1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Rockets make playoffs with Simmons and Wall next 3 seasons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Can Rockets make playoffs with Simmons and Wall this season?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Emotional is an insult?

Nice.

He's not asked to score 20 PPG. 17-8-8 at age 23 is incredible and that's not accounting for his defensive eliteness.

Your take on him is what every other boomer says about him. You just can't comprehend that there's more than one way to be an incredible player. Luckily you won't remember your low level take in a year when Simmons is a consensus top 15 player.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I did not mean to offend you that’s how you took it lol. You r emotion clouded your thoughts and resulted in an ill informed outburst and insults onto me. What top tier max contract player do you know cannot score? Not sure what he is not asked to score means. It’s rather he cannot score so they work within their limitations. Just like how Jason Kidd couldn’t score limiting the Nets offense which depended on kitties and van horn or Jefferson etc. Again if you read what I said I said he was great in facilitating and defense. This complicates a team like the rockets looking for an offensive replacement for Harden’s output.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Absolutely impossible to replace Harden's input on offense. Ben Simmons wouldn't be a fill in for Harden, it's why the Rockets would also get picks, Thybulle and Milton. No single player will be equal to Harden's value. Philly is the only team where a trade makes sense.

He's better at scoring than Pascal Siakam and Bam Adebayo off the top of my head(similar age similar pay). Two other guys who just got big contracts. Make Simmons your focal point and he'll average 25-10-10.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I would argue yes, but much of that depends on Wall.

It’s pretty well know what you need on offense to play with Simmons. A secondary ball handler, 2 wing shooters and a stretch 5. Houston has all of that if Wall can play off ball.

BallaDoc likes this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

SIMMONS is a young McGrady/Magic he is special!!! Anybody can learn to shoot...Magic was not a great shooter until later in his career,

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Im sorry you are just incorrect and again I invite you to watch his play last season. Siakam can shoot threes. I never once mentioned equal value. I said replacement for Harden’s output. There has to be a scoring replacement. Not replication but replacement. Ben Simmons is a nice piece as a third star and creator/facilitator but he is not and will never be a number 1 or 2 option at scoring. In a perfect world I wish the Rockets have him with 2 other stars. But reality is he makes too much for an offensively limited player.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Again not about shooting. Offense is more than shooting my friend.

8. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I'd call that more Rockets trade $.75 for $.60.

Rocket Guy likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Trade deadline
    Middleton and Holiday for Harden and Gordon

10. Fefo

Fefo Member

This is funny/borderline pathetic argument.
    All the things you name he can't do are shooting( fade aways, stepbacks, etc) , and then you says he can do all the rest, wich are not shooting ( off the dribble, cutting).
    I seen him play a lot more than you probably, and he is great. It's hard to play when you are surrounded by non shooters, especially if you can't shoot either.
    But if you build a team around him, with shooting that runs, he can be awesome.
    He is certainly waaay better than Levert and dinwindle

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Why make the trade if the star we received back for Harden can't even guarantee a playoff spot in 3yrs?.... Hope Stoney doesn't have OPs's mindset..

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'd rather trade him for multiple 1st rd picks and tank

13. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

This garbage team would struggle to win a single series either way

javal_lon likes this.
  14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Read. Stop the judgement. Comprehend. The was specifically speaking about his offensive ability. The argument was “he can do everything”. Logically speaking not being able to play offense but doing other things means you can’t do everything. Play offense not just shoot. There is more to playing offense than shooting and those items are listed. Simple logic. Simple English. You have not made one factual statement but a series of judgements and assumptions. Educate yourself.

#74 Stephen_A, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  15. BigBum

BigBum Member

First round picks from Bucks, Heat, 76ers and Nets have little value.

I think the best idea is to get one all star and one top tier rookie contract.

BallaDoc and javal_lon like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He has a hefty salary. Is it justified to take on a player with this salary with limited offense when your team already has offensive limitations while needing a scorer to replace Harden? Is this necessarily a championship team when one of the highest paid players on your team isn’t a first or second option scorer? What good will shooters do when you don’t have anyone but Wall to break down defenses? What happens if Wall or Woods has to kick out? What happens if Wall is zone trapped? Simmons is a liability. A unique player in that he does many things well but have no fundamentals on offense. Offense. Not just shooting. Offense. Again please be educated before rushing to judgement.

17. Since75

Since75 Member

They don't have to want him back. It's more about Morey getting Harden back. Fultz could easily be moved.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

With Simmons, it's not just 3pt, it's mid rangers too. On offense, he only hangs around the rim, because that's the only place he can score. And if you don't care about mid range, in the paint (non-restricted area), dude is below 40% (yikes).

Guys like CP3, DeRozen or Kawhii still have an elbow jumper to keep the defender guessing.

[​IMG]

Whether or not we tank or fringe playoff team next few years. If Harden leaves, I rather we surround Wall with knock down shooters. Wall can shoot, but he's also a good slasher, if Simmons is on the court, Simmon's defender can just sag off, which really put a wrench in Wall's drives or the pick roll where the big man rolls.

#78 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Stephen_A likes this.
  19. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Pelicans got hosed with AD... hoping we get some reparations from league/players association from this debaucal.

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Easy... have a different system. Rockets ISO heavy required a James harden. A different system can spread scoring load and will not need as much dependence on high scoring player. Cp3 took scrubs almost past the Rockets in 1 year. I’m hoping we take a 180 and be all in on defense and expand the rotation. Stops lead to buckets and transition offense - catering to wall’s speed.