1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Super Stars Get Traded For

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Anyone think the following trade would have a chance, I'd be pretty happy with this:

Houston out:
    - (SG) James Harden (Age 31) - $38 million
    - (F) PJ Tucker (Age 35) - $8 million

Houston in:
    - (F) Pascal Siakam (Age 25) - $29 million
    - (SG) Fred VanVleet (Age 26) - $21 million

Getting younger talent back and smaller contracts would keep the Rockets competitive while having assets that are easier to move.

eman likes this.
  2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agreed.

On his podcast, lowe, macmahon and others have stated that in their view, brown, tatum, murray, siakam, bam are not players their teams will be willing to exchange for harden. And that if Morey does include Simmons (a big if atm) picks will be unlikely.

They could be wrong of course and events/circumstances may change between now and the trade deadline.

3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The better comparison might be Kawhi (ironic considering how some compare Harden unfavorably to Kawhi). Kawhi was being a diva and demanding his way out, even more egregiously than Harden since he was doing it mid season and basically refusing to play under the guise of injury. It ultimately forced SA's hand, and they got no value back from Toronto.

... Of course the difference with Kawhi is that injuries were still a question mark for him.

4. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Yeah it's quite disappointing. I find my self thinking if we got back what Davis or George got, I would be beyond happy at this point.

Harden's value should be higher than both but...

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Harden has finished in the top 3 in MVP voting in each of the last 4 years.

We are better off with a malcontent Harden than half of the trade packages ive seen Rockets fans propose.

HP3, Patience and KelvinCato13 like this.
  6. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

It kills me that the Lakers and Clippers were bidding against themselves and still gave a haul for George and Davis.

7. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

I disagree, from past experiences morey has shown that when he wants a guy he will overpay to get him.If he wants harden he will pay the moon for him.

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Does anyone recall the details and events surrounding a trade involving a superstar.

I vaguely recall that in the AD trade which dragged on for more than alf a season, the assets involved were leaked pretty early.

Same with the carmelo to knicks trade.

I recall the PG trade was extremely fast both from IND and OKC to LAC.

I know Kawhi wanting out lasted a few weeks but wasn't the actual trade to TOR sudden?

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Also, if there’s no desperate teams right now....fine.

There will be at the deadline and in the summer. There is always a desperate GM or owner. You just have to be patient.

The real leverage that Houston has is that whoever Harden goes to in the East, among the contenders, they are instantly the favorite.

Curry / Harden / Green / Harris / Embiid - favorite

Dragic / Harden / Butler / Iggy / Leonard - favorite

Harden / Giannis / whoever / whoever / whoever - favorite

Kyrie / Harden / Durant / whoever / whoever - favorite

Kemba / Harden / Brown / Whoever / Whoever - favorite

So that is the leverage. Whoever he goes to makes them the favorite, and all the other teams are the lesser for it.

Deuce, HP3 and glynch like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

man i hope we never get that bad of a trade again

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Barkley was traded with Hornacek being the main piece in return.

Unfortunately, no superstar trade will ever yield comparable value. The eventual Harden trade is going to disappoint many here.

Patience, tinman and RasaqBoi like this.
  12. anchel

anchel Member

Great job, thank u!

As you can see, you can't take for granted an Anthony Davis kind of deal.
    If you can take from the Sixers Simmons, Thybulle + one or two 1st round picks, it would be OK.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I meant if he refused to play like he has been. Even if he's out there, f he's just going through the motions, we're f$#d.

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I was confused by "Curry" and "Leonard" in your hypothetical lineups. Then I realized you meant Steph's brother, Seth and Kawhi's brother, Meyers.

finsraider and HP3 like this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Cant even remember a star who stayed in a small market team after Tim Duncan....In fact since Dallas and San Antonio I cant remember a team who actually won it all without teaming up to form a super team... So many trade scenario threads and hopes of getting something good in return but at the end of the day it wont matter. I don't even blame Harden, I just don't care.

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Got it, and the Rockets are definitely screwed if that happens.

topfive likes this.