices who believe in discretionary OJ (Barrett has no track record) reverse course side with the Alito and Thomas just to open the flood gates of legal absurdity.

That's what's funny about this lawsuit. Alito and Thomas' jurisprudence only works in a world where crazy Paxtons and crazy GOP doesn't exist, and I think this case will force them to change their minds, or at least find a work around to save face.

12. conquistador#11

Remember when we joked that the states with "New" in front of them are confusing. Life imitating comedy.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, well I would say OJ cases are obviously discretionary up to this day in American history. So the question is: will particular judges make a historically unprecedented change; will "conservative" judges become activist judges today?

We can always ask if a given judge is going to go haywire today. I just didn't feel your condescension was necessary.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

NOW we actually have evidence of trying to steal the election. #stopthesteal #stopthetexassteal

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Sorry for coming off condescending. I honestly don't even remember any of your posts. The thing I was annoyed with is continuing tit for tat with those who are trying to argue the case on its merits. That discussion ends by like page 1 and multiple blocks. There's no advancement made when dealing with disingenuous trolls.

mdrowe00 and vlaurelio like this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

in 2016, the Con Don cried CrookedHillary

in 2020, the Commander in Thief cried Stop the Steal

17. NewRoxFan

18. NewRoxFan

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And you think once a side gets envious of the other they still will be happy and not take what the other side has.

Let me introduce you to history and human nature.

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure what to make of 17 states and 100+ GOP House Members supporting a dumbass lawsuit while many others are saying they will contest the election on the floor, and State Reps are trying to overturn their own elections. @Space Ghost told us this stuff was just Trump being Trump and everyone would just ignore it. And I'm sure somewhere down the line he will tell us both parties are equally bad and do this kind of stuff.